Who were we considering at 39?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by smili, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smili

smili Starter

All, does anyone know who we were considering at 39 when we traded with Philly down to 45? Reese made a comment something like they were considering Lendale amoung others at 39. I'm curious if it came out who the pick was expected to be at 39 if they made it rather than waiting to 45?

2. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

3. smili

smili Starter

Here's who went off the board between pick 39 and 45. I guess I'm wondering if one of these might've been our pick.

39 Philadelphia (from Tennessee) Justice, Winston
    40 Detroit Bullocks, Daniel SS 6-0 213
    41 Arizona Lutui, Taitusi 'Deuce' G 6-4 333
    42 Chicago (from Buffalo) Manning, Danieal SS 5-11 201
    43 New Orleans (from Cleveland) Harper, Roman FS 6-0 197
    44 N.Y. Giants (from Baltimore) Moss, Sinorice WR 5-8 184
    45 Tennessee (from Philadelphia) White, LenDale RB 6-0 237

I'm assuming since we picked Lindale instead of Hester at 45, that Hester wouldn't have been the pick at 39 - but just a guess.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

they might have had their eye on Roman Harper there
    but the pick was Devin Hester
    until Chow made it White

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Harper was a little bit of a reach that early so I doubt Reese was thinking in that direction. They were probally seriously considering Hester and knew they could get him later. Bottom line was the Titans were lucky they dropped down and still got White. I would have been all over him at 39.

6. danny

danny Guest

I give Reese credit on this one. Played poker, didn't blink, and still got the franchise caliber back

7. FLTitansfan

FLTitansfan Guest

They may have been targeting D'qwell but he got scooped so they figured a trade down was more than worth it.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Still can't believe we had Hester on the phone in the 2nd round. That was ridiculous.

I was torn between LenDale and taking Winston Justice. However, having watched Justice interview on "Rome is Burning" let me know the cog wasn't turning just quite right. I will say he was a man about his character issues of the past and seems genuine to move past them and recognize his foolishness for what it was. I think both would have been good pickups; Justice definitely could have started at RT this year -- BUT Chow had to recognize he had the choice between White and Justice, and he chose White instead. White or Justice were the biggest steals of the round IMO, unless I'm forgetting someone, which I don't think I am.

Now what I'm bitter about is those same Eagles picking Max Jean Gilles in round 4. I would have jumped in that round to get him, but who knows? Maybe he'll suck and never get in shape, but man, dude is a pure mauler. I can only hope Lowry makes significant contributions, but he won't be mauling anybody like MJG will.

Devin Hester in round two --- give me a break.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

and Hester wasn't a reach ?

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree Hester was a reach but they were really serious about Hester after they traded down and obviously were targeting him. Harper might have been on their radar but it is pure specualtion that they were targeting him. I'm not sure anyone thought Harper would be a second round pick that early. Harper was more of a guy they might have thought would be around in the 4th round going into the draft.

I also think the Titans were a little brain dead on the Lowry pick. He was ranked alot lower and I'm not sure they were expecting Giles to be there. Hopefully Lowry isn't the second coming of Nickey.

I know it has to be very hectic during the draft process but the whole Hester deal just shows how you can get so focused on one -player you completely miss the forest from the trees. White would have been a real solid pick at 39. They completly lucked out that he was still there later and I think a bunch of teams missed out on a great value at RB in the 2nd round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar