Titans Work on Passing Game

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

All I know from what I've seen so far (and that includes being very erratic and inconsistent in practices I have watched) is VY must of had the guys over to play Madden based on the results instead of playing real football.

Basically the issue isn't that VY needs to make dramatic changes to what he is doing, he just needs to fine tune his delivery. In baseball you can take a kid with a good arm but poor mechanics and make a few adjustments and dramatically improve his accuracy. VY should have been working on these things in the off season. When you have a hard time throwing short passes that isn't something that should be real hard to correct and not something a 50 million dollar 3rd pick in the draft guy should be struggling with.

Knowing VY I am confident he will improve, I'm just a little concerned why he hasn't shown more improvement mechanically in the off season. He has improved in the mental parts of the game but the physical, mechanical part should actually be the easier part for a guy with his athletic ability.

2. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

what are you talking about???

3. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

He's just talkin about Lendale...

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

that may be a valid point. mack brown already tried all this "coaching" to no avail. when he let vince be vince is when he started to shine.

5. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Care to think how many QB's were fantastic in college and failed in the pros? The league is getting a "book" on Vince, just like they did Vick.....they will soon shut down his run if there is no threat of a pass. That is why it is imperative he get his passing skills up, and why some on this forum are concerned. The Jags and Pats already have his number, and soon other teams will figure it out. It won't help much if Vince learns to read coverages if he can't deliver the ball on target.

6. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

I don't disagree with your overall point, but your Vick example is not a good one. This is from the Atalanta Falcons webpage:

Started all 16 games for the first time in his career and set numerous career highs in both passing and rushing. Completed 204 of 388 passes for 2,474 yards with a career-high 20 touchdowns to go along with 13 interceptions. Also rushed for a career-high 1,039 yards on a career-high 123 attempts with two touchdowns. His 8.4 yards per carry ranks the highest in NFL history for all players with at least 100 carries

I agree that teams are going to be able to gameplan for Young better this season, with a year of games to study. But that didn't really limit Vick's running last year.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

VY might always be the kind of QB that is hard to contain even if teams scheme to stop him however the big question is can he win the big games if he doesn't become a better passer to go with his running ability. We need more from him in big games like the one against the Patriots where we were essentially in a playoff game (note: the Pats didn't even have to win that game and still beat the snot out of us). VY might put up some good stats but not every game is going to be against the Texans. No way did VY do enough against the Jags in Nashville to win that game.

8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Yeah, I know Vick put up some numbers..but what I was getting at...Vick runs up and down the field, but doesn't accomplish anything. Other teams had learned to contain him for the most part, and he got yards that didn't mean much, as far as wins. Just as Soxcat says, VY needs to be a game winner....and do it when it counts. He runs better than any QB in the league right now, but I think that window will close eventually.

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

His biggest problem seems to be just habit, which I think is a good thing - because with work you can change a habit. He's got the arm strength, he's got the football smarts, he's learning to read defenses, when he gets his feet set he can deliver the ball accurately (and oddly when he's on the run he can, too). He's just developed a bad habit of flicking the ball on the seemingly easy routes. I don't think after one offseason we'll probably see a dramatic difference in his passing, but if he is working on it then we should see steady improvement this year as he re-develops his habit. It's good that in the meantime he can generally make up for his mistakes with his athleticism, but if he can eliminate those mistakes there is a real chance we could be back in the top of the league every year for a long time.

10. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Well I can't figure why Chow said he was going to work on this in the offseason, and I can't see one bit of difference or improvement...so far. Friday night should tell us more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar