Volek Willing to Waive No-Trade

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Slackmaster, at first I thought Volek got shafted but after thinking this through I'm beggining to think just the oppositite. The Titans could have and with hind sight should have brought Collins in at the start of camp with the idea of the best man winning the starting job. However, they didn't bring in anyone and basically gave Volek the starting job. It was his to lose for this year. Volek didn't respond the way they had hoped. Certainly the coaches didn't want or expect this to happen. IMO they gave Billy his shot.

With that said I'm not sure the coaches are all that sold on Collins being the starting QB this year. With Volek not proving himself it looks like Young will have a shot at playing alot this year. Would it be better to say to Billy now that he is being demoted to a backup role or to let him move on? Either way Volek is going to be upset, there is going to be friction and Young ends up not being mentored. Collins gives them both a mentor (with significant experience as an NFL QB) and insurance.

Look at this from Chow's and Fisher's point of view. Both are on the hot seat. First of all they want a QB who can run their offense. Believe it or not, agree with it or not, both don't think Volek is the guy. He has been given the opportunity and he failed in their eyes. They are the ones accountable at seasons end. If they feel like Collins can do a better job of playing QB, mentoring Young and helping this team in the long and short term I stand by their decision. Do what is best for the team.

I don't feel sorry for Volek. He will make over a mil per year wherever he ends up (he will be somewhere) and may even get another shot again.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Why do people keep saying this? SD want a 1st rounder or 2nd rounder at the least for Edwards, and Volek isn't worth anything more than a 3rd TOPS, probably more a 4th or 5th. You'd also think his value drops when he gets sacked 1½ week before the openning game...

My beef with signing Collins isn't whether he's better than Volek, I'm sure he is. I just don't see the point, since it's not like a QB like Collins is going to be the difference between 5-11 and 8-8. For that to happen we need a running game and an O-line that plays consistently on every down.

3. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

Maybe if we throw in Chris Brown on that trade they'll toss in LT?? just a thought...:lol:

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Except for completion %, td/int ratio, and passer rating?

I don't know if Collins is better, but I doubt he's much better if he is. I don't mind bringing him in.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Just ask them if they want to swap teams... :ha:

6. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

Kerry has 5% less completion %, that's with thowing 10x as much as Volek has. Not a stat I would say is better, Collins throws down field a lot which leads to picks, but you're right his TD ratio is better.
    Passer rating? Come on Billy's started 10 games in his entire life. He's never really got a shot at succeeding or failing. His ratings are:

2001: 39.6 (0 starts)
    2003: 101 (1 start, sounds like an MVP year :)) )
    2004: 87.1 (8 games started)
    2005: 77.6 (1 start)

I'd not be too quick to say his passer rating is better, it's an illusion.

7. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Hey Slackmaster, Did Kerry Collins kick your dog or sleep with your wife? You seem pretty down on the guy and I am not sure why. He had a solid year last year with a bad team, had solid career numbers (very comparable to McNairs), has been to two confernece championship games, and one SB. Why do you hate this guy so much? Just currious really. I for one am ok with him coming in but I would like to see both him and Volek around.

That gets me to my second point. Why are we all so certain that Volek is gone? Has anyone in the front office said that? All I am hearing is Volek is the starter still and he will starte vs. the Jets in week one. Any evidence that shows Billy is out the door? We have a lack of experience at the QB position and Collins gives us that. Why can't he just be insurance if things go wrong down the stretch?

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'd trade Volek for the first run-stuffing DT offered if Collins looks good tomorrow night.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I don't see how # of times throwing can be used in your arguement. You can say he has more experience....but he hasn't gotten any better with age.

Passer rating is the same deal as above.

Collins has been a below average starter for his career, and Billy may be the same if he plays as long, and his play goes down (which brings his stats down)....but no one can say yet. But you brought up "every" stat being better, which simply isn't true.

I want to see Collins play with our O to judge him against Billy, regardless of these stats.

10. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

My non-professional opinion; Volek is like Bennett, a good backup but not a starter.
    Hey TitanJeff, how about the first OL offered that can protect a QB?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar