U of Miami investigation.....Whoa

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Chapparal97, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XO

XO Nevada Native

I agree 100% but they deserve compensation for doing what they do. What they do is line the pockets of these universities and the NCAA with millions of dollars. They make millions of dollars for sponsors, the media and bowl sponsors. They are never fairly compensated and when they try to get a little extra on the side the NCAA drops the hammer on them.
    They are in the business of keeping to poor down and lining their own pockets with money. They get rich on the hard work of people who are not even technically their employees.
    Many of these kids come from less than wonderful backgrounds and what we expect them to do is absolutely unreasonable.

If someone tosses the keys to an Escalade to an 18 year old kid we expect that kid to say no thanks and walk away.

How about when a fan walks up to a kid after a game and offers him $300 bucks to sign his jersey? What insane person would say no?

Regardless a bunch of these kids receive improper benefits from money to cars, assisting the kids family ect. It happens at every major program. The coaches know it. The administration knows it. The NCAA knows it.

I personally saw some stuff at UT that boggled my mind. The "greeting girls" hosts, whatever you want to call them is nothing but a university run prostitution ring. It seems harsh but it is true.
    I knew a few of the girls that told me what they did. Told me what other girls did for recruits that even they wouldn't do.

Sex, alcohol you name it. 17 and 18 year old kids visiting campus were going out to bars, sleeping with these girls, going out to lavish dinners all in the name of recruiting. Eventually UT got caught up for stuff like that but it didn't change. It still goes on in Knoxville and on every other campus.

Not that there is anything wrong with it. I know I would have been all about it!

2. XO

XO Nevada Native

How about allowing them to sign endorsement deals or sale memorabilia?

If the universities are not allowed to compensate them then the student athlete should be able to do it themselves.

What about EA Sports selling the likenesses of the kids in a yearly videogame? Should they not be compensated for this?

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

uuuuh what about it.

take advantage of the oppertunities offered you - legally - or step aside and let someone else get a chance.

A lot of what you are saying goes well beyond ethics and policy and is in fact illegal activity. I do not believe for a second what you say is known to universities. I am not saying it don't happen mind you.

My bottom line. These kids get the break of a lifetime to attend major/minor universities and get a degree/make contacts that will serve them a lifetime. Most are idiots and throw it down the drain. I really do not feel for them in the least. If they are victims they are willing victims. I see them as idiots who squander their big break.

4. XO

XO Nevada Native

My issue isn't with the athletes. I agree that they should take advantage of the opportunity.

I do not agree with these universities and NCAA profiting off the backs off these students when they are not properly or equally reimbursed for what they they do.

Then the students are punished for doing what any proud American capitalist would do. Make money.

What they are doing is not illegal.
    In fact they are likely to get in more trouble for committing a NCAA violation rather than actually breaking a real law.

5. XO

XO Nevada Native

My biggest issue is the NCAA tries to hide behind a mask of amateurism when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

C'mon, man, that wasn't Terrelle Pryor in NCAA 11, it was QB #2! Never mind that the height, weight, and physical attributes were essentially the same...

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

if the athletes are drinking underage, recieving services from prostitutes and accepting $$$s unofficially then they in fact are breaking local, state and federal laws.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Too bad that describes at least half of the student body at any big university.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

lol

well they are risking their scholarships arent they?

10. XO

XO Nevada Native

Exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar