What about our boy Hope: 56 tackles, 3 int's, 7 pd (leads team), and 1 Fumble Rec.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by eberry, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

ryan clark

2. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Ok, the ex-Redskin.

3. BigRob

BigRob Guest

Just pointing out facts

You left out the most crucial reason they are a little bit behind on Defensive ranking than last year. Take a look at Time of Possession, the offense if turning over the ball to the tune of 2nd or 1st in the NFL turnover margin. Any defense left on the field too long will get tired.

Hope is doing better because he is playing in his natural position. He was a SS/FS tweener when the Steelers took him in the draft. They played him at FS after two years of riding pine because, be honest, would you rather have Hope or Polamalu at SS?

Hope is a fine player, but he just wasn't that valueable in the Steeler System. FS in the Steeler system plays Deep in Cover-3 alot (Basically covering Polamalu's rear so he can roam free.) Secondly, take a look at Ryan Clarks stats. He is the new starting free safety picked up in FA from Washington at a 1/10 of the cost of Hope.

Ryan Clark- FS Through 7 games

Year G Tk Ast Sck Stf FF FR PD Int Yds TD
    2006 7 30 11 0 0.5 0 0 3 1 -1 0

Chris Hope- 2005 Season (16 Games)

Year Team Tk Ast Sck Stf FF FR PD Int Yds TD
    2005 PIT 70 27 0 1.5 1 1 5 3 60 0

Clark already has 3 passes defensed in 7 games versus 5 for Hope all of last year. Clark will end up with the similar stats to Hope when Hope was a Steeler. Now don't get me wrong, Hope was a great pick-up for a talent devoid team, especially at safety. The smartest thing Fisher/Schwartz did was to put Hope at SS and move Lamont out of that role.

There is a Reason that the Steelers never have a Cap crisis like the Titans, they know when to and when not to pay players push money into future years. That cap strategy of Reese's really payed off. I almost forgot how many Super Bowl wins the Titans had between 99 and 2005.

And interceptions usually don't happen because teams move the ball better against you by air. Actually it means that teams are having less success. Teams aren't passing the ball more on the Steelers, the Steelers have always forced teams to pass against them with a tough run d. The single reason the Steelers D is statistically ranked lower than last year is the turnover margin and TOP by the Offense.

By the way, I meant that you probably do not watch alot of Steeler football.

4. BigRob

BigRob Guest

See Above

See above, he is doing very comparable.

5. BigRob

BigRob Guest

The Steelers were in position to Draft Big Ben for a reason, remember? The Steelers were 6-10 the previous year from 2004. In 2004 the Steelers started 6 new players on offense and defense. Ever look at the first half stats of Steelers games? Ben throws the majority of his passes in the first half. The run/pass ratio in the first half of Steeler games in 2004/2005 is 50/50 run to pass.

Another quick question. Which active quarterbacks have more 4th quarter comebacks than Ben Roethlisberger? Try 3: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Carson Palmer. That puts him ahead of 28 other quarterbacks.

Did you not watch the playoffs? I know the Titans weren't in the play-offs, but they still happened. The Steelers changed their whole philosophy and came out passing, thats why they rattled of 4 straight for a SB win.

He is playing after all of this trauma because he is a competitor, plain and simple. TN is fortunate they finally have a competitor at the QB position this year with some character.

I also guarantee you that Ben has a great game against the Broncos this Sunday.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Last year and draft selection has nothing to do with why Big Ben is playing now, if he is still suffering from those off-season and season injuries he shouldn't be playing.

it is as simple as that.

7. BigRob

BigRob Guest

I happen to agree. I believe his cognitive abilities are not where they used were previously to all of the body and brain trauma he has suffered over the last six months. I was all for placing him on PUP for the first Six games. I feel he rushed back to play to soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar