What QB Would Be Best To Bring In To Play And Mentor Locker?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

How do you sound right now? How can coaching not improve accuracy? Repetitions=Coaching, repetitions=accuracy. I shoot 3-pointers in my driveway so when I hit the court, I can find that rhythm quickly and score. Same thing in football.

2. JCBRAVE

What made Brett Favre, broke Brett Favre, and will kill Jay Cutler. Favre use to be able to get away with forcing the ball into tight windows, but those same throws are now leading to interceptions. Favre's never had a problem with throwing the ball to the other team, but the past 2 seasons his anticipation has been horrible. If Locker is Brett Favre Jr., but without the arrogance that led to the picks, then we've struck gold!

3. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

If repetitions=Coaching and repetitions=Accuracy, then Coaching=Accuracy...

That makes no sense...

Pitchers in baseball throw hundreds of pitches weekly, not all people can be Greg Maddox accurate no matter how much they practice. To a certain extent it can help, but it's not like someone who throws 55% in college would be expected to throw 75% of his passes in the NFL with more reps or more coaching (whichever example you want to use).

4. JCBRAVE

Does that really not make sense to you? You can improve accuracy with coaching. Jake knows what he was doing wrong, and now has the time to fix it. His base was too wide, his throws were rushed, his receivers couldn't fill Nate Washington's shoes, his unimpressive completion percentage is justified by several factors. He's not reckless and irresponsible with the ball.

5. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

No it doesn't make sense.

Coaching <> Accuracy

I see the point you attempted to make, but good coaches can have inaccurate QB's. Heck David Carr was the most accurate QB in 2006 hitting almost 70% of his passes, that was because he had an equally great Coach?

Chad Pennington has the highest competion % of any active QB, that's because of his coaches also?

6. JCBRAVE

At some point in Pennington's football career a coach "coached " him up, so yes.

I think our understanding of the term "coach" is different.

7. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

Is it me or has 'accuracy' become a trendy (past couple years) yet ambiguous way to pan a QB that someone doesn't like.

Sports media types have been tossing it around very casually QB X is inaccurate or QB Y is very accurate.

Half the time people mention 'accuracy' they mean completion %.

But, completion % is not the same thing as accuracy.

Accuracy is a very difficult thing to assess because it requires looking at ball placement and location of every throw.

I find it amusing that people can say that McNabb is inaccurate or Brett Favre is inaccurate and actually mean it.

The idea that a top college QB or any NFL QB is inaccurate is silly.
    When someone says that QB X is inaccurate it means that more often then average they can't hit what they're aiming at.

By the time a QB is playing big time college DI college football they've long ago weeded out the QBs that can't hit what they're aiming at.

8. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

i just had horrible visions of David Carr coming to play here.....

9. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

They coach a technique to assist accuracy, they don't coach accuracy.

NFL Scout:
    One such scout says Daniel is probably a fourth-round pick. But another says, "He's accurate in the spread. You can't teach accuracy." He sees Daniel going one round earlier.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3632340

Gil Brandt also says this statement (not that I think he's the end all be all)
    Perhaps you saw where former NFL superscout Gil Brandt is touting Danny (Wuerffel) because ''he has something you can't teach - accuracy.''
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...1_danny-wuerffel-brian-shaw-darrell-armstrong

10. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

So basically your saying that it makes no sense that reps increase accuracy?
    But, then you admit that it can help but not enough to go from 55% to 75%?

Which is it?

Well yeah of course its not likely that a QB is gonna go from 55% comp to 75% because 75% is an absurd figure, how many QBs have ever reached 75%?
    Scott Tolzien from Wisconsin came close with, but he's a good example that comp % doesn't equal accuracy because w/ a 72% comp % Tolzien went undrafted.

The more a QB throws a route the more accurate they become. The more a QB runs plays and throws routes against defenses the more accurate they become because they learn when to throw the ball based on the defense, they know where to throw the ball high vs low, back shoulder vs front shoulder etc.., they learn where their receivers like to catch the ball on a given route vs a given defense etc..etc..etc..

Completion % also goes up w/ reps because they learn where to throw the ball pre-snap, they know where to throw the ball post snap, they see things better with more reps, or like Chad Pennington they know where the checkdowns are.

I think the notion that Locker is inaccurate is a joke.
    For one thing how can someone be considered inaccruate when everyone admits that he has exceptional accuracy throwing on the move. (which is actually harder)

For the life of me I can't understand how Cam Newton isn't under even more scrunity for his accuracy?
    I like Cam Newton but the kid couldn't throw 5 yard speed outs against air at the combine but yet Locker has the accuracy issues?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar