Who Survives The Defensive Transition?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I know I haven't posted much in the last year. My wife and I had our third child, and I've had some uncool back issues since September, so I've missed a lot of football. It's good to be posting with you guys again.

I've been wondering who everyone thinks will make the transition to the 3-4 out of our DL and LBs? Some guys I see having a hard time, potentially are:

Karl Klug
    Lavar Edwards
    Moise Fokou
    Zaviar Gooden
    Antonio "Mookie" Johnson
    Sammie Lee Hill
    Ropati Pitoitua
    Kam Wimbley
    Mike Martin
    Colin McCarthy

I know we've got a bunch of camp bodies on the roster as well, but above is a list of people most of whom have seen significant playing time. Also, some of these guys played 3-4 and didn't excel at it.

I know Ayers, Brown and Morgan will be given a fair shot, but what future do you see for the others?

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

I think Colin McCarthy can surprise some people if he's able to stay healthy. In a new defensive system he could beast. Sammie Lee Hill...man what a letdown he was. I think Pitoitua will be good as a 3-4 DE, and hopefully Mike Martin will do the same. As for the others, I have no idea.

3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Congrats on the new addition, sorry to hear about the back issues.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Klug in no way fits the new scheme. He will have a hard time.

Hill I wonder if this could be the niche is looking for. Possibly at DE.

5. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I think Mike Martin, Sammie Lee Hill, and Mookie are all longshots to make it on the final roster. I hope like hell that Klug and McCarthy can shine in this D because I really like those two. I'm not sure what to make of Fokou, he was ok but I don't whether he's worth keeping around. And Gooden I don't know what to think of him at all.

6. Wolverine

Wolverine Starter

Karl Klug
    Lavar Edwards
    Moise Fokou (3-4 experience)
    Zaviar Gooden (to early to judge)
    Antonio "Mookie" Johnson (3-4 experience)
    Sammie Lee Hill (big bodied to put over the center)
    Ropati Pitoitua (3-4 experience)
    Kam Wimbley (3-4 experience)
    Mike Martin
    Colin McCarthy

After looking at those free agent list, it seems we been building our roster for a 3-4 for a few years now.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. The Hammer

Gooden is young and may make it based on salary. Same with Edwards. And yeah, Martin is another one who could have a tough time. McCarthy should be safe. Will likely make it as he would at least do well enough to backup and is very strong on special teams. Mookie though I think will make it. The addition of Woodyard I think hurts Foku's chances.

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I think Klug will be a better 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DT... The Hammer

9. The Hammer

He gets pushed around too much. Cannot anchor against O linemen which is needed in a 3-4.

10. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

Whiz was not fn around when he said that he wants heathy competition at all positions. He def has it in the front 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar