We need a DT 1st round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Brew City, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Are QB and RB the only two positions you'd stay away from? There's a bunch of quality Tackles, one of them will surely be there at 20, would you do that if he was BPA?

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I don't know how I feel about taking the BPA strategy.

I mean, what is the point of a first round pick if it does not help immediately or is a franchise QB? So you are saying we should take a MLB if they are BPA even thought we are very high on McCarthy?

Or the Saints take another RB if they found themselves in that position?

Only take the BPA if you have no glaring needs or the drop off is substantial. I cannot help but feel that people who think we should take BPA or bust are just repeating things they hear from ESPN or other message boards.

3. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I think they mean, as the Titans GM said on the zone last weak "BPA factoring in common sense." Obviously, if you just don't need a position, you don't take one. That pretty much only rules out the following for the Titans...

QB
    RB
    OT

Anything else, we could use. If one of any other position is clearly the BPA, you take him. If the prospects are close, you then let need break the tie.

4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

When I say draft BPA regardless I mean that we should take the best overall player on the board when our pick is up. Players in particular that I would love for us to take if still on the board even though we already have starters in those spots would be Luke Kuechly, David DeCastro, Michael Floyd, Dre Kirkpatrick, Donta Hightower. I know we need a DT but if Cox is gone I think we can get just as much value at DT from the 2nd or 3rd round than all the 1st round DTs after Cox.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I honestly don't think we are going to take a DE either. Branch and Curry will be mainly viewed as weak side guys and we have Wimbley playing there but you can't have enough of these guys and Wimbley is 30 and Morgan unproven.

The impact players are in that group.

6. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

The title of this thread is exactly what I hope the FO isn't thinking.

With a first round pick, you want...

1. A guy with a high floor. He isn't going to bust, and at a minumum, will be a solid starter.

2. A guy with upside. He might be a HOF caliber guy.

I just don't see a DT that fits that bill at 20. Brockers? He passes the ceiling test, but not the floor test.

Guys like DeCastro, Barron, Kirkpatrick, and my favorite, Hightower are guys that pass both. We need to take one of those guys.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Basically you take the most blue chip guy you can get your hands on and that is basically what Webster has said. Now obviously you have to apply some common sense. Is there really a LT in this draft that we would have sitting there at #20 who is really better than Roos? No. So that does make a difference. But we have so many needs there are far more positions we want to take than positions we have covered.
    We need on defense CB, DT, DE, S, OLB (if they thought a guy like Hightower was the BPA they could certainly project him at OLB or consider moving McCarthy to OLB, either way if Hightower is the BPA that obviously means they think he can be a 3 down LB), so there aren't any defensive players we would not consider if they were "blue chip".
    On offense a WR, OG or C are potential needs. We don't even have to worry about RB or QB because there won't be any "blue chip" guys there at thsoe positions anyway. They could take a guy like Rieff or Glenn and use them at OG to start so we could even consider an OT if we think they can play OG.
    So basically we can go BPA and should. We shouldn't reach for anyone.

Now as for DTs as much as it looks like we could get a real good one in round 1 that might be the one position above all others we shouldn't take in round 1. It might be the deepest position in the draft and deeper than last year. Remember, our two best DTs on the team right now were DTs drafted in the 3rd and 5th rounds.

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I agree - but Wimbley is 28.

This years DE draft class is overrated.. Perry & Mercilus should be 2nd rounders; but will likely go in the 1st.

9. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I don't think we need a DT in the 1st round but I do believe we need one in the first 3 rounds. It's a deep, deep class, let's not get ahead of ourselves :)

10. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

I want Brockers in the 1st, Zach Brown in the 2nd, and Casey Hayward in the 3rd. Then best C in the 4th. That would be my dream draft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar