Tom Watson owns Tiger Woods.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by jessestylex, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

"Woods is the first athlete in history to bank $100 million in a year, thanks in part to a raise he finagled out of long-time endorser Nike. (The sneaker giant's Tiger-oriented golf division is now a $600 million-a-year business.) He also signed a new deal with Gillette and upped his usual lucrative overseas playing gigs, where he can command, on average, $3 million a pop."

-Forbes
    http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/53/07celebrities_Tiger-Woods_WR6D.html

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

How many times will Deuce be proven wrong before he admits it?

My guess, he'll never admit it no matter how obvious.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

When the bar on a guys marketability is measured by the fact he isn't Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods I think we are getting a little ridiculous. It is about the same as saying a guy sucks as a honerun hitter if he can't hit homeruns like Hank Aaron or Babe Ruth (I left off any drug enhanced).

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Again, you guys are missing what I'm saying. Go ahead and post more pointless stats.

I understand he has many sponsors. I understand he makes tons of money from them. He still doesn't have a marketable IMAGE.

5. TitanJeff

Do you have a definition of "image" the rest of us don't?

6. Deuce Wayne

Apparently. Image is based on appearance to me...to you guys it apparently means something about the ability to make money? Since that's the info you give me as a rebuttal.

7. TitanJeff

I think I see the issue. To you "image" is just something visual (what it looks like, it's physical properties) when that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Companies who hire endorsers do so because "image", to them, is communicating a desired message designed to change the perceptions of potential customers of their product or service. They want endorsers who reflect that same image (see "corporate identity" or "branding") or even improve it. It's about the message.

The golf industry was led by TaylorMade and Titleist among others and Nike wants to jump into the mix. They bring in Woods who, if you follow much golf, pretty much is the image of perfection, toughness, confidence, dedication, excellence, etc. Tiger is a winner and those are qualities Nike wanted tied directly to their new golf line. Yeah, he looks good but if he missed the cut at every major for a couple of years, he'd see that endorsement money dry up in a hurry.

Do you think Nike makes a superior golf product? I seriously doubt it. They spend millions making sure you see Tiger every time you see their product and vice versa.

$100,000,000 in earning last year proves it was a success and why Tiger remains one of the few who continue to get endorsements when the market has dried up for many.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

In this somewhat free market we live in I go by the assumption that professionals working in marketing and promotion aren't stupid idiots that pay out millions of dollars to people to promote their products when those individuals are "completely unmarketable" or have no "image". As Jeff basically said companies hire endorsers to sell their product and they sure aren't going to spend millions to not get value for their dollar.

Like I said before. Using Woods and Jordon as if they were the definition of average "image" or "marketability" is ridiculous. Those guys are the the two biggest promotional guys in HISTORY. I agree Watson isn't as "marketable" or doesn't have the "image" they do but then again there are not many human beings born in the history of the entire human race that can meet those standards.

9. Deuce Wayne

Not really Jeff. You're mistaking image for who someone is. Image IS the tip of the ice-berg, you're right. That's what the image bit is. Which is what I'm saying Tiger doesn't have.

The rest, he has. He gets endorsements due to WHAT/WHO he is, but still doesn't have the image that some stars have that may even be less endorsed. Guys like Vick, Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, etc. Guys that can sell anything just because they're affiliated with it. People pretend to be them, want to be them, etc.
    Whereas Tiger, I think people want to be as good as him... just not him. The whole corny/dorky account manager personality he has isn't something people want to associate themselves with.

Basically- my wording when I said 'marketable' was wrong. Just as Peyton Manning is marketable. I just don't think these guys can put their face on a product and it will sell because of that like other guys.
    Tiger doesn't come off as "cool" to anyone, I don't think. He's the most dominant golfer. Luckily that's his profession, because he'd be a Larry Bird type in the NBA. Great? Sure. Cool? No way. haha

10. TitanJeff

Who ever said the goal is to get potential consumers to want to be the endorser? Do you honestly want to be Kobe when you see him in a commercial? That's getting into disorder territory.

The goal is to get people to believe that if they use the product being endorsed, they'll be able to gain some of the positive qualities the endorser has as already been discussed. It's designed to give more value to the product. It's that simple.

And Larry Bird was one of the most admired players during his time. He had plenty of endorsements back in the day where few athletes were being used. If he was playing now, he'd have endorsements out the wazoo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar