We are just like the patriots....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by DCtitan49, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I wish we manuevered during the Draft like them it seems every year that they have 2 first round picks and multiple more in the later rounds we just alwayds have 3 7th rounders blah blah blah......but I doubt MR has the Draft down like Pioli. They Draft well have top notch schemes and have elite coaching that will make a great team every time. We don't always draft well, don't have top notch schemes (Schwartz), and don't have elite coaching. So were not like the Pats.

If we don't make the Playoffs I want a major FO turnover and coaching changes made.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

They aren't being overpaid due to the new cap. I wish people would stop saying that. They're getting paid the average amount that their value will bring.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree Gloat. Really, just to show how scewed fans can be the same fan who thinks Bennett is a scrub and was over paid would not have minded signing Curtis who is even more of a scrub and even more over paid (same could be said of Stallworth IMO). It's like the back up QB being more popular when things aren't going real good, everyone wants him in the game but then when he comes in everyone realizes the other guy wasn't all that bad after all. Bennett's twin brother, if he had changed his name could come in and everyone would be talking about his size, speed, hands like he was going to be some kind of God and all our WR problems are now fixed. But Bennett is talked about like he is left over trash.
    As Gloat said, those salaries were not ridiculously out of line and guess what, next year they will go up for comparable players. Thats why the Rams paid what they did for Bennett and thats why the Bronco's paid what they did for Henry. Next year guys with similar ability will get more. If the Titans are thinking they can sign Turner as a free agent next year if C. Henry and LW don't work out they better get ready to write a massive check. Of course fans will think that is OK because Turner's name isn't Travis.

4. No, they are being overpaid because of the new cap, but also because there was little free agent talent available for teams to spend all that space on.

The amount of spending teams did this year on average players simply isn't sustainable over time. Average players were getting 8 figure signing bonuses. You will see, within a year or perhaps 2, those salaries come down. It will still be higher than in the past simply because the cap is bigger, but they simply can't pay everyone on the same payscale that gets guys like Drew Bennett and Kevin Curtis $10M signing bonuses.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Good points but there really isn't anything new. Teams with CAP space will almost always over spend a little to get a player at a position of need. Thus I doubt the bonus and salaries given out will actually drop. Also, normally there are very few true Super Stars that are simply sitting out there in FA except for a few that were let go because they are on the downside of their careers. Real good young players are either signed by their team or franchised. So waiting for an opportunity to get a really good player usually doesn't come around very often at a position of need. Good players are available but upper echelon players normally are not. Thus the good player get a little more than they deserve.

6. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

If we were like the Patriots, wouldn't that make all of us fans complete asses?

Soxcat, can you verify that Pats fans are jerks?

7. Good players usually do get more than they deserve, but not like this. Look at how much solid but unspectacular guards got in this market. The Bills gave Derrick Dockery, a $49 million contract, including $18.5 million in guaranteed money. Leonard Davis got $18.75 million guaranteed from the Cowboys. bonus. Kris Dielman re-signed with San Diego for $39 million with $17 million guaranteed.

For the sake of comparison, LeCharles Bentley was considered an elite interior lineman who could play guard or center and was a UFA in 2006. He got far less than any of these guys (6 years, $36 million, with $12.5 million guaranteed).

8. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

I agree, Starkiller. Those contracts are awful and will make it that much harder to sign guys who are actually good.

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

TV revenues. Look how many games are being shown on TV now. In fact, every NFL game is being covered now, with all the sports packages being offered, thus higher caps for teams. While I am certainly jealous of what these guys make, their bodies pay a price, and their earning period is about 10 years for most. Some by 50 can't walk, or have suffered so many concussions they are addled. Compare that with Roger Clemens who is getting about $1.4 million each time he pitches, and it doesn't seem so out of line for players to be getting so much over a 20 game (or more with playoffs) period.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree but as long as team have CAP room to spend they will spend it. I'm not saying all those deals were worthwhile but it wouldn't surprise me more guys getting deals like that in the future. The bar has been raised. Its not like everyone at go titans gets the left over CAP money to split or that it goes to charity.

Look at this link

The 49ers didn't care if Clements was actually worth the money, they wanted the best guy they could get while the opportunity presented itself.

here is another article that verifies salaries will continue to go up.

Link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar