VY Overrated?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by vslyke, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

It's also pretty funny that we win it's because of our defense and when we lose it's because of vince for some fans. You win and lose as a team. Vince is the leader of a team that went 10-6 so therefore he is a winner. Last year the defense was dead last and he went 8-5 as a starter but still didn't put up good numbers. There were not many games this year where he could have stepped up in the 4th quarter and won the game for us. We lost to indy the first game where if brandon jones makes the catch he led us to victory. We lost to tampa where he got injured early in the 2nd. Jacksonville, denver, and cincy our defense got lit up and vince actually put up his best numbers then. And the san diego regular season game he threw something like 1 or 2 passes in the 4th quarter when they came back from 14 down. I understand this year he didn't have to step up and be that winner, but what losses did you expect him to do that in? You could say the playoff game but I feel he was asked to manage that game and did that with no turnovers until the last possession when the game was over.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

There's no question that Vince had his struggles last year, and generally looked like what you'd expect a 2nd year QB to look like.

However, it's also true that there were 2-3 games where Vince played quite well, only to have teammates let him down....but the statistics don't reflect this. They don't show that his receivers dropped 2-3 TD's in a game (Raiders and Broncos) or the opportunities that were missed because the QB and WR weren't on the same page (Bengals, Jags). The stats just say Vince was bad.

I'll admit, the whole "Vince just wins" thing is a bit overblown. There are 11 guys on the field, and it's a team effort. That said, I do think Vince has that "it" factor....and when he gets in a groove, he's simply unstoppable, and as dominant as any player in the league. As he gains experience and the pieces are added around him, I think we'll see this more and more often.

He obviously isn't there yet....but I believe he will be. And when that happens, the only people saying he's overrated will be Jags fans.

After all, some things never change. :D

3. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

If there has ever been a sport where 1 player does not win or lose a game for a team, it is football. More accurately, the NFL. I have never said "Vince lost us that game." The only you could say he actually "won" was the Texans game from last year. The phantom tackle and Pacman is what won the Giants game.

I am the absolute worst player on my rec basketball team, and we've won 4 championships in a row. I've never felt I was a "winner" because I score 0 points and do nothing to create championships. But, According to this forum, i am a WINNER....yippee!

Oh, and so is Jim Sorgi! And he's got a ring, so I guess that makes him a much better QB than vince, right? And obviously more of a winner.

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

What exactly are you trying to prove? Because all of your points suck and you don't back up what you say. All the posts that I read, which you wrote, made no sense in claiming VY is overrated.:sad2:

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Let's give credit where credit is due, here.

Adam Jones was spectacular in that game. In the 4th quarter alone, he had 2 INT's, a long punt return, and a couple of PD's. Without his efforts, the Titans lose that game.

The Kiwanuka non-tackle was huge. If Kiwi makes that tackle, the Titans lose....but it was only one play.

Vince Young had something like 175 yards of offense and 3 TD's in the 4th quarter alone. The plays he made that day were too numerous to mention. Suffice it to say, the Giants' defense had no answer for the guy....he sucked the life out of them, and spearheaded one of the greatest comebacks in NFL history.

I've been watching football for over 30 years, and Young's performance in that game was among the greatest I've ever seen. You don't have to like him, but any attempt to discount his performance that day suggests a strong bias and a lack of objectivity.

6. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

This is when defenses weren't watching him closely....as soon as people took notice of Vince, he couldn't do anything on the field. His stats prove that

7. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I agree pacman was helpful in winning the giants game but if you think vince didn't win that game you have no idea what you're talking about anyways. That was one of the greatest 4th quarter performances by a qb in nfl history. The reason I say vince is a winner is because if anyone from the titans is asked who the leader of the team is they would say vince. If you are the leader of your rec team (which you're clearly not) and still don't score then i'd call you a winner.

Again any of you guys arguing. Name me a game last year where vince could have stepped up and won the game for us? Vince didn't have a good season last year but I really feel 10-6 was the best possible outcome for this team last year. And our offense as a whole was not built to win in the playoffs last year.

8. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

The leg injury had a lot to do with that. VY's game is built around having the flexibilty to run or throw the ball. When you more or less take the running out of that, he's going to struggle, especially since we don't have very good WRs. He'll be way better this year.

9. ShoTym

ShoTym Rookie of the Year

VY is overrated by some fans possibly, but not by the media. It's been said in this thread. There is a difference between being overrated and overhyped.

Vince might be overhyped, but he's not overrated. You have to be rated higher than you actually are to be overrated. VY is criticized pretty heavily by the sports media. I'm not saying it's unfair, but it makes it impossible for him to be overrated.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Definately the Tampa game last year (the one where VY got hurt). That game was very winnable and with some better QB play in the 4th we would've won it.

I guess it's hard to blame Vince since he got hurt, but I think it's a true answer to your question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar