Underwood adamant about offset clause in Mariota's deal

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Old Oiler Fan, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PortlandDuck

PortlandDuck Starter

I'm not a Titans fan, or at least wasn't prior to Mariota. Also, "Mary." Are you 12?

#251 PortlandDuck, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    • High Five High Five x 1
  2. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Exactly. Can you imagine the outrage people would have if we were paying a second overall picks contract that wasn't on the team? Everyone would be calling for a complete overhaul of the entire organization.

3. PortlandDuck

PortlandDuck Starter

Derrrr

Congrats on no spelling, formatting, and grammar errors in that post.

#253 PortlandDuck, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  4. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

I figured he did.

5. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

Seven words must be a challenge for you.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. PortlandDuck

PortlandDuck Starter

If the Titans cut Mariota after three years, there will have already been an overhaul. "Precedence" is what led your inept FO to the #2 pick, and now that they've already sold a ton of season tickets and jerseys, they are playing hardball with that pick. If it wasn't so damaging for a rookie QB to miss camp, I'd be hoping for a prolonged holdout while the Titans again lose games, but this time with the "franchise QB" sitting on a beach in Hawaii while the fans rain down the boos on Amy Strunk and Steve Underwood all because they don't have faith in that the guy who is the face of their franchise will last 4 years as a Titan.

7. PortlandDuck

PortlandDuck Starter

Haha! Yep, face palm there!

8. PortlandDuck

PortlandDuck Starter

He also reps Roethlisberger.

#258 PortlandDuck, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
  9. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Again, its not about believing he won't last 4 years. The point is, if he doesn't why would you pay him to not even be on the team? Either way, one side will cave eventually. But the team has all the leverage since they're the ones with millions of dollars.

10. LangeSohne

LangeSohne Starter

I would side with Mariota's agent on this one. The best argument the Titans can make is that if they give on the offset language it will set a precedent for future 1st round picks. That's not a very good argument. There's all types of precedents. There's a precedent you can set for QB's picked in the top-5 (i.e. give on this issue given the importance of the position and having him in training camp on time, and also since he is your new face of the franchise), and a separate precedent you can set for a non-QB in the top 5 or anyone else outside the top 5. Down the road, you *can* make this distinction to future first round draft picks with a straight face. I don't see this forcing the Titan's hand down the road. If anything, the Titans could say the 3rd pick in the 2015 draft (and with a season-ending injury no less) didn't have offset language and so it was reasonable in 2015 for Mariota to not have it either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar