Watched Pats/Panthers game last night

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12th Titan

12th Titan Starter

Not sure, probably last week in KC. I can't remember any colder.

2. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

A lot of things can be the demise not just settling for 3’s ..

-Decker dropping wide open catches
    -Mariota over throws
    -A bad muffed punt by Jackson
    -Blitz not getting to Brady in time

Can’t make any of these mistakes vs the Pats or they will pounce all over you and that’s all she wrote.

You can get away with mistakes vs a Andy Reid Lead playoff team but even make half of those blunders vs Belichek and Brady and it’ll be a long night.

Still think the Titans keep this one close somehow. If we are within reach come 4th Q I’d take that any day of the week vs the Patriots on the road in the post season as 14 point dogs.

Only Maurice Jones Drew is picking the Titans to win. So gotta prove a lot of doubters wrong and keep this one close.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

MM gave you good information. Although their location might seem to dictate otherwise, the current Titans team plays well in the cold.

Hopefully I haven't just put my foot in my mouth. ;)

4. Kevin pf13

Kevin pf13 Special Teams Standout

I appreciate the good info from you guys, Nice that you can counter troll to boot (speaking about the rude Pats Fan). :)

5. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Hey, right back at you. I appreciate you taking the time to visit and fill us in on the local conditions. For the most part, we try to get along and have a good time here. If other fans visit here they mostly receive what they give.

A little good-natured rivalry is to be expected before a game, no harm done. If you get an opportunity to visit Nashville for a game I'm pretty sure you would find it worth the trip. It's one of the better venues where you can have a good time with the opposing team's fans.

6. neuronet

neuronet Starter

For those coming up to New England, enjoy your stay, please wear layers to stay warm, and don't look Belichick in the eye, you will turn to stone. :anon:

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. neuronet

neuronet Starter

I am not familiar with the Titans, but the Pats, so can just say a few things I think will be key:
    1. Don't let the Patriots get in front early: shorten their game. I know this is obvious, but once you get behind, your offense becomes more predictable, and Belichick/Matt Patricia gain the advantage. The Titans have a stout defense, so starting with a couple of three and outs from the Pats would be a real confidence booster. Keep Brady off the field, shorten the Patriots' game as much as possible.

2. As I've said before, it's all about taking away Brady's pocket. That's where he excels and kills defenses. If you ever seen him in person, just watch his pocket presence, and how he moves, and directs the defense and offense from the pocket, with tiny little movements and fakes. It is really pretty amazing how subtle it is.

However, if you collapse the pocket, he gets rattled and starts to see ghosts and make mistakes. Because that's his home. The problem is, we have Gronk, Cooks, Amendola, Burkhead, Lewis. Brady will be ultra-focused and prepared, and has seen just about everything. Lewis is like a damned cat he pulls yards out of his butt. Brady is an excellent player in inclement weather: they pretty much never practice indoors.

You cannot play zone against Brady, you will need to play man, hit the receivers at the line to get them rattled, and collapse the pocket to take time and confidence away from Brady. That is the recipe. We all know it. The problem is implementing it an entire game is very hard. Having home field will be helpful for offensive communication.

Upshot: unless the weather is ridiculously bad, the Patriots will be putting up 25+ points. The question is, can you match that?

3. To do that, I think you will need to win it with Mariota's arm. As others pointed out, Belichick is great at taking away your best weapon, and making you beat us with your second-best weapon. Your first-best weapon is Mariota's legs, IMO (frankly I'm not sure this is true I have only seen your team play a full game once). But your second-best weapon is probably your RBs. This is where it will get interesting. Patriots' defense is likely going to be pretty healthy tomorrow night, with Branch coming back on defensive tackle. He is a decent pass rusher, and a very good run stopper. While I see you getting moderate running yardage, I can't see us giving up much more than 100 yards rushing total. Hence, my guess is if you guys are going to have a chance, you will have to win it with Mariota's arm and your WRs (or RBs acting as receivers). I just don't see another way. Belichick will funnel all the resources into making that happen.

4. So then it is a question about your WRs against our defensive backs. Our secondary is decent, not amazing: Gilmore is the best probably but tends to screw up routes. Butler is good but tends to get burned on deep routes. McCourty is an excellent safety who will give them help over top, so I don't expect a lot of big swing plays from your offense (with Belichick it is all about bend but don't break: he will glady give up yards, but gets stingy has hell with points).

8. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

[​IMG]

I wouldnt put it past Brady though.

9. neuronet

neuronet Starter

I'm not saying their defense is top five, but I wouldn't take those DVOA and other stats too seriously: look at points allowed, in particular in more recent games. The Patriots D sucked at the beginning of the year, especially their first four games. Since then, the came together and have the best scoring defense in the league.

10. Kevin pf13

Kevin pf13 Special Teams Standout

Counting on a silly stat from FS1 is whistling past the graveyard. The Patriots did have injuries and a lot of turnover in their front 7 on D, the result was a disaster the first 4 games when they allowed >30ppg.

But as happens with Belichick teams, he coached 'em up. from week 5 on, the patriots have allowed THE FEWEST POINTS IN THE NFL 14 ppg. The Patriots started the season LAST in points allowed after 4 games, they finished the season 5th in points allowed. They finished the season with the highest point differential in the NFL. How often does the team with the highest point differential make the SB?

The Patriots have been the one seed in five of their seven Super Bowl appearances under Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Even more, the top seed in the AFC has gone to the Super Bowl in each of the last four season (the Patriots in 2014 and 2016 and the Broncos in 2013 and 2015).

Neuronet's analysis is very good btw.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar