Volek to Possibly Seek Trade?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

That's a classic muncher right there.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I also think Volek is getting an unjust bad rep here.
    Sure he was upset that they all of a sudden brought in a new QB and you could tell by his comments to the press. But all of these trade speculations (keyword speculations) are made by the media.
    Supposedly he's waived a no-trade clause, but you have to realise that waiving that is just as much in the Titans interest as his, considering that if Collins win the starting job, we have no plans to keep Volek as a #3 QB.

I have yet to read a single comment where he says he doesn't want to compete with Collins. In fact coming out and saying that the job is his to lose, sounds very much like he plans on competing for the job.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Dude...

I've learned one thing from the media and the NFL...where there's smoke, there usually is FIRE.

I certainly don't know Volek personally nor have any inside knowledge to what he is or is not thinking. With that said though...his comments to the media showed me a lot. I won't quote him, but basically when asked about the possibility of wanting out, he said he'd talk it over with his agent to see what they want to do.

Of course he should talk to his agent, but you don't say that to the media or people like...me and his teammates...will think he's at least considering jumping ship because of a little competition. It's not like they brought in Peyton Manning and Collins has got only a few days to get a grasp of the playbook?

Volek should LEAD by example and say something like...I feel this is my job to lose but at the same time, I welcome the competition. Collins has great experience which can only help me and VY develop. And frankly, he and I can push each other so this team will have the best we've got at the QB position. It's nice to know we'll have an experienced backup QB and won't have to rush VY into the fire.

Instead, he looked like a deer in the headlights trying to say the right things but the...I've got to talk this over with my agent...doesn't inspire confidence.

Sure it's possible the media made up the...he's waived his no-trade clause, but it appears to me that Volek has taken this as a slap in the face and wants out...though he did say he likes it here and wants to stay.

The Titans should NOT cut him...period. Trade him or give him the option of competing for the starting spot and may the best man win. If Volek whines and complains, fine him for conduct detrimental to the team and park him on the bench. You do NOT cut/release assets just because they want out. He is a commodity in the busienss side of football and if he wants out, someone needs to pony up something decent...like a quality OL/DT/draft pick.

Gut

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well luckily I don't mind quoting Volek.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Read between the lines...

"I understand this is a business. It's been a business from day one and I don't worry about the things I can't control,'' Volek said. "They needed some experience at the quarterback position, so it doesn't bother me at all.''

If it doesn't bother him at all...why would he meet up with his agent? Why would you need to even discuss it?

And this comment...

"I guess they want a quarterback who is perfect in every throw and every read, and that is going to be hard to find,'' Volek said. "I guess they've been unhappy with my production. But it is hard when you are only getting a quarter a game and when you get two quarters in one game like I did against Atlanta and throw for (141) yards, they are still disappointed.

"I don't understand it..."

He sounds like a baby implying he's done an excellent job but I guess that's not good enough so they're looking for a great QB to come in here. These are not words of someone not 'bothered' at all by Collins being brought in. These are the words of someone VERY bothered by it.

Furthermore...one only needs to look at the scoreboard to see the offensive production he's managed. Sure he's thrown for some nice yards...but how many TD's have you thrown for? ROOKIE'S have thrown for more TD's than Volek!!! And the fact that he's missing easy reads - which I'm sure he's WELL aware of - should tell him something. It obviously told the Coaching staff and FO people something.

Gut

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Gut, whatever you read between the lines is up to you, but you can't hold Volek responsible for it.

I personally read that of course he's upset they bring in Collins, he feels he's done well enough considered the little time he's had and that he's going to consult his agent to hear what's going on and what he suggests Volek do for the near future (that is after all why you have agents). Doesn't mean he wants a trade, maybe he wants his agent to talk to Reese and find out what exactly the situation is, etc.

Oh and I'm sure rookies have run for more TD's than all our runningbacks combined as well.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I still say trying to make Volek out as some kind of wimp that doesn't want to compete or take on competition is ridiculous. If Collins had been brought in at the start of camp I'm sure Volek wouldn't have been leaning toward a trade but would have accepted the challenge. The late arrival of Collins puts a stamp on what the coaches think about Billy. He is right in wanting to go somewhere else at this point. There is not time to have a fair competition at this point and obviously the Titans have made their decision on him.

8. Toly

Toly Free your mind

What deal are you talking about? Do you have a link?

9. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

Billy should get a trade. He's 30 a doesn't want to be a backup. Vince is obviously both not ready and the man @ qb. So we need a guy that is ready, then Vince, then Just Another Guy. Billy doesn't want to hang around here and be JAG, so why not go someplace else. He definitely isn't a 3rd stringer. If he went to the right system he would still be one of the best backups in the league, and who knows? Maybe he can be a starter for someone else. He at least as good as Kelly Holcomb.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I disagree...

I don't see how bringing Collins in at the last minute is MORE upsetting since the coaching staff has NOT said that Collins is supplanting Volek as the starter. In fact, Collins coming in late works to Volek's advantage in that Collins needs time to learn the playbook. Other than that advantage for Volek, why would it be better for Volek to have Collins come in at the beginning of camp. If they did that Volek would be complaining he never got his fair shot.

Competing is competing. It's better when the other guy has to cram and you don't. Volek's problem is he doesn't want to compete.

And that's too bad for him AND for us!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar