What QB Would Be Best To Bring In To Play And Mentor Locker?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Yeah but he should look better than a 50 year old couch potato. The guy almost needs a bra.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Some rather obvious points are missing. The goal every year should be the same - to win the Super Bowl.

Jake Locker has throwing mechanics issues, doesn't know the playbook, is still working on his footwork, hasn't played vs NFL speed, doesn't read defenses well as far as I can tell....and certainly would be extremely challenged to be able to fix his mechanics, his footwork, know the playbook like the back of his hand, read defenses, make good decisions and be able to execute all of these things under pressure at NFL speed with an accurate throw.

This would be a challenging task under the best of circumstances (full off-season with OT's and training camps, ect). While a vet like McNabb wouldn't know the playbook either, he at least can pick up the terminology faster and won't need to adapt to processing that info and reading defenses at NFL speed. McNabb knows how to handle the pressure of being the face of an NFL franchise.

I think if Locker sits for a year while a vet like McNabb plays, I think we'd be a lot better off in both our (record) chances of making noise in our division and making the playoffs as well as Locker's development as a QB.

Notice that when VY didn't learn the playbook well enough, he was ineffective and confused. When he DID, he played well enough for us to win most games. Give Locker that same chance and his (and our) chances of success will rise dramatically.

On the other hand, should we start McNabb and we don't have a great season and are eliminated from playoff contention and Locker is close enough, I'd give him some starts to get his feet wet. In addition, I'd put some short yardage/goal line packages in for Locker to run if we don't have a mobile vet QB starting. Yet another way he could get his feet wet.

Starting a rookie QB who isn't ready frequently fails. Plus, unless our interior 3 blockers become twice as good as they were last year, I think our run game is gonna stay the same as last year. Widly inconsistent and put our Off in a lot of passing situations.

To develop a young QB in year one, you want them to throw on first and second down in playaction rather than 3rd and 10 vs nickel and dime packages with exotic blitzes coming from every which way. Easier reads for the QB and a lot less pressure. If our run game (our blocking for it) doesn't improve, I don't like throwing Locker into that (a lot of 3rd and longs).

Note that David Carr never recovered from the beatings he took as a young QB. And while our pass blocking is MUCH better than our run blocking, teams will put 9 or 10 in the box if Locker is there to stop CJ, contain locker and make his read defenses and fronts he's not used to.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Come on man. He wasn't in that bad of shape.

4. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

It sounds like you have problems not only with Jake, but with rookie QBs in general.
    And although you may think Jake has all those issues; many people, namely your own staff, would likely disagree.
    They probably don't think there is very much that needs to be 'fixed' about Jake; and I agree with that.

Will Jake need to learn how to become an NFL QB? Of course but every rookie QB does.

But, lets keep this in perspective, afterall we're talking about the 8th pick in the draft, he was drafted that high for a reason.

And without a viable incumbent starter or mentor, I don't see a good reason why a QB this talented couldn't earn the starting job at some point this year.

This my friend, is where we disagree.
    You don't think he's ready.
    I think Jake is as ready as any of the recent 1st round QBs.

Carr took a beating because Houston couldn't pass protect, by all accounts you have one of the better pass protecting OL in the league.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Eugene Amano makes our O-Line horrible Ed.

6. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

I'm not sure what^^ this means or if its even a serious post.
    But, your pass protection ,even despite your implication of Amano individual horribleness, as a unit was good to very good.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Our line was fine in pass protection it was our run blocking that sucked last year after being outstanding the previous 2 years.

Jake Scott didn't have a good year and Harris had problems so it wasn't all Amano.

He did get a nice new contract and as we know guys often have lackluster seasons after that. Maybe this year will be different and Velasco can push both Harris and Amano.

8. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Munchak blamed injury for the Oline problems last season. dont expect a big change.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

At some point we have to conclude David Carr is simply not very good don't we? Using him as the poster child for why not to start a rookie is getting ridiculous. There are numerous QBs who did start their rookie year, didn't necessarily play great but learned from the playing time and continued to improve. Sure you have guys like Rivers and Rodgers who sat a few years but they sat because they had quality QBs in front of them and for the most part even QBs that sit for a year or two don't have great seasons their first year as a starter. Are we really going to argue that Tom Brady, had he started his rookie year, would have been ruined? Ryann, Flacco, Bradford, Freemen, Cutler, Roethlisberger, E. Manning all started significant games as rookies. Freeman as an example was horrid, 59 QB rating in 9 starts as a rookie but then had a 96 rating his second season.

Obviously we don't know how well Locker is going to transition to the NFL but we don't have the luxury of sitting him very long and I seriously doubt playing him early will ruin him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar