Who do you not want to see?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titanup1982, Mar 9, 2011.

?
  1. Blaine Gabbert

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Cam Newton

23 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Marcel Dareus

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Jake Locker

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Prince Amukamara

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. Nick Fairley

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Robert Quinn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Blaine gabbert most definitly.

2. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

No Mallett on that list... too obvious, I guess?

After that, I guess I'd say Jake Locker. Without a lot of college knowledge (hehe) or having watched a lot of film (because, as I always say, college football is not my strong suit), he's reminding me a lot of Pat White. I'm just not seeing the ability that's required. He's the kind you'd have to sit for a few years to learn, and I don't know if we have that kind of time.

On a completely unrelated note, Pat White retired from baseball today. ...Seriously, I saw the headline only after I made the comparison... weird...

3. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

It has nothing to do with black and white....it has to do with the ability to read defenses, anticipate open WRs, throw accurately, which he does not do now, but can with work. Which brings me to my point. As we have learned from the draft, and most NFL people are saying the same thing now, the two most important things for a QB in the first round are attitude and work ethic. Everyone of the top 5-7 QBs this year has the talent to be an NFL starter. What will spread them apart is the work they are willing to put in, how they handle the stress of the NFL. How they handle losing, for a lot of the guys, they have not experienced that. We have seen numerous QBs come into the NFL with all the talent in the world and not succeed at becoming a franchise QB. We have one here in Nashville.
    With Cam, it is a question of how hard will he work once he gets to the NFL. Right or wrong, he has to face the same self entitlement questions that VY did. Ryan Mallett does too. Everything is not black and white, quit making it that way. I want a quarterback, don't care what color he is as long he brings a Super Bowl to the Music City.

4. pettso

pettso Starter

I'd be happy if we drafted Newton or Locker. They seem like guys that would put in the time to get better, something VY never did.

5. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

i voted other simply because i want us to trade back and get locker or mallet and pick up and extra pick

6. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

Don't need:
    1) WR... okay guys seriously... we don't need jones, and we don't need green... stop dreaming about it, stop thinking about it... we have much bigger needs then upgrading a position we're set at

2) CB... only if he or finny/verner is willing to shift to safety... our CBs are underrated... we think they suck because the CB blows their coverage and allows big plays... i disagree, we allow big plays because QBs have all the time in the world, literally, they can sip tea before one of our linemens reach him... if he has that much time.. we deserve to get burned... Manning to Wayne for 50 yards should be a given if he has 15 seconds to wait around

3) Cam Newton... because HE'S BLACK! no not in the slightest.. The fact that he's never lost a football game scares me, his accuracy scares me and his intangibles scares me... If the opponent switches up, how will he adjust?
    This is what worries me... not because he's black... I'm sick of that accusation... Obama was black but I didn't vote for him b/c I didn't like his stances on issues.. quit playing the race card... I should be playing it as much as anyone b/c I have the worst engrish out of everyone on this board

nonetheless, I will hope for the best if Newton gets drafted... Never will I root against him.. because that is what a fake Titans fan will do

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Agreee with this. I still think if Peterson falls to us, it's too good to pass up. But I always see the Titans taking a Rd2 or Rd3 CB, and makes zero sense to me! We already have Finnegan (IMO a above average CB) and two young guys with a ton of potential in Vern and McCourt. Plus, don't we still have Rod Hood who's decent..

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

No, not because he's black, because he has no idea how to play the quarterback position. His footwork is awful. He can't read defenses. He can't throw with accuracy. He's never taken a snap in a college game from under center. He played in a gimmick offense in college.

20% of his passes last year were screens. He only threw 12 checkdown passes in an entire season as a starting quarterback.

I know! Let's take a guy who hasn't shown any of the skills it takes to translate into an NFL quarterback because he's big and fast.

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Then why so many comments linking him to Russell or comments about how we don't need another one of that type of QB?

He can't read defenses? How do you know that? A genetic disposition towards that or what? He played in a one read defense. Ok that's an issue but so also did Gabbert and Newton's numbers were better. Much better.

The decisions Newton had to make were solid all year.

Work ethic. Is Newton lazy? What evidence is there to that effect? He hired 4 coaches and an advisor and went 2000 miles to San Diego to work on his game. He obviously showed improvement from the combine to the his pro day. What has he done that indicates he is lazy?

As for handling losing? Good point when he loses a game we can find out. He hasn't lost so far.

The guy is a warrior. He took a team on his back and went undefeated. There is nothing wrong with his attitude. If he wants to be the greatest QB of all time just for the sake of his own ego and glory that is fine with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar