Vince talks about why he went back

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Torch7, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Yes riverman because the way you talk is a great indication of how smart you are. Have you ever heard the president of our country in a press conference, he doesn't sound like an english major by any means.

2. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

This is actually extremelly offensive. If someone were to say this on air, I have no doubt in my mind they would be suspended or fired.

So he doesn't speak like the people you associate with. I'm sure he communicates just fine with the people he lives and works with. Nothing like throwing around crap like this about one of your own.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i can't believe there are people who think going back to school is a bad idea.

4. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

I didn't read that before I posted, but you are right. You can only imagine what he sounded like prior to spending millions on consultants and coaches. Back in his drinking/partying, failing school days his English was probably comprable to Vince's.

Who else can we think of with poor English? Apparently they are stupid too.

5. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

I happen to agree with SHU. Racism is HUGE in our world weather people want to accept it or not. It is everywhere. I don't like it, but I think it is human nature to an extent. You grow up with a certain perception, and then it is difficult to change it. As bad as some of you think VY sounds in interviews, I don't think Peyton sounds any better, but we do not go around calling him an idiot. I think there are some board members who do have a feeling in them that VY will never succeed because of his color, but I do not think Riverman is one of them. The pressure is on VY to preform this year regardless of what color he is. School is a good thing, but his job has to come first, and I think/hope it is. I commend him for getting his degree, but I will commend him even more if he has a much improved season.

PS.....who cares if overalls is offended :)

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Thanks for the post. I think you understand where I am coming from.

7. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I also agree that race is an issue among many fans whether they know it or not. I also don't believe for riverman it's the case. I just think he's a fan who wants to know that our quarterback is putting in enough time in the offseason. But for anyone who says race is not an issue at all is just foolish. There are still many fans out there who don't think an african american quarterback will ever accomplish anything.

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Seems to me the only part of the quote that could be remotely considered offensive part is the reference that grammar is associated with cognitive skill. UdTitan makes an excellent point about Bush and another post(er) about Peyton Manning. Point is, this thread is not about them. I didn't mention every NFL player that uses poor grammar because the NFL is rife with them. But my intent is certainly not to offend any sensitivies and I am happy retract that statement. Furthermore SHSUTitan,you were the one who raised the issue of people being "smart enough" to handle both going to school and working. I never mentioned anything about Vince's intelligence or cognitive ability until you asked "Why is there an assumption that Vince is too stupid to do that [handle returning to school and working during off-season on his game]?" My response was that his schoolwork "competed with time that could be dedicated to improving his football skills".

Furthermore, Vince has always had issues since being at Texas about his cognitive ability. And as offensive as this topic is to some fans, he DID score poorly on the Wonderlic. He DID struggle with proper reads under Chow. He DOES get parking tickets since his return to college. He DID have very low passing TD numbers and very high INT's. He IS faced with a new offensive coordinator that WILL transition terminology, schemes and plays. All of these issues make me concerned that he will need EXTRA time dedicated this off-season to improve.

Believe me, I've defended Vince long before he was even drafted and still will (and do). But on this point, I have to call it like it is. He has some ground to catch up on to meet expectations. Can he do it? I think so, but his performance this past season has me wondering. I just don't think it is productive to be so protective of him as some folks appear to be on the board.

Let me clarify my position in a couple of simple statements in order to avoid any incorrect assumptions that may have or could be made.

1) Race is not a factor with this issue. Vince's performance is. I would be concerned about this regardless of his ethnicity.

2) Returning to school is an admirable pursuit. I don't complain about Griffin returning because this was his rookie year and he was showing considerable progress in his performance through the year. The team's success does not rely as heavily on one safety's performance as much as it does the first string QB. I doubt I would being raising any discussion if I could hear him state he recognizes his past performance AND the challenges he will face next season AND how he plans to overcome those challenges. Apparently not enough other folks are concerned, so there hasn't been any pressure for him to do so. I'm OK with that- but I will raise the issue on threads that discuss this topic. I think the Titans would be better served for Vince to obtain his degree after his pro career is over.

BTW SHSUTitan, you don't have any idea "who I associate with" so you probably would be better served to limit your assumptions or specify them as such in your posts.

9. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Riverman, I think we can all agree vince played some of his best football of the season in the final weeks so he at least showed some progression. His biggest struggles were right after the quad injury, in which you could assume were because he was forced to become a pocket passer which is not what he's known for. But as he adapted to becoming a pocket passer he progressed. Now as I've said many times he needs to improve td/int ratio obviously. But I also think if he can get healthy and have his legs all season he will be much dangerous next season. And just a side note, if you ever went to a big college and never got parking tickets that is very impressive. Parking's a disaster on most big campuses across the nation.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Why did the parking tickets ever get brought up? What point were you trying to make about this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar