What Peyton Manning is doing (and how to beat him)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcane

Arcane One Day...

In order for what you are saying to be true, you would have to have very intelligent players around you who can also understand the adjustments and play changes. It couldn’t all be attributed to Manning.

In other words, crafting an offensive play from scratch at the line of scrimmage (Which you seem to be suggesting) would never work because several people (This is a team sport remember) would get lost and screw it up. It is hard enough for these guys to remember the plays that are written down, much less adjust on the fly to some spontaneous creation.

Peyton has his choice of plays; he then reads the defense and may change the play as needed. While impressive, this is nothing new.

He just does it better than anyone else.

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Manning takes pride in being the best. He is light years ahead of most QB's in the NFL. If you break in his house and search around you'll find notes and chalk boards full of formations and plays. He wont even tell Eli his years of work and secrets.

3. globelieves

globelieves Starter

lol. Manning is many things, including an anal, controlling, perfectionist who has admitted he can't watch his brother's games because he ends up standing on his bed yelling at the television. Watch him closely when Indy screws up and his head looks like it's about to explode. The man is obsessive. It's actually a little sad.

4. Arcane

Arcane One Day...

It's not sad at all. At the end of the day, when he is finished playing he may not have the most rings, but he will definately be respected as one of the best QB's to ever live. You don't get there by laughing a lot and taking it easy.

I think he will win another ring before he retires, which sadly means the Titans won't win that ring.

5. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Fervently discussing football on the Internet is a little sad. Being the very best at a professional sport that nets you millions of dollars is not sad.

Well, it all sounds like pretty credible stuff. Somehow, the thing that it made me think though, was... surely it mustn't be much fun to play for the Colts? They have success, but it sounds like way too much work. :ha:

If I had been on the roster, I would have jumped ship after the Super Bowl and gone to play for the Raiders. Make more money than you're worth and slack off on the field. :brow:

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I don't think what you are saying is true at all. All the WRs need to know is their route. It makes no difference whether they get that assignment in the huddle or at the line from Manning. It doesn't take above-average intelligence for anyone other than Manning for that to work.

7. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

If he is this amazing, why does he only have one superbowl? I love Peyton, despite hating him (As much sense as that makes) I think this article is giving him a bit too much credit.

8. TorontoTitanFan

The article attempts to address why Manning sometimes folds under pressure. I agree that it remains the biggest enigma about him.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Apart from the bit about remembering all plays 3 years in the past, nothing in that article is unrealistic, in fact many QB's do just that.

The difference is only that Manning is much better at it than most.

Of course I'm still waiting for TorontoTitanFan to point out the parts that Manning does differently from any other QB in the world, so I could be wrong...

10. TorontoTitanFan

The part that he does differently from every other QB in the league is the entire thing.

No other QB goes up to the line without a play called, reads the entire defense (blitzers, coverage, etc.) and then creates the entire play (including line blocking assignments) on the spot. No other QB in the history of the league has done that. Peyton does it almost every single play.

QBs typically get the play call from the offensive coordinator, communicate the play call in the huddle, go up to the line and then some QBs (the smarter ones) occasionally audible to either change to another pre-determined play or change a route for 1-2 WRs. None of that is even close to what Peyton Manning does.

Do you really not think there's a difference? I think it's very clear that the gap is enormous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar