VY Discussion - Shotgun vs Dropback

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SupDawg, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

I found a great page on ESPN.com with Vince's stats about almost everything.. I am just for fun, in the process of analyzing his stats to see if anything jumps out at me. Here is the first chart I saw of real importance. I'm now going to look at him in a shotgun.

[​IMG]

2. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Well, one thing is for certain. He has progressed nicely throughout his first three months of being an NFL QB... Almost every category he's improved on.. Very Impressive.

[​IMG]

3. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

This one is interesting... Are the backs split, I-formation, and Lone Setback all from under center?

[​IMG]

4. He has only attempted 17 passes from split backs (vs 128 in shotgun, 167 in line setback, and 37 in the I). I'd say it's probably just a statistical anomaly. It's just that he has 2 TDs and no INTs in those 17 passes...

But I'm also not sure exactly how ESPN defines that formation. I would normally think that it's with 2 RBs, one on either side of him.
    Code:
    <table border=1 cellspacing=0>
    <tr align=right><td align=left>&nbsp;</td><td>	CMP</td><td>ATT</td>
    <td>YDS</td>
    <td>CMP%</td>
    <td>YPA</td>
    <td>LNG</td>
    <td>TD</td>
    <td>INT</td>
    <td>SACK</td>
    <td>RAT</td>
    <td>ATT</td>
    <td>YDS</td>
    <td>AVG</td>
    <td>LNG</td>
    <td>TD</td></tr>
    <tr align=right>
    <td align=left>Shotgun</td><td>72</td>
    <td>128</td>
    <td>823</td>
    <td>56.3</td>
    <td>6.43</td>
    <td>32</td>
    <td>5</td>
    <td>3</td>
    <td>5.0</td>
    <td>79.0</td>
    <td>34</td>
    <td>255</td>
    <td>7.5</td>
    <td>20</td>
    <td>2</td>
    </tr><tr align=right>
    <td align=left>Backs Split</td><td>12</td>
    <td>17</td>
    <td>111</td>
    <td>70.6</td>
    <td>6.53</td>
    <td>32</td>
    <td>2</td>
    <td>0</td>
    <td>0.0</td>
    <td>127.3</td>
    <td>2</td>
    <td>10</td>
    <td>5.0</td>
    <td>7</td>
    <td>0</td>
    </tr><tr align=right>
    <td align=left>I-Formation</td><td>16</td>
    <td>37</td>
    <td>197</td>
    <td>43.2</td>
    <td>5.32</td>
    <td>34</td>
    <td>3</td>
    <td>2</td>
    <td>4.0</td>
    <td>64.8</td>
    <td>9</td>
    <td>12</td>
    <td>1.3</td>
    <td>9</td>
    <td>2</td>
    </tr><tr align=right>
    <td align=left>Lone Setback</td><td>83</td>
    <td>167</td><td>997</td><td>49.7</td><td>5.97</td><td>37</td><td>2</td><td>5</td><td>10.0</td><td>59.9</td><td>39</td><td>277</td><td>7.1</td><td>20</td><td>2</td></tr></table><nobr>

5. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Nice job guys.....good to see some real information.

6. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

Usually a split back formation is QB under center with 2 rbs behind off to either side. A formation with 2 rbs on either side of the QB would still be defined as shotgun... unless it's a fake victory formation or something crazy like that. Then again, that formation would probably be illegal for some off the wall reason.

7. That's what I meant, though I didn't explain it very well. And yes, I'm assuming that a shotgun formation with 2 RBs would still count as a shotgun.

But honestly, I don't remember us ever using what I would consider a split back formation, though I could just have forgotten...

8. yea i havent seen un in split back either i dont think at least

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i think we used it a few times when CB was active, but im going purely by memory.

10. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

i really dont understand why a good running game couldnt develop from the shotgun formation. play fakes dont run as well but thats about it and i'm sure there are ways to make that work better... i know we wouldnt run a lot of option but i think the option give works well.
    the full back can always lineup offset and theres the lead blocker... granted handing off to him is virtually eliminated but how often do we actually use that.
    the FB can always run an out of flat route taking the LB out and a draw up the middle to the strong side could work.
    vince could still turn and hand off behind him holding the d to see if its a play fake
    direct snap could work...
    sprint outs work better from shotgun...

i'm just thinking of the first things that pop in my head here.
    i'm no offensive guru but if i was norm chow and i saw how well he does from there i would be earning my $$ trying to come up with a new offense from shotgun and progress him into being a better player under center.

just because its never been done in the pros doesnt mean it cant be done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar