Where is VY? (all things Vince Young goes here)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by grindtime, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

It definitely contributed. I think defenses were very content this year stopping CJ and letting VY beat them deep a couple times a game, which is essentially what happened.

Think about the things we almost never saw the last two years: quick throws, screen passes, attacking the middle of the field. Our passing offense was almost strictly working outside the numbers. There isn't another NFL offense that's handcuffed that much.

2. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Don't remember T.O and Moss dividing the locker room in half.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

So essentially his QB rating went from 71 to 82 and 98 when he actually had talent to work with... I don't see a problem with that.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I don't have a problem acknowledging that he played better with better talent around him. I do have a problem with the people who say he makes the guys around him better. His "intangibles" are nonexistent, thus, why he will never be more than a serviceable QB.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

VY brings all the intangibles of Cordell Stewart without the 'slash'

6. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

There's some people who are just truly blind and/or ignorant to the fact that 2010 VY was a very good QB that was still improving.

Hate all you want on Vince's off-the field issues, but don't hate on his play the past few years. If you thought he was the one holding back the offense you were blind.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Last year, Vince Young was a whole lot better than he had been previous seasons but the guy has durability issues. That can not be denied. He was too hurt too often and if he was so great like some of you insist he wouldn't have had so many injuries and if he was really a cerebral signal caller he wouldn't have had that weird meltdown. If you are a professional, which clearly, to me, Vince Young is not, you don't do the type of things that Vince does. You don't have emotional tirades. You don't chunk pads in the stands. You don't quit.

Look, for what it's worth, I REALLY want VY to get a chance SOMEWHERE. Someone mentioned Philadelphia. I'd love that. I'd love to see how he reacts to true hostility from fans. I'd love to see him in the AFC South, especially Houston. If VY was a Texan it would definitively close the book on VY. He would be in an ideal environment, suited to him. He'd play Tennessee twice a year... I'd LOVE it. I want to see VY play football. I also would be gratified to watch him fail. I'm a little bitter over what a disappointment he was to me personally.

8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

There's no denying that Vince's injuries here held him back. That's my biggest and only knock on the guy (besides the Fisher incident) and its one that you have to take into consideration.

But check this out...

That's why I want Vince on the team even more. There's a rookie QB on the team who would push Vince to perform at a high level. They've got similar speed and both are athletic (although different running styles). Vince's knock coming into the league was accuracy. Vince won rookie of the year and was the 1st round draft pick.

It would be one of the best QB situations in league history. Locker would have something to shoot for (starting spot from Vince and to top his career in Tennessee) and Vince would have something to prove. Maybe they'd push each other to become better (win-win for us) and then at the end of the season we dump Vince and have Locker (unless Vince just plays so bada*s we vow to keep him).

Palmer will be Locker's mentor and while Vince hasn't always made the best decisions, it seems like his teammates like him. It could be a good competitive relationship between the two instead of something divisive if Vince agreed to it. It'll be a good rivalry after the season when Locker takes over and the two play head-to-head.

It's my opinion that keeping Vince could be a good thing if the team was ok with it (players). If Vince divided the locker room (players), instead of the Front Office, then I'd give VY the boot just like the current decision.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Your dreaming man. I couldn't disagree more. Asking my wife for a threesome with the chick up the street has a far better chance of happening. For clarity's sake, that ain't gonna happen.

There's several problems with your fantasy. I hope me terming it that doesn't offend you. That's what it is though. It is a fantasy, but let me ask you, for the sake of argument, how do you pay for it, or rather, who do you NOT pay to be stacked at qb? We already are in a position to OVER-pay Chris Johnson. It's money that should be spent IMHO. You can't have VY with his big money contract and a new draft pick signed to a multi year deal co-exist. Do you extend VY? How do you pay for that?

What happens when VY does typical VY stuff? VY is trying to re-establish himself, true, but what happpens when Munchack decides Locker offers the best chance to win, maybe because VY has a minor injury, hyper extended calf or something relatively minor? VY has proved that he doesn't respond well to that type of adversity. He is a rouge kind of mentality. He's not rank and file. Now, they talk about the "culture change" at the position... what does that mean? Locker and Young are both wired differently.

From what I've read about Locker the guy is a saint. VY and JL are too different. The competition would not be healthy. VY would offer nothing positive to Locker. Add to that, VY has shown that he can divide a locker room. Just ask Kenny Britts towel. Do you really want to see two different teams like we've seen in the past? I've seen our receivers unable to catch a cold with KFC in over a benched Young. I'm through with Young. I still want to see him play football, just not for the Titans.

10. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

You make a lot of different points. So I'm going to address them separately.

1) Vince's contract will be up at the end of the year. We were expecting to pay him before the season was over and we're not in danger of running out of cap space to sign a few free agents and our rookies. Financially we could have Jake Locker and Vince Young on the same team.

2) If VY gets injured, Locker is our number 2 QB. Locker will replace Young. If VY has off-the field issues or does something in the locker room then Locker starts. If Munch feels that Locker develops fast enough to start then Locker starts. Young is on his way out and Locker is our new QB. Nothing changes.

3) If anything that would push Vince to walk the straight and narrow. He'd know from the organizations stance on him that he was expendable. If anything he'd want to have a strong year so he could earn a good contract next season somewhere. He'd be able to clear up his image issues and show he's a team player.

And as far as KB and the towel, what are you really trying to say? Was Britt trying to show support for Vince or piss of Fisher? What does it say about the player's disposition?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar