Was Fisher's comments on Volek right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 20, 2006.

?
  1. Yes. It was a good move.

37 vote(s)
    78.7%
  2. No. It was the wrong move.

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Of course you're free to speak your mind...but he did therefore take a shot at Chow and his teammates...which was my point.

There is a huge difference between a starting QB jumping ship and a RB or a MLB....especially when we have good enough backups at RB and MLB to replace the starter. However, a brand new QB doesn't have the time to simply learn the system in a short period of time and play fluidly in 10 days IMO. A RB can be relatively thrown into the mix with the biggest worry being pass protection...but you can simply the scheme for him. You can't really do that for the QB. Again, the MLB in the Titans scheme only plays half the snaps and wouldn't play in nickel or dime situations. The QB plays all the offensive snaps except when punting. So yes, there is a drastic difference in impact.

But Fisher's comment was that Volek has asked for a trade several times. Brown nor Sirmon have done that. And frankly, Sirmon lost his starting OLB job when we signed an acknowledged better player and he'd have to switch positions to stay with the team. I think it WOULD be best for Sirmon to be traded since I don't think he'll be on the roster past this year anyway, so I'm comfortable getting Tulloch in there to light people up.

As for Brown, I think his agent was trying to force us to give him a contract extension...either give us an extension or trade him. This is nothing new. I don't think it had so much to do with a competition since his main competition has already been here. It'd be different if Henry was a 1200 yard rusher last year and we brought him in to compete with Brown and then he demanded a trade. So clearly his agent was trying to force the Titans to give him an extension...and that didn't work.

If it happens again next year, I think Brown would be shone the door too.

I see it both ways...because if Volek basically said the offensive personel wasn't good enough in Fisher's office, then either he's taking a pot shot at the coaching staff by now saying they have a lot of talent to be sucking...OR...he's trying to cover his tracks and compliment the players as his last remark to the team. Hopefully he meant it as a compliment.

But he's gone either way. Bye bye Billy.

Gut

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

You're still assuming that an unconfirmed report of a discussion with Fisher/Chow where he critizises Chow and/or the players on offence actually happened.

Secondly, your argument that a MLB and RB are more expendable than a QB should only mean they were shown the door faster, as soon as they expressed not wanting to be here. Why go to lengths to accomodate two players you can easily replace and then get rid of one that you can't?

And for the last comment on our team, you're still assuming that Volek at some point said there's a talent/skill problem on offence, but we have no evidence that it ever happened.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

“I still to this day don’t know why things didn’t work out (with Tennessee). But I’m ready to get re-energized and help out my new ball club.”

-Billy Volek

4. Sledge

Sledge Guest

I think Fisher did this to cover himself up and show that no player is bigger than the HC.

We all know Fisher did not wanna trade #9, and when it was done, he probably shut Billy out completely to show the FO who's really running the show.

I'd have to give Fisher kudos for doing that and eventually he won the war big time cuz KC really isn't the answer, not now, not ever...

Vote VY for starting QB in 06!

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Vig...

Unconfirmed reports are everywhere. Short of Fisher actually saying it to the media makes it an unconfirmed report. That doesn't mean it didn't happen...

And since we have no other whisper of an alternative...you can make up your own truth or go with the only unconfirmed report of what happened.

Please explain the "great lengths" gone to keep Chris Brown and Sirmon here?Positionally, a RB and MLB are more expendable...but player-wise they aren't. There is no proof that Collins won't be as good or better than Volek as a replacement. History suggests that Collins could be better than Volek. However, Chris Brown has put up better numbers than any of the RB's on our roster or available in free agency and while Tulloch may surpass Sirmon, he can't right now because he doesn't understand the defense well enough.

Your next point will be that Collins didn't know the offense well enough and I'd agree with that...but Volek is at least partly to blame for demanding a trade (again).

As I've said, I would have forced a QB competition whether Volek wanted one or not and if Volek was the only prepared QB going into Jets and SD games, he would have started. I would have then traded him once Collins looked comfortable in the offense (just as I would trade Sirmon once Tulloch is comfortable on the defense).

We have a lot of non-evidence supporting a lot of the claims we make. We still not only make them, but believe them!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar