Where is VY? (all things Vince Young goes here)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by grindtime, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScotTitan

ScotTitan Starter

If VY is able to keep his personal emotions in check and man up. then yes I agree with you that VY is a better QB than any of those guys, right now.

2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

If it has to come to a rookie developing behind a veteran, then Orton is not a bad choice. However, let's not pretend this perversion of stats means Orton or Palmer (really?) are playing better football than Young as of recent. You like stats. So do I. Here's a chart.

[​IMG]

Can you guess what that represents? That represents each QB's rating over the last five seasons they have played (Orton and Young have only played five seasons). Notice how Young's seasons have a sharp upward incline over the last couple years? Notice how Palmer's are plateau'ing into mediocrity? Notice how Orton's are plateau'ing into mediocrity? If you want to win football games now, Orton and Palmer are not as good a choice as Young at the moment, based purely on recent performance.

Palmer had his heyday, but that's been a while. Orton seems to be hitting his ceiling, but you never know. The only one that truly seems to be on the rise is Young. Does that mean we are going to keep Young? Very likely not, but I seriously doubt that decision is being based on play.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

You really need to be reminded that Vince Young was fighting to keep playing? Is that all the more reason to cut Kenny Britt? Did that make you want to get rid of Haynesworth after his monster '07 and '08 seasons? I'm pretty sure you were thankful he helped contribute toward a winning effort when he was on the field, same as you are thankful for Kenny now. Players get hurt playing football. If we just decided to cut Kenny because he doesn't stay healthy, we wouldn't have seen his monster game against the Eagles this past season. Where's the rationality?

You keep throwing this sig bet out there. Nobody is saying that the Titans are going to keep Young, only that the possibility exists and that he may be the best of our options going into next season. Again, where's the rationality?

4. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Nice post...and i agree about Carson, he is not worth the 1st round pick it would take to get him from Cincy. Orton however would be every bit as good for this team as Young. What your chart fails to show, is that VY's "rise" is over 19 games over 2 seasons...while he has played better, his rise isn't nearly as sharp as the graph would show. Orton's "ceiling" represents two full seasons (he played 14 games this year due to the coaching change and the organization wanting to see what they had in Tebow). If you want to compare the 9 games VY played last year to Orton's first 9, that's fine...here it is.
    VY 98.6...59.6%.....10/3
    Orton 96.4...62%....16/5

That is basically the same QB, one has a touch higher rating, the other a touch higher compeltion %, TD/INT ratio is basically the same. Age is about the same. Just looking at the #s I couldn't say I would take one over the other. Orton has shown an ability to stay healthy, VY hasn't.
    Personally, giving what we know about VY's history with this organization, I would take a fresh start with a QB that has shown he can play just as well. Kyle Orton. Again, assuming he is available through trade. Palmer, Kolb, McNabb, I cannot say we would be better on the field with...with one exception, if we were to draft Cam, Locker, or Kaepernick, I would love to see McNabb brought in to mentor them. It may not make us better on the field then we were in the first half of 2010, but it would be great for the future of the organization.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

For anyone who's interested, here's every VY play, good and bad, from the 2010 season (without annoying music and includes some snips of VY and Fisher wired after VY hurt his thumb):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnCZ7N_H5fE

Based on what was shown, at 1:24:18, seems like Fisher was pretty quick to throw in the towel for VY and didn't even let the guy finish talking. Fisher preferred his 3rd-string rookie quarterback, who hasn't thrown a single pass, without hesitation than take two seconds to check on his "franchise" quarterback and/or give him a one series audition at least.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I'm not claiming that's what you're saying, but yes indeedee folks there is someone still saying VY will be back.. Are you reading all the posts here?
    And... the chart is hilarious and by no means represents what any of those outside QBs would do here. We have a good idea of the shenanigans VY brings though - who accounted for a whopping three wins last season.
    Next.

7. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Nobody is saying VY WILL be back next season. This is simply the All things VY related thread where all VY possibilities are discussed.

The fact is, we've got a QB who we know can play the game and produce wins that we don't have to give up draft picks for and no matter what, is out of our hair after next season.

Some are arguing its better to give VY the last year of his contract and focus on drafting defense. He's better than the other options out there and our offensive weapons like him.

Even if we draft a QB in the 1st round, it doesn't solve our QB problems this season. We're not "idiots" or "irrational" because we see things differently. In fact, when rational explanations have been given (stats, charts, QB ratings) personal attacks and changing of the goal posts is all that results.

8. Titanite

Titanite Pulling for VY...Sue me.

TOPIC BUMP!!!!!!!!

lol Vince Young being too stupid to play and too good not to, lol Titans, lol Circle Jerk of Rationality Club being focused on one poster, lol STILL believing CJoRC members can be convinced with facts

lol Vince Young again...Minnesota is cold. Then again, Miami has nice weather...

9. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I understand why you would want to make that comparison. Young's injury history is a legitimate concern. But isn't Orton's Annual performances just as legitimate a concern? The guy has crashed and burned in every second half of his season every year he's been in the league. Vince Young didn't get to play. He obviously wanted to, but wasn't allowed. Orton was basically benched in favor of Tebow, TEBOW, after laying some real stinkers on the field. I think his seasonal rating is justified because that has been the pattern over his entire career. He could change? Yes. I would put more stock into Young staying healthy for an entire season. It happened once at least, and when he gets hurt, he's not stinking it up on the field. He gets out of the way (when he's not telling his coach to shove off). We probably won't see eye to eye on this, but that's OK. I do appreciate the civil discussion.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

No, I definitely don't have time to read each and every post on this forum. That would be an awesome job. I would do it if it paid the bills. Chances are I missed the posts you're referencing, because I have yet to read a single post where someone said that the Titans would definitely be bringing Young back. You keep throwing this sig bet out there. Who are you expecting to get action from?

Glad you enjoyed the chart. I figured it was time to whip out the crayons. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar