What is wrong with me..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ryan, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

Just a quick question. Would what I have also give me a dry mouth?

2. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

Well some good news. I explained to my dad what I have and I told him I really think I should go to the doctors to get it checked out and get it fixed so hopefully when I go there he says I do have "anxiety" and he gives me something to get rid of it. Just telling him I had to problem and knowing I'm going to possibly get it cured makes me feel better about it. I cant wait to live a normal life again and not have to worry about every dam thing there is to worry about.

I mean come on..

3. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

I love you guys and all, but you really need to pump the brakes on the whole, "NO MEDS" bandwagon. I work as a healthcare professional and specialize with the elderly population. A lot of "well meaning" family members have delayed helping "Mama" by their anti-meds stance. They are not in the facility when "Mama" is wilding out at 2:30 a.m. and would have benefitted from a mild dose of ativan. They think that perhaps Daddy should think happy thoughts instead of taking an anti-depressant.

The truth is that Daddy can't just turn on a happy button when he finds himself in an ER, transferred to rehab and seeing his once free life diminished to assisted living. Daddy no longer goes to an office and all he has to look forward to are the visits from family.

When prescribed in a responsible and titrated manner, prescription drugs really are the cure. A lot of young people have taken their lives because their family and parents feel that their youth should be able to see them through. Just spending more time with friends and involved in school activities is not the answer. Children with anxiety attacks and depression disorders who suffer from lack of sleep will tell you that they can be surrounded by friends or at a party with their peers and feel utterly alone.

Sometimes all it takes is a minimal dosage of a mild antidepressant to turn things around. Young people like to feel like something is being done.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I certainly wouldn't argue against meds as one solution, elf. I just advise to try other things first. I completely agree that there are MANY situations where medication is needed. But just because you're having a problem doesn't mean that you need a pill. I just meant to encourage Ryan to try many things, rather than starting with medication.

5. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Like beer.......

6. I can't speak for your situation specifically, but saliva production is controlled subconsciously by the brain (ie Pavlov's dogs). Long story short, it's possible. Being nervous/stressed is often related to having a dry mouth.

But that's hardly a guarantee that the two issues are connected.

7. I doubt anyone is suggesting that taking medication is always a bad idea. But lots of studies show that antidepressants are about as effective as a placebo.

I'm all for drugs to fix physical problems, but I tend to think that psychological problems (where they aren't causes by physical issues) shouldn't be treated long term by drugs. There are always extreme cases that are exceptions, of course, but I'd say lots of these drugs are more about masking the problems and less effective than actually trying to solve them.

8. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Take your pills, and everything will be allright.....NOW!!!

[​IMG]

9. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

This young man is on a football website expressing his anxiety. Just because you start a med doesn't mean that you're on it for life. A responsible healthcare professional would go with a 3 prong approach of a mild antidepressant, therapy sessions and behavior modification with a goal of ending the medication.

See, mental health is still a big taboo, especially among males. By the time a person gets to the point of telling people and going to a doctor, they have tried several self help remedies.

I speak from experience. I had anxiety attacks when I graduated from high school and was going college. The transition apparently freaked me out. I've had some other episodes where I've taken Zoloft and then I was able to taper off to not taking it at all.

I'm just sensitive to the "anti-med" thing because I see the way this belief from family members affect the people that I see at my job. I've had 75 year old people with broke hips who don't ask for pain meds because their family members are in the room. It's frustrating.

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Elf, I don't think anyone disagrees with you that medication is the right choice for many people, however I'm sure you will also agree that if medication is not needed it shouldn't be used. None of us here can accurately determine the severity of Ryans problem, so it's fair to caution the use of medication until he sees a proper professional.

And Starkiller, I think there exist sufficient clinical evidence to support that some psychological problems are caused by what can best be described as chemical imbalances in the brain and in which case medication would be the most obvious cure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar