Titans WR History

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by HurrayTitans!, Jun 10, 2018.

?
  1. 2000 - Chris Sanders, Thigpen, Pickens, Mason, TE Wycheck

3.2%
  2. 2002 - Dyson, Mason, Bennett, McCareins, TE - Wycheck

61.3%
  3. 2003 - Mason, Bennett, McCareins, Calico, TE Wycheck, Kinney

19.4%
  4. 2009 - Britt, Washington, Gage, TE Scaife, Crumpler, Cook(R)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2012 - Washington, Wright, Britt, Brandon Williams, TE Cook, Stevens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 2018 - Davis, RM18, Taylor, Sharpe, TE DW, Jonhu Smith

12.9%
  7. Other

3.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

So it's the offseason and boring so I looked into the awful history of WR corps the Titans have put together over the years. It doesn't surprise me when people get excited over 4th round picks like Lavelle Hawkins or 5th round pick Tajae Sharpe because of how bad this team has been at WR.

Whether due to injuries, underperformance or whatever, the Titans never seem to put it together in the receiving game outside of the weird 2004 year where Drew Bennett went off matched with Mason.

I listed 2000 based on the promise of having former start Thigpen and Pickens who just got injured which led to garbage but I can't remember signing such big name WR outside of Moss for 1/2 an unused season.

That said, which year do you think was our best? Obviously the current roster is based off prediction, but I think it stacks up well against the piles of crap that have been trotted out over the years.

Personal note, I also vote for the 2005 WR corps as the absolute worst. Drew Bennett, Courtney Roby, Brandon Jones, Tyrone Calico, Roydell Williams, Erron Kinney, Ben Troupe and rookie Bo Scaife.
    2006 was just as bad.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

The Dyson/Mason days maybe? I’d argue our current corps could be excellent in the new system if Davis takes the next step, and the system is used right.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. HurrayTitans!

The only year where Dyson and Mason were both productive as WR (Mason did the KR/PR) was in 2002.

Dyson just couldn't really stay healthy for me to pick him over the production Bennett gave and Wycheck really got better as Dyson's time in Tennessee was ending.

I picked the 03 year because Wycheck was a stud, Mason was a legit WR threat, Bennett was showing capable of being a #2, McCareins had his best year and Calico actually did alright as a rookie that year. It was the only year we would ever get production out of that guy. Erron Kinney also became a really good early version of Craig Stevens.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Yeah, sounds solid to me. It’s been so damn long since we have had a true WR team. Britt was our last solid one, and even he had issues and caught the ball off his chest lol. I really hope this young core and get some chemistry going.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I was typing out a very similar thread about Titans WRs over the years last week, then it made me sad so I trashed it.

This might be the worst franchise ever for WRs...

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  6. HurrayTitans!

I actually had a much sadder version written and with no poll.

I decided to share in the sadness with everyone else and at least give everyone a chance to reflect on the couple shining moments the Titans have had since moving to Tennessee in regards to someone catching the F'n ball.

7. JCBRAVE

At least I get to say Randy Moss was my favorite Titans WR, even if he had nothing left when he came here. Only took Fisher 13 years to right that wrong when he passed on Moss for Dyson.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. HurrayTitans!

There is no possible way to compare the two and it was even disappointing when Moss got here just to not be used, but I think if Dyson had avoided injuries, he may have had a pretty good career in Tennessee.

If Dyson could have even been a consistent 700 yard 5 TD guy, I would look back at that missed pick on Moss a lot less angry. Instead, thanks to a Mason injury, Dyson will forever only be remembered for being the guy to catch Wycheck's throw on the MCM.

If not for that play, Dyson may be the most hated WR in Titans history because he was taken instead of Moss. The lack of production, to what was expected, of every bust pick is still less than the production difference between Moss and Dyson.

9. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

We’s come here to die
    .................If they blossom here they move on

10. JCBRAVE

Moss pulled off miracles weekly with Minn/Oak/NE, but of course as a Titans WR the dude fell off the face of the planet.

I'd HATE to be a Titans WR, they're cursed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar