VY effect on the run game..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by plato, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plato

plato Camp Fodder

I was just watching "Put up your Dukes" NFL network and he showed how the Jags were so worried about VY running or rolling out that it just killed their run support...

He showed a few plays were both the Safety, DE and LB were frozen everytime VY made a move like he was rolling out...

It turns our run game into a 9 vs 11 instead of 11 vs 11...

Here is a post I found on the Jags board....from a jags fan.

I've been as guilty as anyone else of claiming that Vince Young was overrated...he's an average passer, he's really just a running back...etc., etc., etc. Watching this Sunday's game completely changed my perspective on Vince Young. Vince Young's job is not to just be a quarterback; it's to be a WEAPON. Our linebackers spent all day glancing at Young to see if he was rolling out, or running a QB draw, or just doing something completely unpredictable in general. Half the Titans' running plays were draws and counters based off of Young taking off in one direction and then Chris Brown darting back the way he came from. The entire defensive line pursued Young's direction, and the Titans' line LET them, then sealed off the cutback when Brown took the ball. It was a masterful game plan by Norm Chow, and this is the perfect way to use a guy like Vince Young. Young is a throwback...he can pass if he needs to, but his main job is to be the catalyst. He can roll out and either run or throw. He can start to roll out and then hand the ball to the RB for a cutback run like they did all day on Sunday. He can pretty much have his way in terms of offense if the Titans play like they did on Sunday. I hate Tennessee as a Jaguars fan, and I wasn't impressed by their offseason moves, but I will say this: if their lines on both sides of the ball and their offense play like they did on Sunday, the Titans will be in the AFC playoffs. To all Tennessee fans, you didn't draft the best QUARTERBACK in the 2006 NFL Draft, but you definitely drafted the best offensive weapon. You officially have my respect.

Here is another..

Why did the Titians beat us...

Simple

4 guys on defense against 5 or 6 or 7 on offense, with Mike P spying on young, young would just go oppostie way then the running back and the LB was out of postion. Fault lies in Coaches who could not see this when most the fans at the game could.........

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    I didn't get to watch the game because on an emergency, what does everyone think... I'm going to watch the game tomorrow..

If so I bet teams quickly switch to trying and make VY beat them with his arm in the very near future.... That might not last long if he takes off on a long run or two...

I know Vick has this effect but the big difference between Young running an Vick running is that Vince is tough to bring down one on one and you can't corral him because he attacks when he runs...

When Vick ran you just tried to corral him because he depended on pure speed and if you stay patient he will just run out of bounds..

Vince breaks and runs through tackles... Vick went down very easy if you got a hand on him... That won't work with Vince everytime... Kind like the difference in tackling a kick returner instead of a giant runningback..

2. ico4498

ico4498 Guest

wrong site to sell VY's upside.

3. plato

plato Camp Fodder

I'm not on the board that often but from what I've read today it doesn't sound like many believe VY is having that big of an effect on the run game and our OL and Brown are getting most of the credit.. I could be wrong I didn't read every post or thread...

Just wondering if it was as bad as it sounds for the Jag's... 280 yards is outrageous...

All I heard all off-season is people have flim on VY and they would know how to stop him or limit his effect on the run game and force him to just pass...

It doesn't sound like they are doing very good job yet...

Will the next team keep 8 in the box and play more man to man...

I know if you play man to man you can't keep an eye on Vince and if he breaks containment he can break off big runs..

I guess we will know more as the season goes on..

4. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

great thread :thumb:
    thanks for posting.

I've went ahead and posted the initial quote from your posts on the Colts message board to work them up. I hope thats ok.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Absolutely true! Vick has also had the same effect on teams. It's not just game planning it is mental as players become fixated on him. The jags just assumed all along they could stop our runningbacks and didn't respect our regular running game. They will next time..

6. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Teams realize that they have to be accountable for VY on every play this year. The Jags were determined to not let VY beat them by himself, which is weird b/c they didn't play D on him that way against him last year, good for us. We will see more teams take an outside-in rush, and not stunt up front as much, and throw blitzes our way, and of course use a spy on VY. All this means better running lanes for our run game if they take that approach, b/c that will leave the middle of the field open as we already saw.

Let's hope the Colts use this approach as well, b/c they are smaller than the Jags upfront, we should be able to move them around even easier.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Eventually, this will pay off in the passing game. So far, it just let us run it down the Jags throats. I'll take whatever the colts decide to give us.

I'm really impressed with the gameplan we had. It's the first thing I've really noticed that I credit Norm Chow with. I'm officially on his bandwagon.

8. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Yea, I thought Chow was awful his 1st year here... incredibly predictable. As much as VY gets credit for our run last year, Chow deserves a share of it. Maybe he was forced to really get creative because of a rookie QB under center, but Chow has found a way to punish teams that take VY away, and to punish teams that don't take him away. My fave play Sunday was the misdirection delay handoff to Lendale out of the shotgun - VY steps to his right, looking like he's either going to scramble or throw to his right and then hands it to White running left for a nice gain while 11 Jags look like they're puppets on a string that is tied to Vince.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

MJ, how was chow terrible in 05? We had poor line play, a weak running game that averaged 3.76 yards a rush. Rookie Wrs almost accounted for half our WR catches. We had a crippled calico who isn't even in the league now.

Despite all those handicaps our offense still finished 17th overall and our QBs completed 60.4% of their passes.

If the offense wasn't up to par then blame our o-line coach who still allowed piller to start when he couldn't block anyone or travis henry who was worthless. Everyone bashed brown back then but brown got 800 yards behind that line. Also blame reese who can't draft a WR.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Jags had Mike Peterson shadow Vince and it pulled him away from every misdirection play. But on one of the few Vince runs, Peterson actually turned his back on Young during the rollout and Vince ran for the first. Like McNair, Vince does a great job putting a LB in a void.

I'd personally think the best plan to stop Vince would be what the Titans did a couple of season back on McNabb which was to stay in their lanes and go with a mush rush.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar