Vince Young: victim of his surroundings or himself?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jose7, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jose7

jose7 Camp Fodder

It seems every thread digresses to people taking jabs at each based on whether they think Vince is bad or Vince is in a bad offense. I wonder if we good actually flush this discussion out instead of flaming each other based on how much we like him. I can't really make a definitive answer right now so if anyone has some big points or something (video?) to support one side or the other I'd appreciate it.

2. Bobo

Bobo Guest

He's young, we need to give it time. Really can't answer much right now.

Most young QB's struggle. Add to that fact that he has very little offensive help....who should be surprised or very ticked off about the situation? I'm not, and don't see how any reasonable person could be.

I think we should surround him with more talent (which is part of the problem), and obviously give him time.

That may not be an exciting controversial answer, but I think it's the truth.

3. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I think the majority of the scouts didn't believe he would be effective until at least year 3 maybe even year 4. You'll occasionally see flashes of the throws he can make (one to troupe for 20 yards today). Last year I believed we were a couple years away from being a serious contender. We went to the playoffs this year which no one in their right mind would have thought we would do that this year. I think making some good pick ups in the offseason and getting our key guys resigned will really help our team possibly become a contender next year, and hopefully vince will be able to step his game up.

4. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

I don't like the term "victim" because it has a negative connotation. I think he is ahead of schedule, and is still developing. I thought he would sit out his first year, and start his second season and struggle. Instead, he started as a rookie and made the Pro Bowl (granted as an alternate), and guided (whether it was because of him or not) his team to the playoffs in year 2. I am celebrating this season, not moaning about it and pointing fingers.

Honestly, my thought when they drafted them is that he would sit his first year, we would go 3-13 and draft Adrian Peterson and grab a WR after winning 5-6 games this year. We are way ahead of the schedule I had predicted.

5. Chem

Chem Camp Fodder

Considering the top 3 WRs on the payroll (Givens, R. Williams, and Jones) were injured, as well as the top pass catching TE (Scaife), and VY's quad/hip is obviously still injured (limited/no scrambles), and Chow sucks (I blame him, not Fisher, for the offensive play calling), and two OL starters were out (Mawae, Roos, maybe more?)...

I'd have to go with "surroundings."

VY was year 2. Titans made the playoffs, while being in the toughest division in the AFC. How can anyone not be happy with the season?

MANAGEMENT has $40 mil in cap room to spend this offseason. Time to pick up a few good free agents. Pats did it with Moss/Welker/Stallworth -- how horrible was it that the Titans front office was asleep at the wheel during THAT WR bonanza?

6. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

thank you! Give VY time and talent and he will take us where we wanna go.

7. cdspro

cdspro Guest

While I agree that we do need to give Vince Young more time and more weapons (even when completely healthy, there is not a serious gamebreaking playmaker on that offense), and while I certainly do not think that Young is to "blame" for anything, I am in favor of adding another option at QB, via a mid-round draft pick. It is hard to get past the fact that Young certainly did not show any significant improvement from last year to this, and that he is most likely our weakest starter (no small feat for a team that started Roydell Williams and Justin Gage at the wideouts)...

Young is clearly our starter next year, but there is no sense in putting all our eggs in one basket, especially when that basket has not yet shown the ability to hold all those eggs...

And I certainly hope that Norm Chow finds his way back to the college game next year: it will be good for him, good for the Titan franchise, good for whichever college hires him, and good for both college football and the NFL.

8. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I really question the OC game planning. I realize that Chow may have felt limited in his options given the injury to Williams, but when I watch other teams on offense it seems their receivers do more than run to the sideline or just deep.

I don't see crossing patterns, quick slants in the slot or other things that would at least keep a defense guessing. Just way too vanilla.

I am going to give Vince time to have them put a set group of receivers around him and hope it all comes together. If by the end of next season we are still looking at over a 2:1 INT/TD ratio then I think there are serious questions about our QB situation.

9. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

If anyone takes a look, then it's clear its his surrondings. VY has his short6 comings and has to improve on his QB skills as well, but a little help from the OC, and a Playmaking WR or two will help him alot. If you want video, take a look at the 2007 season.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Well said chem..

Nobody talks about brandon jones but when 100% healthy he is a similar caliber player to roydell and gage. We sure could have used him yesterday.

That's 2 of our top 4 Wrs out, our starting TE and 2 o-linemen. And we all know vince isn't as good without the wheels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar