What is wrong with me..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ryan, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

My sister-in-law had the same thing with panic attacks... she went through several different medications (some that either didn't really help or had side-effects she didn't like). Anyway her doctor finally got her on the right medicine and the right dosage, and it's made all the world of difference. Things in her life have kinda settled down, and now she's at a point where she may be able to taper off her medication. So yea, medication can be good, and it doesn't mean it's forever.

And elfin's right about needing more than meds - a good doctor should help beyond that. Therapy sounds hokey to a lot of people - guys especially, but it can really help. Haynesworth said it helped him a ton, so if it's good for a bad ***** like him I guess it's good for anyone.

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

[​IMG]
    :ha:

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Dude you sound like Tom Cruise. Just kidding.

When a patient visits a doctor with these type of symptoms there are a number of profiling exercises/questions that the doctor should go through with the patient before prescribing any medication.

The purpose of the questions is to determine the nature of the problem so that the cause is diagnosed properly rather than just treating the symptoms.

For a good number of people the cause is an external problem. The patients may have a psychological issue which manifests itself through real physical symptoms. The problem is that some people have clinically recognized chemical imbalances in their brains that cannot be corrected by a counselor or psychologist alone.

Some people need meds.

As Starkiller said though,meds can mask the problems without solving them. It's crucial that doctors don't go for the easy option & simply prescribe meds at the drop of a hat.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Ryan, if you don't ask about it,Doctors don't always inform you of any side effects the medication might have.

If you are prescribed medication it's important to know that the medication will take a number of days or even weeks before it starts to make you feel better. During this time chemical levels in the brain are changing in response to the medication.

If you are prescribed meds you need to be aware that the medication may make your symptoms worse before they start to help you. You need to talk this through with your family members & make sure they keep an eye on you.

5. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

If it takes a while then it takes a while. I cant stand it anymore.

6. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

The main thing to this whole ordeal is... It effects my sleeping.. And I cant have that anymore. I cant sleep at night. No matter how tired I feel I always fall asleep either wrong or way too late, I cant even tell you the last time I was in bed at a decent time.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm not a doctor or stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night wanted to ask if you do any physical activity on a regular basis?

This might sound out there to those who know me know and my big, happy self now but I was once advised to deal with the stress of a career which was eating my life with Tae Kwon Do.

Within two months, the stress issues I was having (along with headaches and other assorted physical pains) went away. I worked out 3-4 times a week. 30 minutes of stretching. 30 minutes of floor work, katas, etc. followed by 30 minutes of sparring (with full pads).

Any regular physical activity helps but nothing before or since has been as productive for me as this.

8. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

Well does GYM count?

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Dodgeball? I don't think so.

Seriously, continuous heart rate up for 20 minutes or so is said to help with stress and depression.

But Tae Kwon Do also was a lot about control, discipline, confidence and so on. I got to understand the stress and deal with it better. Other activities give you the same positive things.

And did I mention you get to kick arse? :yes:

10. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Elfin:

I hear you on the meds, and they have their place; but I did it your way, and it didn't work because, like Star said, it's often just masking.

Some scripts actually worsen the situation, and people die. Docs prescribe because they get paid to (directly and indirectly).

Some people react well to them, and decide that it's the cure-all...then can NEVER get control of their lives. They constantly pressure docs for more. This has destroyed my mom's life.

It is wise that we advise against going straight to meds just because it's fashionable. Let's let the pros decide that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar