Today's Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'm not saying I'll concoct one a day or anything, but here's one I put together this morning for fun. It turns out not too bad I think. A lot of you will probably be like "Wha-?" and "Who dat?" a lot, but sometimes you're lucky to know half the names a team picks, or get why they did something. So, with that said, I think this fills some future holes pretty well.

A little context: I was entertaining a trade I would not want...just what I would do to land Cutler.

"First off, let me say, I don't want Cutler here. But if he was, I would shut my pie hole and accept it. I'm just saying that out loud so I'll accept it if it does happen. Anyway, I can see a pretty good trade scenario. You guys feel free to tweak it if you like it. Maybe some FO types will read it! Not.

Anyway, trade Collins, Jacob Ford and next year's second to Detroit for pick #20 overall.

Trade #20, VY, Scaife and LenDale, who is from Denver, to the Broncos for Cutler and Tony Scheffler. Alternately, I would try to give pick #30 and Justin Gage (as a backup for Brandon Marshall)."

I think this draft could probably work to some degree regardless. Before I start, let me say I would prefer to get Alex Mack in one and Sidbury in two, and not have to draft a RB early, but I'd be okay with this:

#30 - Lawrence Sidbury, DE, Richmond
    #62 - Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty
    #94 - Bruce Johnson, CB, Miami
    #130 - Frantz Joseph, LB, Florida Atlantic

#136 - Eron Riley, WR, Duke - sleeper pick
    "Eron Riley/WR/Duke: Riley, considered by most as a possession receiver, shocked scouts with his speed. He measured 6-3, 206 then blistered in the 40, clocking times which ranged between 4.30 and 4.36 . He posted a vertical jump of 40 inches and broad jump of 11-2. Riley then displayed the consistent hands he was known for at Duke during the position drills."

Sounds like a poor man's DHB.

#173 - Samuel Allen, OL, Grand Valley St. - feels about the right place to take an OL for the Titans.
    "ex-Grand Valley State left tackle Samuel Allen measured at 6'4" 7/8 and weighed 295 pounds at his pro day while running in the 4.88-4.91 range. He has attracted significant interest from the Atlanta, Tennessee and Houston."

#203 - Brandon Underwood, DB, Cincinnati - can play CB/S
    "Underwood is the least heralded defensive back from Cincinnati yet proved to be the fastest on pro day. His 40 times were as low as 4.41 and he looked terrific in position drills. The ability to effectively play cornerback or safety sets Underwood apart from many defensive backs in the draft."

#206 - Patrick Turner, WR, USC - Turner looked surprisingly good in combine drills and come on to a degree his senior season. He may go higher, but he would be a good backup to Gage to develop and bring along, IMO. Plus, Fisher is a USC guy, so I won't be surprised if the Titans keep an eye on him.

#239 - Khalif Mitchell, DT, East Carolina - go check the video of him lifting the OLineman off his feet during a recovery after slipping to his knees.

#242 - John Nalbone, TE, Monmouth
    "Monmouth TE John Nalbone measured in at 6-4 1/4 and 257 pounds. He ran a 4.75 and 4.81 40-yard dash, a 4.22 short shuttle and 6.97 three-cone drill, with a 30-inch vertical jump, 9-foot, 3-inch broad jump and 22 strength lifts. Two days later, Nalbone worked out in front of scouts at Monmouth University, where he measured in six pounds lighter at 251. There he posted a 4.63 and 4.66 40-yard dash, a 4.22 short shuttle, 6.94 three-cone-drill, a 30-inch vertical jump, 9-foot, 9-inch broad jump and 22 strength lifts."

2. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

RB with our second pick?.....dont think so

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'm starting to feel like I should lead with Mack in every mock because he will play probably for ten years and most of the rest of the picks won't.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

You're right. It'll probably be our first. :lol: :grrhee:

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Really, though, I'd immediately rewrite it as

1) Alex Mack
    2) Larry English

(both these players are pretty nasty)

then the rest.

Again, the above is what I wrote in the context of the trade scenario, in which we lose a RB.

6. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

I'm waiting on "April fools" to pop-up beside Sidbury's name.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'm preparing everyone for the worst. Imagine how much better you'll feel when he's not the pick.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

You sound more obsessed than ME! :)

FYI, picks next year are generally considered equivalent to a round later. So a first next year would be equal to a 2nd rnd pick this year. So your trade is Collins, a back up DE and a 3rd for pick #20? No way! Then again, there's a (crazy in my opinion) trade saying #20 to the Browns for Quinn.

So you wanna give Denver - in essence - Collins, Ford, next year's second, VY, Scaife and Lendale for Cutler AND a player back? Let's see...virtually no one thinks VY has much of a chance to get back a starting job...he has zero trade value now. Collins is a bridge gap, so not a lot of value there either. Ford is a backup DE who would have to project to OLB in their scheme. He has zero value since he'd have to be taught how to play LB. They wouldn't want him. Scaife and Lendale are nice players...but they can get more for Cutler AND still get better players. Doesn't make any sense for Denver to make either of these trades.

I think this draft could probably work to some degree regardless. Before I start, let me say I would prefer to get Alex Mack in one and Sidbury in two, and not have to draft a RB early, but I'd be okay with this:

#30 - Alex Mack, OC - Not sexy or flashy, but this guy could be a Pro Bowl OC for the next decade!

#62 - Lawrence Sidbury, DE, Richmond - Probably the best pass rusher available but this is a reach for him. He's got a lot of work to do - especially against the run. Thing is...teams reach for pass rushers.

#94 - Bruce Johnson, CB, Miami - I like Johnson, but I don't think he fits our system. He's tiny (167lbs) and that will force him into the slot...but unlike most teams, we need a tough run defender playing nickel...which is why Fuller is there. I wouldn't take him just for #3 or #4 depth in the 3rd rnd...would take him later in the draft...like rnd 5 at the earliest. I expect several BIG CB's to be available in rnd 3 and one should be there for us.

#130 - Frantz Joseph, LB, Florida Atlantic - This is a little high for him but I think if you want him, you need to take him here because SD or Pitt could take him before our next 4th and I seriously doubt he'd fall to 173. A bit of a reach and I think he's basically a backup MLB who will be a tone setter on special teams and goal line D!!! I LIKE THIS KID!!!

#136 - Eron Riley, WR, Duke - Funny thing is...I can totally see us taking another superb athletically gifted athlete who SHOULD have dominated his opponents but didn't and will be a boom or bust project. Considering how good this WR class is, I would NOT take this guy here. Too many good WR's should still be available. This is a top notch WR class and we're a team lacking a top notch WR. There are probably a good 5+ WR's I'd take first. You don't take an iffy prospect with a lot of other talent available.

#173 - Samuel Allen, OL, Grand Valley St. - I like the player, but think he goes later.

#203 - Brandon Underwood, DB, Cincinnati - I don't think he can play CB in the NFL and as a FS, his only detriment is that he's a tad undersized. But he's a good player and I think long gone.

#206 - Patrick Turner, WR, USC - Another size potential WR I wouldn't touch til later. Probably better WR's or returners. And our OC is no longer from USC!

#239 - Khalif Mitchell, DT, East Carolina - Like the pick. Could see us taking him.

#242 - John Nalbone, TE, Monmouth - Don't like the pick. Think the Titans go after DL, OL (most likely), CB and or a returner. This year, could very well take a punter![/QUOTE]

I swapped out Mack and Sidbury. Jennings I don't see lasting til the end of rnd 2 anyway. My comments in bold...

Gut

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yeah...

Wait til they take Shonne Green or Brandon Pettigrew at #30!!!

Gut

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

:lol: Well, I haven't considered Greene yet, but I have prepared for "The Pettigrew Scenario." I look at Pettigrew as getting the next Crumpler at best. Also, he would improve the run and passing games. If Stevens pans out as a blocker as well, it could be a nasty run-blocking line -- and if his pass-catching comes along as it is rumored to eventually, we could have some nice two TE sets where the passing option isn't as evident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar