Who do we take at 8?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by gran54, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm going to hold off on commenting until we see who the veteran QB will be. From there, we'll have an idea of what we still need.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Looking at past drafts that has not worked. In 05 the best defensive players on the board were Pacman, Rolle, Derrick Johnson. None of them stud players in the nfl and the guy we drafted was a loser. Maybe if we we were not drafting for need and just took the player with the largest potential impact aaron rogers would be playing for us.

In 06 some of the top defensive players on the board when we took Vy were Michael Huff, AJ Hawk and Donte Whitner.

So we draft a guy like Miller and he is as good as AJ hawk. Big deal. What if the guy we get is mediocre like Rolle or Huff?

A guy like jones can make a far greater impact on our team than one linebacker.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

My take on drafting players is: if you can fill a need, and the prospect can ball at this level, take him. If not, then draft best available player.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

And for those who say we should never draft a Qb at 8 that is also dumb. At what part of the draft did the Steelers get Roethlisberger? At what part of the draft did the Ravens get Flacco?

We could see a situation in which every QB on the board is available to us at 8. Pass on a potential franchise player for some linebacker who might get you 100 tackles a year?

Von miller helped the Texas A&M defense to be ranked 6th overall in the big 12. How does that compare to a franchise QB? A 1200 yard WR?

5. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

It's not that I'm against taking a QB early, but it's THIS draft class that is especially weak at QB. The last few years there's been franchise QB's coming out like Bradford, Ryan, Stafford, but there doesn't seem to be anybody in this draft that is a can't miss like those guys. I personally like Mallett but he's a statue and can't move at all, plus the rumor is there are off the field issues. Gabbert and Newton both played predominately in the shotgun and didn't play in a "pro style" offense, and the senior bowl proved that Locker has a lot of issues with accuracy. Those are the top 4 in the drat that are considered 1st rounders.

You can't judge Von Miller by how his TEAM's overall defense is. He's just one player. Just like you can't say, "Chris Johnson isn't very good or his team would have made the playoffs." Miller is a stud, the top LB in the draft, and is at a position of need for us. TE's killed us every game last year because our LBs were too slow to cover. Taking Miller would remedy that and greatly strengthen our defense.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How much better a prospect is Von Miller than AJ hawk or Derrick johnson? Neither of them have made a pro bowl. Do they single handedly make their teams good?

Hawk ran a 4.47 40 on his pro day. Johnson ran a 4.52 40 at his combine. Is Miller faster than that? Both are about the same size as miller.

Miller had 10.5 sacks this past year? Hawk had 10 his last year at Ohio State.

I have another one for you ready? Aaron Curry. Solid run stopping SAM linebacker but a huge difference maker? No. I watched him in the playoffs he didn't do much at all. He was talked about as the possible first pick in the 09 draft. Is miller a better prospect then him? Curry was 254 and ran a 4.52 at his combine. Miller goes 245 and is projected to run a 4.60. We will see.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Yes my point exactly. So why not draft a player who can have more long term impact like a potential pro bowl WR who can transform our offense and take it to another level or take a chance on a franchise QB.

As for your can't miss theory of QBs? Roethlisberger and Flacco were not can't miss players. Neither played at a major school. Rogers certainly wasn't considered can't miss since he lasted until pick 24.

You mentioned Bradford and Stafford but they were 1st picks.

Draft a guy like Cam Newton and you might have elite franchise QB. Draft a guy like Miller and you just have another good defensive player.

8. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

That has has nothing to do with this draft. You can't base a player off of comparisons to other players. For example the best wideouts in 2005 were Edwards, Williams, Jones, and Williamson. Out of all of those impact wideouts none of them are elite talents and in fact they only have one 1000 yard receiving year between them.

So we draft a guy like Jones and he is just as good as Braylon Edwards. Big deal. What if the guy we get is horrible like Williamson or (Matt) Jones?

See it works equally as well for your statement. Just because one year had a bad crop of college talent come in that doesn't have any bearing on this years draft. In truth there is no drafting strategy that is going to work 100% of the time. Jones is just as likely to bust as Amukamara, Miller, and Quinn are. There is no such thing as a can't miss prospect coming out of college; it doesn't matter if you draft for need or BPA.

Every team places a certain value on players based on their individual talent and potential to make an impact on their team in the long term future of the franchise. Let's say we pick Amukamara #8 overall (and yes he would be the BPA as I think he will have a better pro career then Jones) and he has a rookie season similar to Devin McCourty. I would say he would have an high level of impact on our team wouldn't you?

9. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

It's not like Jones is a once in a lifetime talent here. I'll admit if AJ Green is there at #8 overall then the Titans need to pull the tigger but Jones it isn't like Jones is some magical can't miss propect here. How is he better then Micheal Crabtree? Braylon Edwards? Mike Williams? Malcolm Kelly? All were big name WR that were suppose to be elite talents in the league that have not lived up to expectations.

I love that you don't mention the other side of the coin here though. What if Miller turns to be the next Ray Lewis or Kieth Bullock? You can't just compare people based on stats and 40 time and say that is how there NFL career will turn out.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You know who Prince Amukamara reminds me of? Antrel Rolle. Good size, some good qualities but does not have elite speed. If i'm going to draftb a CB with the 8th pick i want elite speed.

If we continue to play a lot of cover 2 type defense his value would be diminished. Don't get me wrong a very interesting player but more in the Rolle-Jammer-Trufant mold than a Charles Woodson caliber guy. Of course how many Charles woodsons do you get a chance to draft?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar