VIDEO: Kerry Collins last 4 game tying/winning drive attempts

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by earlers, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlers

earlers Camp Fodder

Well, there has been a lot of discussion regarding KC's failed attempts to get the Titans in field goal range for the last 4 titans losses dating back to last season. So, here's the tape so we can all judge for ourselves.

I don't know what it is but he can't move the ball during these stretches. It's nothing really obvious. Maybe, you all will see something that I can't see.

Let me know what you all think.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kf5STIDv0wQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kf5STIDv0wQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. highstep

highstep Camp Fodder

I see little separation from the receivers and poor pass blocking especially against Pittsburgh. He is too old to evade tackles outside the pocket so he has to throw the ball way. The end of the drive last week was solely his fault but was not the reason why we lost that game. Poor play calling, blocking and receiving looked like they played a part in those loses as much as Kerry did.

When it comes to putting Vince in I see the thought process behind putting him in so we are not forced to throw the ball away or take a quick sack but I don't necessarily agree with that. I think Kerry has a much better arm and will not throw that game losing interception as if we were to put Vince in. I am not completely sold on Vince's decison making and accuracy even though he can lead a team down the field like he did his rookie season but we have not seen that in a long time.

In preseason I saw improvement from the decision making aspect of his game but not so much his accuracy. It feels like he is more in sync with his receivers but his throwing motion still scares me. I don't feel like he can be successful since his arm is so inconsistent.

3. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

k. the ravens game, the defense was only rushing 3 and there was so much space that you gotta say if vy was in he could have easily picked up enough for a fg. In Pitts, kc was fine but because he is immobile, he had to waste 2 downs. In the 4th quarter. Those plays could mean a W or L, in Hou. it was just a bad decision for the start. Why run for about 4 yds? we would have had to take a to. Then how could we kick a fg? The defense would adjust. All in all. Collins plays fine all game, but when it matters the most, i simply do not have full faith in his lack to extend plays, which is vital for QB's. I'm not saying put vince in or any of that. Im just saying he isn't reliable enough to put the game on his shulders and go win the game. That lies in Vince more so because of two reasons. Vince can extend plays, and his mobility will force the defense to have a spy. Meaning a bigger throwing lane. With vince in the game, if he is actually improved. it would really improve our entire offense. The play-action would be amazingly effective. Wrs will have less coverage. And defenders will always be cautious of his running, giving cj more opportunities. Now am i saying that's how it will be if we put him in? No, i'm not psychic. But it is also wrong to say he would suck and destroy our team if he was in. Now i may sound like a lover. But i am mainly focused on being fair. Vince has not earned his job back, but in my eyes he has not proven he does not have what it takes to do that job. I am very comfortable with our QBs. IMO. though.

4. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

The Loss vs the Texans last year, I thought it was a bad play on 4th down, you give Bironas the shot to win it for us. The Loss vs the Ravens, I cant put that on him, the D for Balt was amazing, and he didnt have much time to work with. The Pitts loss, I put on the head coaching 100%, we have 2:20 on the clock after the first throw and completion of 11 yards, right there you have to be smart enough to call a run take it to the 2 min warning and work from there, instead, Pitts has the ball before the 2 min warning, the play calling was very screwed up on that one, The loss to the Texans this year, when it comes down to it, he drops the freaking ball scrambling, thats on him, regardless of what has happened in the game up to that point, your down 3 with the ball, some timeouts, and a bit over 2 mins, you cant screw up like that

5. tnyou

tnyou Guest

6. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Collins wasn't even in the ballpark with A LOT of the throws in that video. I actually was going to give him some slack for that Baltimore game, because I thought there wasn't enough time left to work with, but there was nearly 50 seconds and a timeout, and he was throwing 5 yard in routes and not even getting close to the receiver!

It's not so much his accuracy as his decision making for me though. Against Baltimore with like 20 seconds left on 3rd down he threw a 4 yard pass that was way behind scaife that even if he caught would have had no chance to get out of bounds. Against Pittsburgh, you can see Nate Washington has 3 steps on the corner and Collins didn't even look at him.

It's clear hes not the same quarterback late in the 4th, he looks like a lost dog out there..

7. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

Watching those make me sick. We need a game changer. Oh wait we have one but he's on the bench.

8. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

I just don't get the decision making in a lot of those. Before we get the 1st down, we're dumping it off like crazy. Then on 3rd and 4th, we're going deep down the field. I'm really not sure what he was trying to do in most of those.

Pittsburgh was tough but I can't see VY getting chased down by Casey Hampton.

Btw, there are also a few failed comeback drives by VY. The videos posted above are his best. Why not show his most recent like what was done with Kerry?

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

These videos earlers puts together for us are great, but mean nothing unless you know how to translate them into: on the field views. I'll tell you right now; Collins can not and never will be able to pass with a man in his face. Only because he's an educated player. He knows if he throws with a guy hanging on him then he's half way towards being crippled. He'll get hurt or create a turnover. He isn't a McNabb type obviously who can make plays with people in his face, doing the Kobe shot towards a TE. Kerry is no athlete so he's stuck fading back throwing incompletions. He also realizes it may result in more than just the physical injury, but also an emotional one. We hear Collins is tough, because of whats he's gone through. Yea he better be since he brings his problems on himself. Vince's issues come from being soft at times. If VY has no pressure he's great. But we know he isn't carrying the team. I'm willing to give Collins one last shot at winning. Hey, Fisher told us as long as Collins is winning he's our QB. Well now he's losing so whats that mean? I mentioned the formula to success with what we've got and Kerry needs a reduced roll.

10. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Can't argue witn that.

His decision making and accuracy I feel will come around.

Can't agree with you on his throwing motion. Rich Gannon throws sidearm quite a bit. Didn't stop him from being successful.
    He can still be accurate with that throwing motion, as unorthodox as it is.
    If he is indeed more in sync with his WRs than Collins is, that's a huge advantage by itself. I'm starting to feel that Britt was exactly what Vince needed.

All that said, I still feel Collins is the best guy for the job, at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar