Who do we miss the most? Schwartz or Haynesworth?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by rcarie, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

No doubt about it. Haynesworth.

Our scheme has not changed. Haynesworth taking double or triple teams allowed our Defensive ends to be good. The pressure helped the secondary. We are making busters look like probowlers against us. Losing the best defensive player in the NFL is much more important than losing Schwartz.

We had one good game against Pittsburg last year so everyone thinks Haynesworth was expendable. Guess what, we did good against them with our defense this year. Throughout a season, Haynesworth is much more valuable than Schwartz.

It's not like that Lions defense has looked very good this year.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Haynesworth and the Hype of Haynesworth. Double Teams. Opened everything else up. He has the talent. And he had the image of being talented. It makes all the difference. The game is both physical and psychological. Shame too. It was such an easy decision to keep the best player.

Schwartz, I dunno. Less so. But I cannot deny that he kept our Defense on the right page for a long time. He is missed today. I know that much. The team he has in Detroit is not his team. He needs at least 3 years to turn it around from a losing culture.

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Can I vote for neither?

The sad truth is the people we're missing the most are still on the field. Hope, Griffin, Bulluck, Finnegan, Harper, Kearse, KVB. With the clear exception of Tulloch I'm not sure any defensive player is playing up to his own standards. Obviously that points to coaching and Cecil - but the ghosts of Big Al and Schwartz aren't causing the defense to bite on every fake and not get off blocks. If I saw good fundamentals and still got bad results, I'd say Schwartz over Albert by a nose. But this defense would still stink with both of them back.

4. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

big al.....no questin

were sucking and from what i read he's not like he was. if D calling was such a problem fish would have taken over the duties this i no; so obviously its not that.

big al was good enough to make 3 probowlers out of what loooks today to be a very mediocre secondary.

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Not calling you out RCarie, but wasn't our Vaunted D ranked #7 overall last year?

I still think it should've been ranked much higher, but the coaching was holding us back from being pure explosive.

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

But that's been the case for the past 5 years, Schwartz did the same thing, the only thing different was Fat Al.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

You said it yourself...

This defense is built like the old Tampa D under Dungy. Pressure with the front 4, aggressive secondary zone coverage, and flow to the ball vs the run. Without pressure from the front 4, our Pro Bowl secondary looks more like a college secondary. But we've seen around the league...no pressure and it doesn't matter who you have covering.

I thought we'd miss Haynesworth more vs the run since we have some good DT pass rushers, but I'm surprised how ineffective KVB has been. Additionally, the execution of the defensive playcalls, coverage breakdowns, and miscommunications have been even more surprising.

I don't think Cecil is in over his head in terms of just running the D. He may be in terms of 'fixing' these problems that a vet D shouldn't be having. Even when the play calls are perfect, someone(s) seem to find a way to negate them.

I doubt Schwartz could do anything different with this group seeing as it took him years (WITH HAYENSWORTH) to even get this D respectable. He's having the same problems in Detroit. He's no Rex Ryan!

Having Haynesworth back would make a HUGE difference...but so what. That doesn't change where we are...just identifies the problems more effectively. Question is, how do you FIX these problems?

Gut

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Aren't they kind of one in the same? I mean Schwartz is doing nothing without Haynesworth, Haynesworth is doing nothing without Schwartz, and worst of all we can't do a single thing right because they're both gone. I miss Haynesworth way more if I had to pick one. I'd even take Adam Jones and Andre Woolfolk back at this point. 0-4 is a cold dark place meant for the Raiders, and or other disgraces of the league. This is no place for the Titans.

9. thepoonerboy

thepoonerboy Jake "Lockout" Locker

we dont miss albert haynesworth...i love albert dont get me wrong...he was the player who got me to play defensive tackle when i used to watch him as a kid at UT..but we didnt need him. he played 2 good years for us and last year wasnt even that good...we have the best defensive line coach and i have faith in our line...Jason jones is going to become a star as he grows up under this dline we have great depth...we miss schwartz...bad really bad..he knew how to put our backfield in position to make plays and with cecil here all he does is sit back and say "Ok pass on us we will do our best" he doesnt know how to read the offense and predict what they are going to be running..its a huge chess game and apparently cecil doesnt know which ways the pieces go...we get pressure on the qb but not the type we had with haynesworth because he is just big.. we smacked garrard around during the game but still got passed all over...remember...we beat the superbowl steelers last year without haynesworth we didnt need him then and we dont need him now...

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Neither. As others have already pointed out our defensive philosophy hasn't changed, our execution however has.

The only thing I noticed yesterday was that we often play vanilla on the line (speedrushing ends and bullrushing tackles), but we're not getting there. However when we did do line stunts we seemed to get a lot more pressure on Garrard. Which caused me to think about last year, how we'd mix things up, lining Haynesworth up at end, stunting inside or outside, etc. to keep the O-line guessing.

And then of course we're missing tackles left and right...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar