VY: From the Outside Looking In

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Ubiq, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Per footballsfuture.com, Iron B writes: "First of all....there are 2 types of people when it comes to grading Vince Young ...There are people who hated the idea of him as a QB from the start and continue to wait for his demise (basically when they saw Young..they Saw Vick...lets be truthful)....and there are people who were open minded and figured they give him as much time as an Eli, Carr, or Harrington.

Truth: Titans have no WR....if you already pre judged Vince..then you only focused on him....and you missed something i have not seen in a while...Vince Lays out a 20 yard pass...to Gage...but Davis is running the same route and runs into Gage(last time i saw something like that was pop warner football...the first day..)....your WR's can't even run routes..and they don't even know the routes...not to mention Gage had no speed to get under the pass...and the pass was not over thrown...it was much like the pass over the shoulder to Ben Troupe....Your TE is faster than your receiver...VY calls Eric Moulds "Papa Bear"...thats funny untill you get out on the field and he plays like papa bear...he doesn't even know where the out of bounds line is...thats rookie stuff..and he is like 80 years old...i hate to tell you this Titan fans but...even Roydell Williams is a bum...he is a second Wr on any other team...a third on most...

Myth: Titans have a running game:...No you don't....you are aggressive with the run..but you have no real threat in the running game...your running backs aren't threats to break for even ten yards...did anyone see that last Colts game?...the titans Oline was opening up those huge holes.....i mean BIG...and Lendale white would only get five to nine yards...he does not have the speed to get the first down..even when no one is there...and they fumble at key moments...Chris Henry is not breaking any big runs....

Truth: Titans Need better OLine: this can't be true ....right....wrong...90% of Scouts and draft publications gave Titans draft a D, because they think the titans should have traded down..because the titans needed everything.....Oline, D...WR, RB, Everything...and they did...but Young was such an amazing talent , he made people forget everything...and he made people around him play better..including the Line...because of VY's moving around..they got second chances at missed blocks...

Myth: Young can't throw: He can..and norm needs to let him throw more..and down the field....but first you need a WR that can catch the deep ball....and has the speed to get open...you don't have that..

These are not opinions...it is the truth if you watch in an unbias manner...i am not a titans fan....i am a steeler fan...and i know for a fact that VY is not Kordell Steward...he is Vince Young....Titans QB...and like all Young QB's all he needs is the same time they gave Carr, Harrington (oh poor joey...all he had was kevin jones and Roy williams lol..if Vince had that The titans ..to my dismay...would have a ring)....Big Ben was 15-1 in his first year...he threw one to two INT's every game..but he won...and when he won the SB the next year...he had the worst stats of a winning QB in Super Bowl history....but he won...and when he had a bad year the next ..they said "he's a fluke...!...can't you see that"...and now look at him..one of the best in the Leauge...and yeah..he threw INT's and cost us a playoff win...but he is young..and will get better....we like him because he wins...You wanna know the Difference between Vince and Big Ben......Hines Ward..thats the difference...Parker (a back that can break long runs).....Plax (the first year...)...Holmes.......Heath Miller.....Marvel Smith, Faneca, Starx....Thats the difference...Eli gets a top receiver every year..and he still hasn't learn how to use shockey yet....he's got santana moss's lil borther waiting in the wings....Rivers got gates and chambers...as if LT and Jackson aint enough....i could go on and on...get real folks...before you judge..you have to atleast have a case....."

Granted this guy may not be the Dalai Lama of football, but I don't think any of us on this board are either. He has a non-biased opinion and makes some really interesting/true points.

Try to discuss the points he brings up, not his credibility. A little open-mindedness never hurt anyone.

2. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

It's basically all that has been said on this board last and this year and them some, only this came from a Steelers fan (I was shocked when I read that, I'll be honest). So if a Steelers fan can say/admit to these things, why cant some of the malcontents here say it? :suspect:

3. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

Yeah I read that...I thanked him for posting that actually...nobody on that site outside of Titan fans have a clue about us...Im always defending us

4. CNYTitanFan

CNYTitanFan Guest

Great post Ubiq!

5. Bravo.. Bravo. Thank you very much for your post. That was a very good post. I think some Titan fans needed to hear or see this. I can't believe our titan fans are saying draft another QB. This is so stupid.

Its true look at our wide outs this year look at them I mean all year long. They cost us the Denver game, basically. Our receivers are barely getting open this year. I think at least 7 of VY's int this year were a result of people running wrong routes. How many times did you see Vince Young pointing to our receivers which way to go. Chris Davis ran the same route as Justing Cage and I couldn't tell who VY was throwing too. Because these guys basically ran into each other. Brien Ealy runs into Chris Brown as he is running. Justin Cage during the Bengal game didn't cut in as he caught that 78 yard pass from young and he went out of bounds costing us points. Brandon Jones droped a pass that would have put us at least to kick a field goal against the colts. Roydell Williams ran so many wrong routes this year I can't keep count. Eric Moulds, didn't even score a touchdown this year. Not one of our guys have broken took a 20 yard pass for a touchdown this year. You wonder why we didn't throw it more down the goal, because our receivers couldn't get separation. They couldn't even get open.

It doesn't take a blindman to see that VY needs weapons.

6. You wonder why a guy like Derek Anderson has more touchdowns then Vince Young? PLAYMAKERS.

7. Also at least 5 of VY's int were because recievers tipped the ball, but couldn't hold on.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Some valid points. Others are off.

We have issues at WR but Young has simply blown passes to wide open receivers as well. He is as inconsistent as the WRs on this team. Both must improve of the Titans will remain on the lower tier of offenses in the league. It's about consistency, IMO.

White isn't a RB who is going to blast 45 yard runs for scores. That is not his skill set. But he'll also get you three yards when the OL gets stood up and he's hit at the LOS.

I measure success in the running game based on whether or not it does what it needs to do within the scheme of the offense -- not by whether or not the RB can take it to the house. In this offense, the goal is to string together first downs. Fisher would love for it to take three downs if it means controlling the football. Success for White in this scheme is 3.7 - 4.0 ypc.

Where the run game faltered this season is in the red zone.

As poor as the Titans offense was this season, it was actually improved over last season which tells you how bad things were.

9. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

We bogged down in the red zone because I could have predicted the plays they were calling. 1st down inside the red zone==LW run up the middle for a loss of a few and then we got behind the chains. That happened far too often. We need to mix up the playcalling if we want to score more TDs.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Every flaw in an offense is magnified in the red zone. An interesting (and sad) thing about how bad the Titans red zone offense was this season.

The Titans were in the red zone 55 times this season. That's quite a bit. Here is the list of those teams who were in the red zone the most:

NE - 72
    Ind - 69
    Jax - 58
    Dal - 56
    Cin - 56
    Pitt - 55
    Cle - 55
    NYG - 55
    Wash - 55
    Ten - 55

Tied for fifth. Not bad. Problem with that is the Titans lacked big scoring plays. 20 TD of the Titans 26 total offensive TDs on the season were red zone TDs. So converting only 20 of 55 opportunities says a lot of how big a problem this was.

Just to see how bad 26 total offensive TDs are, here's the top teams:

NE - 67
    Ind - 51
    Dal - 50
    Jax - 46
    GB - 43
    NO - 42
    Cle - 42
    SD - 41
    Arz - 41

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar