VY: Stats vs Perception

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SHSUTitan, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

There is a perception among some on the Board that Vince was a complete failure this season, so I went and looked at the stats-particularly at Vince's response to the mid-season losing streak. It has been my argument that he responds well to diversity and that he had something to do with them winning 4 of the last 5 to make it into the playoffs. It was even argued by more than one "fan" on this board that he might be the worst starting QB in the league.

I would argue that IF Vince could get into the top 10 or so in QB ranking that in addition to his legs (once they get healthy) he will be one of the top QBs in the league.

Over the last 5 games, he was 16th in QB ranking among QBs playing most of their teams snaps ranking almost exactly at the league average over that time (Vince=82.12, League=84.3).

Given that it is his second year, and that his greatest attribute (his speed) was neutralized due to injury, and he was missing most of his (already talend deficient) offense down the stretch, I will take that.

He was also ahead of many bigger name passing QB over that time period: Favre-77.8, Palmer-75.3, Romo-74.4, Eli-70.5, Kitna-69.2, Anderson-68.2.

I would argue that he is moving the right direction, and, while still needing additional development, we are still justified in keeping the faith in an extremelly talented young man.

(Note: Rating determined by averaging individual game ratings over the last 5 games)

2. ezeblazin

ezeblazin Starter

He was clearly better than last season..He didn't have the magic, but he was a better passer.

I think a very telling stat is his 81.8 passer rating against the division, that is compared with a 56 rating last year. That shows he is learning, and improving.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I don't think you want to bring stats to HELP Vince Young. That's like bringing gasoline to put out a fire.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The INTs is what killed his passer rating this season. As conservative as the Titans passing game is, he should easily be around the league average if he can make some better decisions next season.

5. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

Virtually all QBs struggle in their first seasons. I believe I remember an announcer quoting a stat earlier this year that Vince had the highest QB rating on 3rd down and in the 4th Quarter the second half of last season. Once healthy, he will be fine statistically.

For example, the last Hall of Fame scrambling QB I can think of was significanly worse than Vince through two years: Steve Young had a worse QB rating, TD to Int, etc.

Scrambling QBs take a few years to adjust, and I am confident that he will.

Gloat, when he was drafted, did you really believe that he would be as far along as he is now?

6. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

If the NFL were to implement a rule that no QB could run past the line of scrimmage, where would Vince rank among all starting QB's in the league?

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

He'd be about the same place Brady would be if the league implemented a rule that all QBs needed to pass left-handed.

Good post.

8. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

If the Titans aren't going to let him run, I'm curious where others feel he ranks among passing QB's since that is what they are intending to use him for.

9. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

If Vince couldn't run, he would probably end up as a mediocre QB-maybe better as evidenced by the fact he led the country in QB rating in college.

However, his quad will heal, which will help us win games and cause his passing numbers to improve as teams have to send a spy, thus making it easier to pass.

Another question--how good of a RB would Lendale be if he couldn't run between the tackles?

Vince was limited by his quad-you could tell that even when he left the pocket he was lacking his usual speed-I don't think the coaches had much to do with it-although if they did, it was a bad call on their part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar