Vince talks about why he went back

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Torch7, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

No.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The only thing which comes into play here is the perception that he may not be dedicated to improving himself by going back to college after a 17 INT season.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

You are SO barking up the wrong tree. You should the posts more carefully, particularly mine.

I think we can both agree that:

1) Vince returning to school to get his degree is admirable and benefits Vince directly and children following the NFL by providing a good role model.

2) Vince's 17 INT's were a result of a combination of poor reads and poor throws by him and a FEW drops/tips/wrong execution by his WR/TE's.

3) Vince does not have to spend every waking minute in football.

Where we disagree:

1) Vince needs to spend a greater proportion of his off-season time than he appears to be doing correcting undeniable flaws in his progress as our franchise QB.

2) That returning to college to take 12 hours/semester does not compete with a significant amount of his off-season time that could be dedicated toward improving his QB skills.

3) That Vince "owes" the Titans organization, for picking #3 overall and paying him millions, everything he can possibly do to make certain he provides the organization with best QB possible.

As an NFL QB- yes, I would agree with that TJ. I've also stated a few times in this post, many folks would feel better if he followed with some statements about his itinerary and how he plans to address issues of his high INT's, poor passing TD's and learning the new offense all before the next season.

4. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Now everyone here agrees that he needs to dedicate a good amount of time to football. Then you are asking him to give an itinerary and what he plans to do in the offseason. I'm sure all the coaches know exactly what he's doing every day. In my opinion as long as they know what he's doing every day, he's doing his job. There is no part of his job that he has to call press conferences to tell the fans exactly what he's doing every day. I'm sure the organization knows more about the situation than us and they don't seem to have a problem with it.

5. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

I agree with the previous poster. Vince doesn't owe us personal explanations. He is accountable to his employer, and Fisher and Dinger have both commented that they are in touch with him and that he is working.

How do you know how much time Vince is spending? As for his itenary, he has made clear that he kept Friday-Monday clear for the Titans, and he is working out every morning before class. So assuming he works out two hours per morning on the 3 days he is in class (he said he was working out, but didnt say how long) then that is 36 hours per week minimum of football (assuming 8 hours per day on his 4 "Titan" days).

Again, how do you know? I have stated before that most of the college graduates in this country work and go to school at the same time. Why is there an assumption that Vince is too stupid to do that? I believe he can.

Right, Vince owes the organization, and they seem to be fine with his work. Fisher and Dinger have both commented in a positive manner. He is not accountable to list his schedule with individual fans or to the press. It is his life, and if his employer has a problem with it, they will raise it with him.

Riverman, I agree with your list in terms of agreements/disagreements, but I choose to trust a grown man when he says that he is dedicated to his job until I have a reason not to, and I dismiss the notion that he cannot balance work and school when most people in this country do it. Vince thrives on being the best and will work to prove people wrong next season.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That will come from Fisher if and when it does.

I'm hoping Dinger will have the offense adjustments completed by the first OTAs. At that point, they'll need to work out some long weekends where Vince is in town looking at film and learning the offense.

If that doesn't happen. I then get concerned.

7. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

Jeff, great point. That actually reminds me, if I am not mistaken, that in a previous interview Dinger said that he was focused on evaluations and the draft and wouldn't have the playbook ready until after the draft, which is about a week or two before classes end. So, that negates the argument that Vince should be learning the playbook right now.

8. Overalls

Overalls Starter

I'm not even a Titans fan and I am insulted by this post.

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Maybe not, but there has been a LONG history of NFL athletes (and the debate that goes with it) who are held acountable by the public and the fans. So it is a bit myopic to suggest that Vince is not due to be accountable to the public.

I don't. That is why I said "it appears" and then followed with the suggestion that he should make it clear to fans. Obviously, there are not that many fans concerned about it- so I agree it is ridiculous for him to respond to the issue if only small a percentage of fans are concerned about it.

Ummm- it could be because he struggled for two years under Chow learning to make basic reads and actually regressed in red zone scoring and INT's. His reported "6" or "8" or whatever he may have scored on the Wonderlic suggests his cognitive skills may not be that sharp. Or it may as simple as he has difficulty with subject/verb agreement or butcher's the language in press conferences. I don't know- but it certainly does not inspire confidence that he will graduate as the Valedictorian or Salutatorian and can handle a full time job while obtaining his degree. He also struggles with parking his car legally on campus.

Agreed. Let's hope the offense and he improve in the red zone next year and he reduces his INT's. I doubt Dinger is going to put up with any mental errors.

Again- don't misunderstand me. I sincerely hope he improves and he can balance the work that is required of him to manage both goals.

10. Torch7

Torch7 Camp Fodder

1.) If his cognitive skills are that bad it wouldn't matter if he spent the next two years learning the system, he will still struggle right.

2.) Why would it matter if he graduates, Valedictorian or Salutatorian?

3.) Contrary to popular belief, the NFL during the OFF-Season, is not a full-time job. I have friends who work in the public school system, and during the "OFF-SEASON" they are not obligated to work... Just like pro-athletes are not required to work during the off-season, the amount of money they make does not change that fact.

4.) Parking on campus is a night-mare for everyone, even the Smartest of Students, they are constantly complaining about not having enough parking. Its a University that has a HUGE footprint, downtown of a CITY that is bursting at the seems. We are constantly hearing about the parking on the local news.

5.) I'm willing to bet that my cognitive skills are well above average, and I butchered the English language for most of my life. It wasn't based upon a inability to learn or speak the "Queen's English", it was based upon Cultural dialect. People generally tend to speak like those who they surround themselves with. To this day, I can hang with guys and speak broken English, and no one cares, however when I get to my job, my peers tend to poke fun or point out how I spoke, so I was forced to change only then. (Well I could have continued to speak broken English, however, it would have been counter-productive in meetings with the Execs. :) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar