What to do with Mariota past 2019

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Whitters21, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

i never even mentioned watson

and what goalposts did i move? you said you could find a game where brady got outplayed by manziel, so show me it. simple as what you said.

I mean, unless you were just completely full of **** and making stuff up.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I wasn't. I responded and QUOTED abc's post saying Mariota thinks he can beat 53 guys on the other team himself...which was a poor response to CJ's post about Mariota beating Watson (not Winston) in a head to head battle. I just pointed out that CJ had said Mariota beat ONE player head to head. He didn't say Mariota beat the whole team by himself.

See the problem is, you guys make stuff up and then bash your made up stuff as if we said it.

TROLL TROLL TROLL!!!

So I'm guessing we'll never see you complain about another QB outperforming our QB in a game since those stats don't matter, right???

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
  3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

You're not playing HIS game???

YOU were the one who said you could do it. That makes it YOUR game!!! And since we were talking about HEAD to HEAD qb stats...THAT is what you need to provide!

Have fun!

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

He just trolls...but he's good at that!

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

got caught in his own lie lol

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
  6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

So you don't believe in comparing qb stats over a game or a season? Since in either case, according to your logic, they are playing in different offenses and against different defenses with different players, right?

BTW, I'm just repeating back to you what you said above to make sure you mean what you're saying.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

No one is ONLY basing qb talent off a head to head matchup. Try keeping up!

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

<yawn...> Try again.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

HE changed the goal posts? A good try at misdirection...but he just asked you to put up (find where Manziel outplayed Brady head to head)…

...you make a claim...but then won't "bother" to prove it.

I see.

10. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

Yup, the OL was not great for the first 2/3 of the year. But don't for one moment sit there and tell me that a lot of those pressures that Marcus got were not his own fault. I sat in the stadium for the entirety of probably the worst game I've ever seen in professional football when we played the Ravens. Some sacks were quick pressure by a good D play or a blown block. But just as many or more were Marcus seeing the rush and his play completely breaking down. And that went on all season.

And the run game was not great in the first half of the season. That was the part of the year where we went 5-6 and 1 of those wins came with Gabbert starting. What did Marcus do during that time to elevate the team? He got us a big win against the Pats and somehow pulled one out of a hat against the Eagles. Those were awesome! Now if he could only do that on a consistent basis we'd be in business.

But the only thing that actually got this team in the win column and in the playoff hunt was not Marcus, it was the OL and run game finding their legs. That's a problem for Marcus. This is a team game, yes. But there's a reason the QB is the most important position on field. With the way the cap, FA, and the draft is set up, you can't just go out there and build a juggernaut team that's just missing a QB. This isn't college, you can't be Alabama and Ohio State and recruit the best talent in the country and win in spite of your QB. That position is the one spot that can make a major impact on every game and differentiate your team from everyone else. Marcus doesn't do that for us right now. We've had 4 years and we're still sitting here arguing if he ever can. That's a problem!
    Injuries suck, but they're part of the game. Does Brady/Rodgers/Mahomes/Big Ben/Brees/Wilson/Rivers/Watson/Luck's games go to complete crap when they lose a receiving weapon? No. They find other ways to get the job done.

Am I saying that Marcus is the worst QB ever, or that he doesn't shine in spots? Absolutely not! He's looked great in some games, and that drives me nuts because it just makes no sense why he looks so terrible in others.
    Agree that the OL and defensive pass rush need help. Rak and Morgan were pathetic at getting a pass rush, so hopefully we can get better there. But you're making my point for me that we need better QB play when you point out other teams shredding our defense. At some point in this league, your D can only be so good. We had a top rated defense and even it still got shredded. It will be very rare that you'll ever have a teams D be so shut down that you can get by on scoring 17 points a game. We need a playmaker at our QB position to compete with the rest of the league, and Marcus has not proved that he's it week in and week out.

Not saying at all that it's all on the QB whether we win or lose, but like I said earlier, with the way the NFL is setup now, the QB is the one position that has the most control over whether you win or lose. They differentiate your team more than any other single position. And this isn't a thread about what to do with Henry next year, or the defense. It's what to do with Marcus.

The answer to that question is, he's got this one year left, and if he doesn't show marked improvement, he's out.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar