Tunsil needs to be our first pick . . .

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by adamwinn51, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

I see all this talk that we need a CB with our first pick, and this just seems to be a reaction to what people have seen on the field recently. You all remember when Marcus was getting killed? When that was happening all the talk was we need to go OL, and now that Marcus has been better protected, and the DBs are getting burned, CB is now the en vogue pick. But I would argue that OL still needs to be the priority here. We are only protecting Marcus better because we are devoting more players and our scheme to this goal. That is a good plan for now, but it is not ideal. We need to be able to protect Marcus with our front five alone, and we can't do that with the talent we have now. Does our secondary suck? Sure it does and we need help. But if you are choosing the more important unit on a team, OL or DBs, the OL is always more important when it comes to long term success. The OL needs to be our priority with the first pick, and we have a stud tackle that is projected to go top 3 in this draft--Tunsil. With Lewan and Tunsil manning the bookends of the line, we would be in great shape as an offense. If Tunsil is there, we need to take him . . . if we take a DB over Tunsil it would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Sign a FA OT. Problem solved.

Bobby Massie
    Cordy Glenn
    Andre Smith
    Donald Penn
    Russell Okung

I doubt Okung makes it to FA. At worst he'll get franchise tagged.

Sign an OG while we're at it.

Kelechi Osemele
    Richie Incognito
    Jah Reid
    Alex Boone

Here's to hoping we finish behind the Chargers so they can take Tunsil before we do!

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  3. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Yeah, we could try that route . . . but I don't like our results with FR OL so far. And Tunsil is a much better long term fix. Also, there is a reason these guys are FAs. They might be serviceable, but Tunsil has a great shot at being elite. An elite OT usually makes far more of a difference on a team than an elite CB.

So here is hoping that we pick before San Diego!!

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Bolts will take an OT anyway. Rivers has been getting murdered.

Plenty of people to choose from in the second round also. I'm firmly on board with taking a CB in the first since skill positions are so thin in this draft.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Fry

And our track record drafting OL at the top is that much better?

• High Five High Five x 4
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  6. Fry

I think the worst thing we can do is overreact to the OL like we did in 2013. We threw big money at it and drafted it highly. Total overkill and it was still ****e. Throwing a **** ton of resources at it doesn't automatically make it good. We need to find the right guys.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  7. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Overkill is not good . . . but Tunsil is the right guy. Don't overkill . . . get the right guy at the top of the draft. We did good with Lewan I think and most think Tunsil is a better prospect.

8. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Better than FA signings, yes. Lewan and Warmack are far better than Oher, Levitre, and Bell combined.

9. Fry

3 top-11 picks on the offensive line is overkill. Those are premium selections used on non-premium positions.

• High Five High Five x 4
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

So you mean overkill over the several years? I don' think you can measure it that way. Each year is different and you have to look at what you need most and the best talent you have. You can't make decisions by saying, "well we have taken two lineman early in the last four years, so we can't take one now to fill a huge need with a perfect that fills it perfectly". That should not play a role in our decision making.

I would say take the best player available in any draft and if you have two-three with the same grade then you go with need. I don't think any CB will grade out better than Tunsil, and tackle is a bigger need in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar