True grit

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by CRUDS, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I'm going to see "The Eagle" on Friday...

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Black Swan, The Eagle (even though Channing Tatum will make me want to shake any potential as an actor he may have out of him), The King's Speech

Those are really the only ones on my list at the moment.

You can't tell me that 'The Coen Brothers' didn't make most people automatically decide they'd love True Grit before even seeing it. That much is obvious. I doubt anyone can explain what makes that movie top 10 on the year.

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I don't get Channing Tatum in dramatic roles at all.. He's born for Fast n Furious films or white-boy Hip Hop movies co-starring Eminem...

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Deuce Wayne

He has 2 looks... and the jaw bite he does over and over to show "anger" is one of them. I gave him a pass for a while, thinking he just seems scared to let it all hang out as a character... but nah. When you're in a gladiator style film and still talk the way you did it Step Up (the dance movie)... there's a problem.

5. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Just because YOU didn't like something, doesn't mean that you were impervious to the oh-so-apparent brain-washing effect of the Coen Brothers, convincing everyone of that their mediocrity is watchable via name only.

Some people, believe it or not, have a differing opinion and liked the direction, the acting, and the writing - all of which are top notch.

6. Deuce Wayne

Are you trying to convince me that people have "different" opinions... by all being the same?

Sorry. I know some people apparently said they liked that film. That's fine. I doubt they can justify their liking of it, but that's the way people are these days. If you tell them something is great just enough... they'll believe it without question.

7. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

No, not really. Here are a list of films (off the top of my head) that people have told me I'm crazy for not liking...

1) Inception (best picture nominee)
    2) The Kings Speech (best picture nominee)
    3) Rocky (best picture winner)
    4) Platoon (best picture winner)
    5) Gone With the Wind (best picture winner)
    6) Annie Hall (best picture winner)
    7) Manhattan (critically applauded, nominated for 2 academy awards)
    8) Singing in the Rain (number 5 in AFI's list of top films)
    9) Avatar (highest grossing film of all time)
    10) Crash (best picture winner)
    11) The Hangover (golden globe winner for best picture-comedy)
    12) Five Easy Pieces (nominated for best picture)
    13) Kramer vs. Kramer (best picture winner)
    14) Titanic (best picture winner, another high grossing film)
    15) Million Dollar Baby (best picture winner)

and the list goes on and on and on and on...

So tell me, how do "people" fall for what's supposedly great?

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

And what if they do? Who gives a ****. Just like what you like. People get so annoyed when films are universally applauded, and they don't get it or if they do get it, think it's whatever. I thought Crash (2004) was the biggest POS to get nominated for best picture (and won), but I'm not going to let the media or Academy tell me what is good.

If you didn't like the film, that's cool. It's not for everyone, and some think that the original was better (which I'd disagree greatly with).

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Deuce Wayne

^Yeah. Hmm...

I don't know how people could dislike many of those on that list. Some great stories with great characters there.

But that's the beauty of it. Some I agree on too.

Crash is a favorite. Inception was amazing. Rocky is the best sports movie of all time. Singing in the Rain is great, but I'm a theater nerd. Avatar was the best movie experience I've had... but mostly due to the 3d. Titanic was great- though most hate it because every female loved it. See also: The Notebook.
    The Hangover was overrated. Platoon is meh. Million Dollar Baby was boring, but alright I suppose.

10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

That Seinfeld girl was really great though...Damon was a miscast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar