Top Ten Quarterbacks in the League...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by BigRed3, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

deeluxx3 is right. His less than 8,000 yards receiving for his career is not even good enough to make the top50 list. He is behind several tight ends and Ricky Proehl, actually. He has no super bowl rings. Unless there is a drastic and exceedingly unlikely change of events before he retires, he doesn't stand a chance.

2. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I can't believe that I missed where RollTide listed Brad Hopkins as a near HOF lol. He made 2 pro bowls. I can't think of any linemen that have made the HOF without a super bowl ring or at least double that many pro bowls. That is not "near" my friend. That is "not even close".

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Near hof...?

Debatable to be sure but nobody can deny that eddie, wycheck, mason, hopkins, neal were all darn good players who had distinquished careers and did make more than one pro bowl and matthews is one of the best ever. Mcnair played with all of those guys at the same time!

. Nobody would be upset having to play with those guys. Have the careers of willie parker, randle el, burress been better? Only ward is a near hall kind of guy and you all damn know that bettis was not in his prime in 05. Far from it. And burress wasn't there in 05 at all..

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

A lower level of competition..

This is so stupid there is a division 2 in the nfl now? WTF are you talking about?

In 05 the steelers played 4 post season games against teams with records of:
    11-5
    14-2
    13-3
    13-3

None of those games were at home and three were on the road. Normal analysis would give the starting QB of that SUPER BOWL WINNING TEAM some credit. Steve mcnair led the titans to a 4-12 record and played all of those teams that year and lost to them.

This isn't college we are not comparing the big ten to the mid american.

The stupidity of this thread is that someone can put up a QB on their list who hasn't won a damn playoff game like phillip rivers or who has not even played in one like vince, huard, cutler, lienart but roelisberger, who has won 5 playoff games and won the super bowl just a year ago and was the QB of a 15-1 team just 2 years ago is some sort of radical choice. Dumb!

And WTF does charlie ward have to do with anything? He played at the highest level and won a damn heisman. :rolleyes:

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Playoff wins..04-06

Roethlisberger-5
    Pennington-1
    Vick-1
    Brees-1
    Brunell-1
    Mcnair-vince young, huard, cutler, lienart, phillips, , leftwich, b johnson t green--0

Oh yes folks roethlisberger has won 5 more playoff games than trent green has won in his life! But he is the bizarre choice to make the top 10, he is the one that needs 55 posts with stupid analysis to argue why he doesn't belong. All those other guys are cool. Huard? Legend! Gay cutler? Already among the elite. But roethlisberger? He sucks.

Is there a pill for this? Please someone there must be a cure for this moronic thinking.

Remember i listed roethlisberger 8th.

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Look, I'm not going to make the same post explaining my analogy again. Go back and read it.

So now, winning is the only criteria we should be using? Oh, I see. When it fits your argument, you change the criteria. Gotcha.

FYI I never said that Roethlisberger is a bad quarterback. I never said he wasn't top 10. Actually, he is at least about even with the Steve McNair of today. That has nothing to do with what I'm arguing. Maybe you should try to keep up. This is what the debate is about:

Moving on...

You're right. We're not. Again, reading comprehension is your friend.

When we are trying to predict who will be a top 10 quarterback next season, the most logical criteria is how he played last year. There is also the historical improvement than a quarterback makes from year 1 to year 2. I would still put Roethlisberger in my top 10, but I don't really see how you can knock some of those picks and still defend Roethlisberger.

Oh, but he didn't play at the highest level. The NFL is the highest level. For the third time now, this analogy is about why level of competition (you know, those stats that you tried to dismiss saying that they don't matter because a great quarterback puts up 55 points anyways) does matter. Charlie Ward put up Heisman-caliber stats at Florida State. Much better than what Roethlisberger has put up for the Steelers. So, by your own logic, Charlie Ward is better. He put up 55 points on those top defenses !!! He must be Joe Montana !!!

7. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Guest

Slick Rick says, there are many good quarterbacks in the league. Slick Rick says, it would be tough to rank 10.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

2008 is confused..

What are you talking about this is the damn nfl nobody plays a college like schedule. You keep talking about "level of competition" but roethlisberger plays against good teams just as often as anyone. He plays in the damn afc north for crying out loud.

I already admitted that mcnair maybe played against defenses that were a little better on average in the post season but you make the general comment about "level of competition" over and over as if roethlisberger played in some league other than the nfl. He won a damn super bowl by beating 4 straight teams with a combined 51-13 record. That is the highest level of competition in the world. He beat the teams with the best records in the whole damn league. Stop this bullcrap it's moronic! And if you agree that roethlisberger is a top 10 QB wtf is this discussion about?

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Same level of competition?

How about play against the same team? Is the same team the same "level of competition"? I'm sure even that doesn't count in the land of bizzarro.

Steve mcnair career vs baltimore:(In the billick era)
    10 games
    Comp % 54%
    yards per game 185
    6tds vs 12ints
    Passing rating62

Ben roethlisberger career vs baltimore:
    5 games
    comp % 57%
    205 yards per game
    7tds vs 8ints
    passing rating 73

The average ranking in total defense for the baltimore ravens in the last 3 seasons is 3.66. That is the defense that roethlisberger faced.

I can't wait for some :moon2: inine analysis on this one.

10. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

You know what, if you still don't understand after 3 attempts, perhaps you should google "analogy". I even said that it was an extreme analogy.

During the years that we were debating, I posted the average stats for the teams he has faced in the postseason. Then, I did the same for McNair (you know, like in a comparison).

Yes, you did. And by "a little", you mean 8 spots. That is 1/4 of the teams in the NFL. I think that qualifies as more than "a little".

I keep bringing up level of competition because you said it didn't matter. After your admission that McNair played tougher defenses in the postseason, you dismissed it saying that it didn't matter because a great quarterback (as if that is the criteria we are judging by... we only mean top 10, not HOF but I'll ignore that for now) would put up the numbers anyways. You even cited Joe Montana. What he has to do with McNair I'm not really sure, but I digress. I'm sure I could pull up some lame stats that show that even the likes of Joe Montana and other great quarterbacks put up lesser stats against better defenses. The bottom line is this: No matter who you are, level of competition matters. That includes Ben Roethlisberger, Steve McNair, and yes... even Joe Montana.

He did? That's funny. I distinctly remember the PITTSBURGH STEELERS winning those four games.

The NFL, in general, is the highest level of competition in the world. However, as the stats clearly show (do I really need to repaste them???), McNair played tougher defenses with less talent around him than Roethlisberger did. End of story. There is no debate. There is no "well they are all in the NFL" argument here. The Raiders are not the same level of competition as the Colts.

Maybe you should read my last post instead of ignoring every relevant point like you have this entire thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar