What are you willing to do to re-build?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Oct 14, 2019.

?
  1. Tank

39.5%
  2. Trade starters

34.2%
  3. Both

34.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Eh....why quibble

2. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Metthead

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Breathe in slowly. Exhale. Repeat.

Lewan is guaranteed $50M as part of his new deal. If he were to be traded, the Titans take a cap hit of over $39.3M. Wait until next year and that number is still $22.6M.

You say he's underperforming. I agree. So why would any team in the NFL want to take on his current deal? The Titans would have to eat a bunch of it AND draft a LT in the first (instead of a QB) or take the top LT who becomes a free agent who won't be anywhere close to the talent Lewan is and likely overpay.

It's okay to be angry at Lewan. He screwed the pooch getting caught with PEDs and isn't playing well. He needs to STFU and play football. But there's no way in hell he'll get traded.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  4. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

There is no doubt in my mind (before the preseason) that Lewan was being vastly overpaid. The problem is, he is an above average LT and they don't grow on trees. I seriously doubt we could have let him go, then went out and replaced him with someone as good or better for the same price range. We most likely would not be able to do better and we most certainly could have done worse.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

That’s fair enough. But you can you honestly tell me you wouldn’t trade him if somebody offered a 1st? We’re in a 3-5 year window again with a QB replacement IMO- that cap hit doesn’t scare me at all. And I’d need to research who takes the cap on in today’s trades- I’m not sure you’re accurate with the statement we have his cap hit for two years after a trade.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Tanking and trading vets for anything of significant value are not happening. This thread is nothing more than a fantasy.

• LOL LOL x 1
  7. Carp

Carp Starter

Jackson has been legit a shutdown corner this year according to PFF. He is young, and has 2 more years on his rookie contract. He better have a 1st round cost. Hump and Wake are more late round values. I mean we got a 7th rounder for Taywan Taylor. Pretty sure a couple useful vets like Hump and Wake could at least net a 6th rounder.

8. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Wow, you're right. He's allowed 12 receptions during the entire year.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The cap numbers I quoted are based on his signing bonus already paid to Lewan. When you trade a player, you have to pay off the entire amount instead of spreading it over the length of the contract. The smaller number was if they did the trade after the start of the new NFL year.

Though I can't imagine why someone would give up a high first for Lewan since you say he stinks, has no future and they'd have to take on his contract, I guess it would depend how early in the first. The Titans would need to draft a LT and a talent of Lewan which is easily a top 10 pick. That kills the opportunity to draft a QB with that pick if the goal is to upgrade Lewan.

You think JRob is an average GM now, imagine if he were to do this.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  10. Young54

Young54 Starter

How much do you think it would realistically take for Carolina to part ways with Cam Newton? He may be washed up. However IF (and it's a big fat if), he can really get back to being fully healthy, he is serviceable enough and can make plays on his own to put this team, at least somewhat, on track this year. I think that is the only way we save this season, otherwise we end up sucking but still winning enough games to not draft a difference maker. Then for 2020 we decide between and keep either him or Tannehill to start, while whomever is the waiting rookie (Burrows?) waits their turn.

I honestly think this would automatically be the best offense Cam has been a part of, at least since Steve Smith forever ago. Think about it. Who was he been throwing to? Greg Olsen was legit but has been hurt. Aside from Olsen and just recently McCaffrey, the Panthers never really had legit weapons on the outside or a running game to depend on. David Funchess, Kelvin Benjamin, and Jonathan Stewart? Come on. Even with our struggles, this might also be the best offensive line he's played with.

I'm not saying I'd pull the trigger, but I'd be curious to know if he can get back to 100% and what offers the Panthers would entertain.

• WTF?! WTF?! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar