Volek to Possibly Seek Trade?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toly

Toly Free your mind

Volek's play wasn't bad by any standards as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't like he threw 5 INTs and completed less than 40% of his passes. It just seems odd that they decided to bring Collins for some "competition" just one week before the season opener, and now all of a sudden Volek might be traded or released? There has to be something more to this and Titans FO doesn't want to talk about it.

And what's good about Collins' resume? He has been on several teams for a reason.

2. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Also notice that Collins can never get a long contract with any team. All of them are like the contracts we have. Speaks allot for how good teams seem to think he is.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

This whole deal has been set up since April. FO did it this way to ease the idea to the fans.

4. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

Yeah, I have to wonder. I mean, if you can't start for us...

5. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

see if volek could think logically he would go with the team up to green bay. support the team and possibly get some time in on the field to show his skill, however...he has drew as an agent. another player under drews flag throws a hissy fit and gets what he wants...so volek follows suit...i am not going wah wah wah...the only difference and the big difference is the productivity between the 2. you get the picture..t.o big time...volek life time back up...

6. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

Like I said in another post, QBs like Volek can go to the Super Bowl with a good supporting cast around them. Take our running game for instance, the Titans have three good running backs and 2 FBs to choose from right now. I saw A. Hall pancakin' some people last game. However, a lot of times our RBs wouldn't even get that far out of the backfield to take advantage of the nice FB blocks due to our Oline primarily. I hate to see what is happening to Volek and the Titans. Volek was going to try his best for this team this year to help the team win and help himself find a home next year. Now because of the O-line and the defense not doing their job, he is on the hot seat and may be gone pretty soon. I will cheer for Billy when he goes to a team that has a good O-line and lights up a few teams. He's got the potential... The Titans seem to be in "panic mode" right now by hiring a starting QB this late in the preseason. I said back in April and May, "McNair will probably not be here and Volek will be declared as the starter. As long as they don't change that at the end of August, it could work beautifully." Well, here it is late August and the Titans have succeeded in making not one but 2 starting QBs angry at them in the past 7 months. If Collins get's out there on opening day and brings the Titans to a victory, I will be shocked, but I will also be glad. I may not like Collins, but hopefully I only have to put up with him for a season at the most. I will still cheer Billy on, even if he is playing against the Titans. Volek got shafted and deserves to get a real chance.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Come on people...

Did anyone ever consider that the FO didn't bring in Collins earlier so HIS asking price would drop? The closer it got to the start of the season, the less demanding players get with salary when your choice is no salary and watching.

Be that as it may, Volek should not fold at the first site of competition. It's not like Fisher said he's Kerry Collins...our new starting QB. They said they were bringing him in for experience and depth. And frankly, unless you're a Brett Favre in your prime, anyone at your position can take your job. Welcome to the NFL!

If you're Volek, you should be looking at 2 things...

A - With the Titans I already know the offense and the offensive players and have my best chance to play well in practice and in games. If someone can beat me out (as he said...it's his job to lose), so be it. It shouldn't matter if they brought in KC or anyone else. They are trying to make the TEAM better....not hand anyone a position for just showing up.

B - How many other teams around the league have OPEN starting QB jobs? ZERO. That means you're gonna have to go in and learn their offense and gel with their players before you even have a SHOT at earning a starting QB job. That means the job is someone else's to lose...

And frankly, this job is going to the best player anyway. As Fisher has said, Vince might be ready to play earlier than they anticipated. Of course I don't know if that means next year vs 2 years from now or week 6 vs next year...but that is the nature of this business and especially that position.

Personally, I think Fisher is feeling some heat for all the losses and poor showings in the last 2 pre-season games and they are looking to improve, even if they end up bruising a few egoes. Fisher mention after the last pre-season game that Volek missed some easy reads and I think that is why they ultimately went after Collins to give him some competition and give us a solid backup no matter who wins the starting job. Plus, Volek is rather fragile physically and with a porous OL, that sounds like VY or Mauck playing a good chunk of the season. So I think the Collins signing was a no brainer (though I would have done it right after the draft and may the best man win. Apparently, Volek doesn't want to compete...which says a lot about him.

Volek should do the best thing for himself...forget trade talk and forget KC wanting your job. Go out and compete and do the best that you can to win the job or at least showcase your talent. I don't hear Schaub complaining about wanting a trade cause Vick is there, but several teams have already come calling for him. If you want out, PERFORM. Don't hurt your own rep and your trade value...that makes it WORSE for you...not better!!!

Who wants to trade for a guy who's going to complain and wanna jump ship after one bump. Isn't he supposed to be a LEADER?

Gut

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

With the right supporting cast, anyone could play QB...including me. But that's hardly here nor there. Yes a trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl, but Volek doesn't have the resume yet to make a case for handing him a starting job. He has a resume that should give him a look...but then he has to earn it.

And frankly, everyone should have to earn it. I like bringing Collins in for several reasons...DEPTH (a vet QB), EXPERIENCE (a guy who's played QB in some BIG games (including the Super Bowl)), and IMPROVEMENT FOR THE STARTING QB POSITION (a healthy competition for the starting role which should either bring out the best in Volek or a better KC - either way...we are better).

Collins is by no means a 'savior' but Volek is making a huge deal about competition which SHOULDN'T be a big deal. Plus, I would not be very inspired by my QB wanting to jump ship at the first sign of trouble. That shows me he's not willing to do what it takes to get the job done. And THAT is a failure of his leadership.

Listen to Volek speak and then listen to VY. VY knows he has a long way to go, but he sure sounds confident in getting there for himself and the team. It's one of the reasons why McNair was such a good leader. If he had to run through 5 guys to get to the endzone...he might not make it, but he'd risk everything to try.

Gut

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I agree Gut, I said before that I don't think Volek has the attitude needed to be a starting NFL QB. He doesn't have that confident swagger that this is his team and he's the leader.

I saw him interviewed on All-Access, and he was saying how he is only one part of the team, and although he comes across as a nice guy, we know where nice guys finish.

And now with him asking for a trade, it's like he's saying you don't like me, so I'm leaving to find a place where someone will, instead of welcoming anyone to try and unseat him from his spot. He doesn't appear to have confidence in himself, which a QB has to have in order to inspire a team to believe in him and follow him into battle.
    McNair always believed he could win any game, and I've heard other players say how that removed their doubts. By his example. BV example is to cut bait and run.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Yeah, or he could blow a knee and be really screwed. I'd probaby do the same thing. I mean, it is a difference of milions of dollars. I'm not bitter about him wanting to be traded or protecting himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar