Updated: Texans' move at No. 2 QB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>The <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=hou">Houston Texans</a> have made their choice for <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2658">Sage Rosenfels</a>' replacement as backup quarterback, and I don't suspect fans in Houston are doing cartwheels over it.</p> <p>It's former Lions QB <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8559">Dan Orlovsky</a>. I hate to label the guy off one play, but I imagine a lot of people are with me on this one. Say the name and what pops into your head? The ridiculous play where he rolled out along the thick white stripe in the back of the end zone, clueless that the play was dead and he'd given up a safety.</p> <p>I like my quarterbacks, even my backups, to have a fundamental understanding of the field's parameters. When they don't, I certainly don't reward them with three years for $8.5 million, the contract numbers <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3943750" target="_blank">reported by ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton</a>.</p> <p>Say what you will about Rosenfels, whose own boneheaded plays late in a home game against Indianapolis last season turned a win into a loss, but his team scored points when he played as opposed to most teams where the backup in the game often means a touchdown less on the scoreboard.</p> <p>I think trading Rosenfels for a fourth-round pick from Minnesota was a smart move. I think signing Orlovsky was a bad move, but he gets a clean slate and a fair chance. We didn't have a good feeling for Rosenfels when he joined the team either.</p> <p>I'm surprised, frankly, the Texans didn't take a close look at Titans free agent <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4555">Chris Simms</a>, who's connected to offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and would have brought more upside. I haven't heard Simms name since free agency opened.</p> <p>But the central fact here remains the same: The Texans need a 16-game season out of <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5615">Matt Schaub</a>.</p> <p><strong>UPDATED 3:58 p.m.</strong></p> <p>When he met Houston media Sunday afternoon, Orlovsky spoke about the safety fiasco last season in the Lions game at Minnesota:</p> <blockquote><font size="1">I mean, ten seconds after, I realized how idiotic it was and how dumb it was, but I wasn't going to change it. It's one of those things that you wish your name was never attached to, but it was. At that moment, I had the decision to make if either that safety was going to hold me down for the rest of that game and into the season or if I was just going to try to overcome it, and it was one play. I think the good thing for me last year, growth-wise, was to realize just playing every play individually and not trying to be Superman.<br /> </font></blockquote>

More...

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Great choice - Go Texicans!

3. Dan Orlovsky is awful

4. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

as long as he isnt on the titans...he can suck all he wants

5. very true sir. and especially if he is in the conference he is more than welcome to suck

6. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

You would think they would pick a better backup considering he will probably play in 8 games next season.

7. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

Other than judging him off one dumb play in one of his first NFL games at QB. What are you guys exactly going off of? You guys watch him play alot? lol. I do know that from watching film, Dan-O was running for his life almost every play including that one.

I didn't like the signing at first myself.... but I took some time to look into it and I actually am cool with it now. Most Lions fans at various boards liked the guy and claim he was one of the few players worth a darn on the roster last year. They wanted to keep him and thought he had the potential to be a very good back up QB. Dan-O's numbers were better than Kitnas last year who was going to get released (the Lions wanted to sign Orlovsky back btw) and was actually traded to the Cowboys for a starting NFL CB.

When Kubiak found Sage a few years ago... no one really knew anything about him and we all kinda were confused.. but apparently he saw something him in. He eventually got Sage to the point where he had other teams wanting to trade for him. Dan-O is 6'5 230 and and has a solid arm at 25 yrs old. If Kubiak thinks he can mold him into a quality back up... I don't have any reason not to trust him at this point.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

You Texans fans will cheer any crap your sorry front office throws at you.

Go cheer about Orlovsky on your own forum, because everyone here realizes he sucks.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

Oh, and his numbers were better than Sages last year too.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

that's why rosenfels' qb rating is ten points higher.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar