Today would be a good day to backup your PC

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Starkiller, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK then, what does the average PC user do that they can't do on a current Mac using either the same software or equivalent Mac software?

People who want to build their own computer can use Windows or Linux if they want. More power to them.

Those aren't the people who necessarily would be better off with a Mac (they might, but not in general). The people who would be better off with a Mac are the ones who don't want to tinker too much, they just want to use the software thet comes with a computer and that runs right out of the box.

And that's why Macs are better for the average computer user. Windows is clunky and insecure.

Most people don't play games that can't be found on a Mac. Many do, but not most.

I didn't call a PC a toy. I said it can be used as a toy. My point is that if the only reason that you want a PC over a Mac is games, then you can get a gaming console.

Plus, the toy comment is one of my favorites because for years (long ago), PC people called Macs "toys" because they were much easier to use and easy on the eyes. So, as it seems to me, PCs are the toys because that's where the games are. Serious people could always use the Mac, but if you wanted a toy it was going to be a PC.

Can you force it to be a secure and yet still functional computer without knowing a lot about the inner-workings? No... That's why the Mac is better for most people.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I guess I would call "normal" part of the 90+% group. Of course your argument could be flipped completly cause even the specialized apps that the MAC excels at CAN be done on a PC.

Agreed

One of the things I don't use is Outlook. That thing is a HUGE hacker magnet. Whenever I install Windows - haven't done it since I put XP on my laptop, I never even load Outlook. Easy enough not to use at all. Matter of fact there are numerous Windows components I do not ever install.

Again going back to CivIV there seems to be quite a few people, myself included, who like this game. Having said that I have not played it in a few weeks - it is quite a time hog. But I could if I wanted too. I am seriously asking this? Do those EA sports titles come out on the MAC? I do not play them but a bunch of people do.

Actually there are a handful of programs that were/are PC only that made it a no brainer for me to go PC, that and the customization aspect.

Agreed, except that there are so many programs that take the work aspect
    away from being secure. I use Norton's Personal Firewall/Antivirus and Adaware along with Fix-it Utilities. Most of these things run happily in the background and some I just run while I sleep. But I agree there is a certain ammount of disicipline involved with keeping a PC running good. Another point with the whole security issue is the current 3% MAC market share combined with their being a lack of hatred for Jobs vs Gates. I am sure that there are other more technical reasons also.

And you were correct Starkiller I was referencing those older MACs and their color combos. I was not aware that MACs had done away with that bit of personality.

BTW to the best of my knowledge I own no MS or Intel stock I just kinda get annoyed sometimes with the MAC owners holier than thou attitudes.

3. Mac owners defininitely act cult-like at times. I should know, I am one (Mac user, not cult member...). And I'll freely admit that many people are better off with PCs and that Mcas are far from perfect. I just think that for the average person, Macs are the way to go.

The biggest problems is the security issue. I agree that having good antivirus and firewall and antispyware software makes a big difference. But I can tell you from professional experience that most people are not particularly computer savy. Assuming they can even use their computer well, they have no clue what software they need to keep them secure or how to use it. And when they get a warning saying there could be a problem, they have no idea what to do. It's easy to us, but to them they might as well be asked to build a computer from scratch.

Certainly Apple is somewhat more secure because they aren't a major force in the marketplace. But a lot of it is technological as well. You can't install software that affects the OS on a mac without putting in your password. That alone is a big advantage over Windows. Plus, Microsoft has built so many security holes into Windows over the years versus OS X, it isn't even funny. Not that OS X is an impregnable fortress, but it's far more sturdy.

4. WINE on Intel Macs
    http://osx86project.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=112&Itemid=2

For those who don't know, WINE was developed as a way to run Windows programs on Linux/UNIX boxes with Intel processors. It is now being ported to run on Intel Macs. It's not emulation, so it runs basically as fast in Linux as programs normally run in Windows.

So Intel Macs will soon be able to run a number of Windows programs as well.

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I grew up on Mac computers, but I've been using Windows at work and at home for the last several years. Both have their place.

A Macintosh is a thing of beauty. The OS is slick, stable and intuitive. As mentioned before, if you are in certain industries like recording or art, you've got to have a Mac.

Windows is designed for business. Sure, they have a "Home Edition", but it's just a dumbed down spinoff of the Professional business version. The majority of "off the shelf" products designed for business are only available on the Windows platform.

The sheer amount of hardware peripherals and software packages available make it difficult to pass on Windows, even for a basic home user.

SK is exactly right, though, if you want to browse the web, view or listen to digital entertainment, and do basic word processing/spreadsheet stuff, a Macintosh is a good choice.

If interoperability is an issue, for instance if you would like to connect to your desktop PC from home through the server at your office, you'll probably need to go with Windows.

Windows Vista, the replacement for XP will be coming out soon and the screen shots look very Mac like.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.aspx

That's what Microsoft has always done, let Apple design and develop something and then steal the best parts of it. I won't get into the philosophical reasoning behind choosing an OS, that would take a book (there probably are several books out there).

I've found that with a small amount of vigilance, spyware, viruses, etc. are easily avoided. Set your computer to automatically install Windows Updates, install the free Microsoft Spyware tool and make sure you have Norton antivirus installed and you'll likely never have an issue. That sounds like a lot of stuff, but it all runs by itself after install.

Both operating systems are very good, you just need to think about what you'll be using your computer to do before making a decision. The real issue is the user, a bad user can make trash out of the best OS.

6. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Once again, Mac pioneers something and Microsoft implements it. I have heard this feature is a part of Vista.

7. maximus

maximus Starter

Windows sidebar is the same as the Mac whatever you call it.

Windows the copycat

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

it's called the "Dock"

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I see that Vista also hijacks Mac's "Spotlight" and "Expose"

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

10. maximus

maximus Starter

Clearly Windows understands this.
    Its Bill Gates way of saying, You rock Steve Jobs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar