Titans would've been “in the conversation” for Williams

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

The Titans will see a familiar face this Sunday when they travel to Buffalo.

Tennessee will face old foe Mario Williams, the talented defensive end who spent his first six seasons with the Houston Texans before signing with the Bills during the offseason.

Head coach Mike Munchak confirmed Monday that, had the Titans not been heavily involved in the Peyton Manning pursuit, they would have been in the mix for Williams. But whether the team could have seriously competed with Buffalo, which signed Williams to a six-year, $100 million deal, is another matter.

“I think we were obviously going to talk to him,” Munchak said. “Just like anything, everyone has interest. But financially it’s a business. I don’t know if we would have been able to work out what he wanted.

“It’s just like when we tried to sign our own guys or try to sign some of the linemen we brought in … We’d like to have gotten a few people but unfortunately, because of what they wanted or how it fit, it wouldn’t have worked out.”

The Titans wound up signing defensive end Kamerion Wimbley to a five-year, $35 million deal. Through six games, Wimbley has 12 tackles and a sack for the Titans, while Williams has 14 tackles and 3.5 sacks for the Bills.

“We all know what a great player he is,” Munchak said of Williams, the number one overall pick in the 2006 draft. “We played against him twice a year so yeah, we wanted to get someone like him. That was the thinking then.

“We ended up getting Wimbley, which we are happy about. But I think at the time, we were definitely going to be in the conversation (for Williams).”

Source: Titans Insider

Attached Files:

2. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

Who cares? The guy hasn't been worth the price tag he got this year. Consider ourselves lucky for once.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

neither team is doing good IMO

KW is at $7m a sac while MW is at $4.76m a sac

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Thanks Bud.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm glad we didn't get Mario.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Me too, but I doubt Mario is the only guy we missed out on because the old man got a boner for Peyton. One of those centers signing would have been nice, but we had to wait on Peyton to make a decision to know of we were going to waste $25 million worth of cap space on a broken down QB who has the same amount of wins as this crappy team.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I still do not think Bud getting involved with Peyton screwed us out of a center. Honestly, if I was a FA center, I would have loved to have come to TN.

2 great tackles in Roos and Stewart, Hutch signing, CJ in the backfield and a veteran QB if something goes wrong. Seems like a nice situation to get into.

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Woulda, coulda, shoulda........ What a crock of chit. How just admitting we effed up rather than this excuse making. Manning had nothing to do with the draft.

9. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

Yet for some reason he'll go off and have like 10 sacks against us, just watch

10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I am glad we ended up without Gayton and Williams... and I wanted us to get Gayton badly back then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar