Tommy Smith: Titans working to improve

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans coach Mike Munchak said earlier this week he believes his team is headed in the “right direction” despite the 5-8 record.

I asked Titans president and CEO Tommy Smith if he agrees. He went back to the end of last year as a starting point.

After a 6-10 finish in 2012, the Titans spent over $100 million in free agency. Last offseason, the Titans also beefed up the offensive line in the draft by adding two players who are now starters – Chance Warmack and Brian Schwenke.

The Titans began this season with over 20 new players.

Titans General Manager Ruston Webster oversaw the overhaul, which Smith said isn’t over.

“I think the initial steps have been very positive. I like the nucleus of our offensive line. I know we have work to do, but we have two rookies and they need this experience. I think the defensive line players have stepped up. There are areas we need to improve, no doubt about it. But I like the basic structure of the team,’’ Smith said.

“Ruston said he was going to bring in competition, and people were going to be uncomfortable. Well, we’re going to continue to bring in competition — there’s no question about that. We’ll be active in free agency, the best our salary cap will allow us to be. We are only going to keep players who we think will contribute, and earn their keep.”

Smith indicated the Titans are in a step-by-step process.

“We have a plan in place. I hate to use the words rebuilding effort, but we are going through changes,’’ he said. “I think Ruston did a very good job of filling in the holes in free agency and the draft. I am very pleased with the nucleus that we have here. I think we have a lot more work to do, it’s very clear. … Now, let’s continue to build on what we do have.”

Smith said he’s happy with the job Webster has done since taking over for Mike Reinfeldt.

He also praised Executive Vice President Don MacLachlan.

“We see eye to eye on almost everything. I enjoy working with him,’’ Smith said of Webster. “He is a knowledgeable football man. And we are lucky to have him. I am very pleased with him.

“And I am very pleased with Don. …We care what the fans think. I am kind of a unique guy. I don’t just show up at the games to watch a football game. I worry about every aspect, from ingress to egress. I worry about the quality of our concessions to the cleanliness of our bathrooms. All those things matter to me and they matter greatly and they matter to Don and his staff and I am very pleased he’s been able to get in with so many hundreds of our fans and get their input so we can hopefully make this a better environment for them and more enjoyable across the board.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

If Munchak is retained this year this needs to happen

I want to see a restructured deal for Chris Johnson or his release
    A more created offense from Loggains or a new coordinator (Joe Lombardi anyone :brow:)
    New position coaches linebackers, defensive line, and special teams most importantly

3. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Its hard to not like what he is saying.

Even if he decides to keep Munch, making this team more talented will lead to wins.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Add firing Bruce Matthews to the list.

this is PR phase I to soften the blow in case we win out and Munchak makes a reasonable case to Smith to retain him.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Alzarius

I really dont think that winning these last 3 games is what would save Munchak's job. We need to win games that matter.

I have thought for a while that Munch will be back next season.

We lost to the Jags once, but that was due to turnovers. I see no reason why we wont beat them. Houston played their best game of the season against us, and I dont see that as a loss either. However the decision to keep Munch, should be based on the first time we played them, as well as the colts, and a few other games. There are enough "excuses" to keep Munch around.

What I do like hearing, is that he wants to improve this team and that he is going to be chasing players. Thats what I like hearing. Next year is not lost if we keep Munch. It is, if we dont upgrade the team and they play better/get replaced by better players.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree there is always room to improve our players. However, I disagree that we didn't have the talent necessary to win those close games. That IMO falls squarely on our poor O schemes, play-calling, OL play , ST's staffing decisions etc.

Winning out will mitigate the anger of a % of fans who are presently irate. If Smith weren't needing the stands full of satisfied fans, I have no doubt he'd keep Munch based on his comments. But he is running a business and his customers aren't happy with Munchak. Whether fan dissatisfaction with Munchak is valid or not, it doesn't matter. They pay the bills, buy the merchandise, concessions, etc. Smith has to keep them happy. So what we are seeing with the most recent press is Smith field testing the public to see if he can strike a cord of sympathy, empathy, or even understanding of the benefits of keeping Munch. Couple the right words with a few wins is the right formula to hopefully get a majority of fans to support keeping Munch through his contract.

Personally, Munchak has proven himself inept. He lost home games against beatable opponents. That's inexcusable. 4-12 in the division also inexcusable. The record speaks for itself. Munch should go. It's possible a significant % of disgruntled fans would be satisfied if Bruce Matthews, Chet Parlevechio etc were to be replaced but I doubt that would happen or be effective to pacify unhappy fans if it did.+

• High Five High Five x 4
  7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Here's my problem with that. There are always "reasons" why you lost a particular game. You don't get to excuse them because of "too many turnovers" or "X Team played their best game of the season". If that were the case then no HC would ever deserve to be fired.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Also, $1,000 moolah says the Texans beat us week 17.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I'd be cool if that happened.

I'd also bet on the Jags winning as well. Every time I go to a Jaguars game they win. First home win of the season last year was when they played Tennessee in Jacksonville. I went to that game. I went to their first home win of this season when they played Houston on Thursday Night Football. I don't think I've seen a Titan win live in Jacksonville but once.

Book it.

10. Alzarius

I really wish I saw it. Looking around the league and how no names make impacts every week, I feel our view of our talent is jaded since we know our players the best. The potential is there, but talent is dependent on results. When I sit down and look at our roster, I do see some talent, and yes some of it is not being utilized like it should be. Linebackers come to mind.

I really do hope Im wrong, because if not we need quite a few players to step up, or to be replaced before we are as competitive as I want us to be.

Although I am not a fan of Lowry, I can understand why people would be upset over that. Reynaud should have been pulled much earlier imo, a glaring mistake by this staff.

As for the rest of your post, I agree with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar