What a bargain McNair was.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I realize that this subject is way behind schedule, but I still can’t get over the fact that we let the Baltimore Titans snatch our leading pro-bowl MVP QB for a measly fourth-round draft pick. I'm still annoyed and need to get it off my chest.

Don’t get me wrong… I agree with the decision to trade McNair as he was becoming too much of a liability to keep, and keeping him for another season or two would have been too costly and would have put us at a disadvantage in regards to signing our draft picks and reaching our long term goals; however, what we got in return for McNair was insulting.

McNair was indeed the missing element from the Ratbird’s team and both teams knew that prior to completing this trade, yet we let the pigeons snatch another one of our vets for the price tag of a stale bag of pretzels.

My point is, since we wanted to get him off our team and knew he was of a great deal of significance to the purple peacocks, could we not have tried to get a better deal out of him?

I do recall Tennessee trying to get the bats to give us a third round pick instead of the fourth, but their attitude was like “in reality we’re doing you a favor by taking McNair off your hands when we both know that keeping him would be a disaster to your rebuilding plans. We know what we're offering is peanuts but that’s our best offer. We also know you'll accept it”

What was the likelihood of us trying to pinch Terrell Suggs in return for McBird and a 2007 draft pick? Suggs is one of the fastest DEs in the league. He has shown the ability to find his way to the QB on several occasions, and has tons of pass rushes during his short career. DE is a position we desperately need to address in our defense. Heck, throw in an additional draft pick for 2008 to further twist their arm if necessary.

Did we explore options other than the Pigeons?
    What if we would have offered McBird along with a high draft pick for any of the following players:

Ronde Barber from the Buccs would have been an ideal addition to our secondary. Andre Woolf*** continues to struggle, and Reynaldo hasn’t shown any spark of supremacy so far. Barber would be an excellent choice to help out Pacman, and the Buccs are in desperate need for a QB. Although RB would be considered a dinosaur to most, he still does have at least another 2 seasons in him which would give us more than enough time to rebuild and find a keeper.

Anquan Boldin from the Cardinals has been a more consistent WR than any of our WRs including Bennett. I understand that Arizona already has their future QB in Matt Leinart, but wouldn’t it be nice for them to also have McNair by his side to mentor him until Leinart flourishes into the brilliant QB they expect him to become.

My hopes might be a little high with the examples i provided, but either way you look at it we could have done better.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

A 4th round pick was the best we could get for Mac and the Titans would have had to simply cut him with no compensation if they didn't get that. Of course we could have kept Mac at his asking price and not been able to sign any FAs (Hope, Thornton, Mawae, Givens and KVB) because making a commitment to Mac early would have caused the Titans to forget using any CAP space on new players. How would we look with Mac on this team and none or few of those guys? Also, thinking we could get a quality player like Suggs, Barber or Bouldin is beyond pie in the sky.

I'm sure if the Raiders had any clue how bad their QB situation was going to be this year they would have easily given a 3rd or better for Mac but either way the Titans bargaining power was not good when the deal was eventually made. Mac would not come down on his salary demands and the Titans would have been idiotic to sign him to a long term situation.

3. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

It's all about supply and demand. Not many people wanted McNair.

It's also all about leverage. Everyone knew we had to dump him to function this year.

4. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

The trades work a little bit different than say.... Madden Football '07. Everyone knew that we were going to have to get rid of McNair due to his salary, or else McNair was going to have to change his cap number. No way Baltimore gives up a Terrell Suggs, or anyone else gives up a premier player (as nice as that would have been)

Obviously, Mcnair felt that he should not have to lower his salary. Tennessee was not going to give him a multi year deal, especially one that paid anywhere close to what Baltimore is paying. I love McNair, but no matter how you look at it, he is not going to be worth what he is making 3 years from now. As young a team as we have, why pay out the butt for a player who you won't need in a year? Baltimore essentially is paying McNair a good deal of money to "put them over the top". Baltimore basically is saying that they have to win the superbowl either this year or next.

There are very few other teams that "only" needed a QB. Tampa thought they were set with Simms, the raiders need a lot more than just a QB. Arizona obviously felt good with Warner as their mentor, and I can't say I blame them, McNair obviously still wants to be The Man. Warner I think at least is OK with showing Leinart the ropes (also how to turn over the ball 4-5 times per game).

I agree that if we happened to just want to trade McNair, his value is a lot higher than a 4th, however under the circumstances I see why we only got a 4th rounder.

5. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Well, if we hadn't traded him, we would have had to release him. The Ravens were the highest bidder, and frankly, they paid fair market value for him when you consider what the going rate in other trades were.

(Exception: the Dolphins overpaid for Culpepper.)

Earlier, the Ravens offered only a fifth-rounder, so Reese may have felt fortunate that he got a fourth-rounder.

This isn't like baseball, where you trade players for each other, you trade them for draft picks. Why the Ratbirds would have thrown in a good player is beyond me.

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

After watching last night a 4th rounder is a steal.

7. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

You can't demand anything more than a mid-round pick for someone the whole world knows you're gonna have to release anyway--Baltimore wouldn't have wanted to wait, but they would have.

The only thing about having the pick is that everybody starts to get it in their head that that's what you gave McNair up for, instead of seeing it for what it was: a consolation prize for having to release him (a de facto supplemental draft pick)

8. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

It sucks the Ratbirds had to be decent this season. That 4th rounder would have looked nice if it were middle of the pack or less. Either way we can us it to bolster our current draft situation.

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

It will be ironic if that 4th rounder turns out to be a difference maker for us.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Average per game start this season:

McNair (12 games) - 19 for 31, 191 yards, 60% , 1 TD, .75 INT, 83.0 RT, 8 yards rushing, .08 TDs

Young (8 games) - 14 for 29, 165 yards, 49% , 1 TD, 1 INT, 63.9 RT, 37 yards rushing, .5 TDs.

I would have like to have had McNair this season to bring along Young slower but, based on McNair's stats so far, I don't know if the Titans would have won more than one game with him over Young. If Young continues to develop, it'll be well worth a win or two now for having him ready sooner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar