Vince Young: victim of his surroundings or himself?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jose7, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Exactly. I think Reese and Fisher wanted to go the same route until Collins looked so pathetic those early games the Bud forced their hand.

Last year, Young needed to work on his accuracy heading into the offseason. This year, it should be making his reads faster and limiting mistakes. I hope he watches a ton of film on how teams defended him this season and comes to camp mentally-improved.

2. TitanJeff

Besides the Saints game, I don't remember Young taking many shots down the middle of the field. It's the weakest part of his game. I don't think it is the throw itself but not reading the defense properly. That is an area he must improve.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Jose, we were 10-6. I don't see him as a victim at all. I don't think we are in a bad offense or that Vince was bad. This year was something to be proud of. For both the Defense and the Offense. The offense was still moving the ball as well as ever. We simpy did not throw TD passes. And I honestly don't think we have to. We won 10 games averaging 20 points a game. That is plenty of points for us. We are a time of possession team. We kick FG's, We always have, and we have had a lot of success doing that. In my opinion the offense had a good year. And sure. They can get better. But they still had a good year with more scoring drives than in the last two seasons. And it shows because we have increased our wins in the last two seasons.

4. I think some people don't know football or just simply downplaying how bad Vince Young tends to be.

We all know his WRs aren't the best.. But that's no excuse for his bad decision making and inaccurate throws.

Yesterday, he threw a couple of balls to the sideline that hit the ground or were very low before reaching the receiver.. Why?

Because of his mechanics.. He doesn't step into his throws.. He usually leans back while throwing the ball. That's why he doesn't go down the field much because he's not accurate when doing so.

Chow has tried to simplify things for him, but they're not working out because Vince Young is limited at the moment.

His strongest asset is his running and he's not doing that, because he's so stuck on proving critics that he can pass from the pocket.

Thus far.. They're right.

and PSJ.. We were 10 - 6 because of Bironas and the Dfensive Line.. Not Vince Young

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Let me add some persepective.

Scoring drives
    61 Titans
    50 League Average

To me, that says it all. Bironas had a good year, but he was productive because the offense moved the ball. He was not kicking 80 yd FG's. Vince was moving the ball all year to get those FG's.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I thought another interesting stat was that we were 28th in total passing plays and 27 in total passing yards. Some correlation there to be sure considering that we were ranked 20th in average yards per pass play.

7. Its not about "moving the ball" Its not hard to get bironas to the 30 - 40 yard lines... Its about punching it in... Why do you think the Titans run in the red zone more than anything?

Because they're not comfortable with Vince's accuracy.. Windows are much smaller in the Red Zone.. Vince Young would throw an interception 6/10 times down there.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Let me add some perspective. When we get into the red zone we didn't seal the deal. We didn't get TDs. That is at least 50% or more on your QB.

You look at our recipe to win games and make an argument that because we won 10 games we should be happy but how many playoff teams did we beat? We beat the Jags in the first game and we beat Indy when they were playing their scrubs in the second half in a meaningless game for them at the end of the season. Other than that the recipe doesn't work unless we are playing the lousy teams.

A perfect example of what we have been dealing with all year was the great VY's pass to Hall when we were in the red zone yesterday. If VY throws a nice pass where he leads Hall with the ball (VY rarely leads a reciever where he can actually run after the catch) and maybe Hall scores. Instead VY throws the ball way behind Hall and almost gets it intercepted. Then on the next play, 3rd down VY throws a pathetic pass again to Hall that probably doesn't get us the TD even if perfectly thrown. Inaccuracy and poor decision making and we end up trying for a FG which was missed. Making those plays is the difference in winning a playoff game or losing. Also, VY has no answer if the defense does anything VY doesn't expect. He doesn't recognize hot routes and he can't obviously check out of a play and get the ball out quickly even when they are showing a 9 man blitz. When VY does have time to survey the field he doesn't throw the ball on time but literally waits for the WR to get fully open. The WR has to sit down to catch the ball instead of catching it in stride.

9. TinyTitan

TinyTitan Guest

"Because of his mechanics.. He doesn't step into his throws.. He usually leans back while throwing the ball. That's why he doesn't go down the field much because he's not accurate when doing so."

Everybody is fully aware that Vince's injury has limited his running ability, but i think many are forgetting that this is the leg which he pushes off of when passing in most situations. That injury has probably affected his passing game as well as his running game. Just my 2 cents...

10. TitanJeff

How do you reach this conclusion?

Though I agree that the QB must make passes into a tighter area which require more precise timing, I see as much importance on the OL than anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar