We Build Great Players, not pay for Them.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I think people need to stop worrying over our WR's. I think we will be able to form a few of them into big named players. Gage is going to be a #1 WR soon enough. We have a history of making great players from scratch.

Look at Hanesworth, Kyle, McNair, Pacman, Wycheck , Kearse, Bennett and others over the years. Odom and Laboy was coming into their own, lets how how they do not being a Titan, what happened to Mason, Jmac ,McNair , George , Bennett and Jevon when they left TN?

We just have to give our guys a few years, Gage is going to be great this year, Jmac should be an instant help, Hawkins will need a few years but i think he will be a great little WR. Paul Williams should come around soon.

Let brace our guys now, cause they will earn their names in TN it's just a matter of when.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Amen. That's the best way to grow a team. Grow your key players from the draft (Young, Haynesworth, Griffin, Finny) or bargin bin FAs (KVB, Gage, Crumpler) and sign supplemental FAs for good deals (Thornton, Mawae, Harper).

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. i like when i feel i get my moneys worth

4. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

Juqua Parker (formerlly Thomas), Tony Brown, Bobby Wade, and even Derrick Mason have had just as good if not better years outside of Tennessee. Juqua Parker took over for the Freak, could have been system. Tony Brown had a career year in Cleveland last year, Bobby Wade put up better stats with the Vikings then he did with us. Derrick Mason has been consistant, one semi-bad year (about what our WR stats look like) but two other 1000+ receiving years in Baltimore out of 3, not bad.

There's plenty of examples of players who play better on a different team, it comes down to some are scheme or situational players. Some suck other places and do well here and visa versa.

5. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

What's your point? That we sometimes let good players leave due to cap trouble or something else?

6. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

Ummmm no... Only one player mentioned (Mason) left due to our salary cap problems. Wade, Smith and Parker left for other reasons. My point is that not all players will play at the same level on different teams, they don't fit the scheme and such. That does not mean we're some great developmental team, WR's under Fisher fail a lot more than succeed with the Titans, or without the Titans. We seem to draft absolute turds at that position while other teams can get them anywhere in the draft.

BTW, Tony Brown was a mistake I ment Robaire Smith, Tony still with us :brow:

7. TNTitansfan1

TNTitansfan1 Camp Fodder

We as people live in a society that is about the here and now. We have been spoiled if you think about it. I mean our team made the Super Bowl, their first full year in Nashville. Fisher and company have built up players consistently and have made them work wonderful. Obviously they have done things right for an undrafted rookie (Drew Bennett) to get a $30mil dollar contract. Every team in the NFL (Besides the Patriots for some reason) have a 3 year window of trying to win the Super Bowl. If you think, it was 7 or 8 years ago we went to the SB. We went there with no big name players besides Eddie and Steve. We had high motor, in your face type football team. We had swagger. If you look at us now, this year our team resembles that same team except better. I wouldn't worry about the WRs, we got to the SB without any big name ones anyways.

8. Matty

Matty Guest

very true statement in the title

but I wish for once we did 'pay' in this case for Haynesworth, I don't want to see him leave but I know we wont pay up for him?! :(

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

This not pay them crap is ignorant.

We just gave mega deals to Roos and Stewart, two guys we developed.

These guys you are referring to are not in the same class as those two are in terms of long term potential.

10. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

We dont pay for already great players. we tend to get guys that have promise then we work with them. you wont ever see us pay for someone like Moss or Chad Johnson, Hester or LT etc....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar