Titans will not use their first-round pick on an offensive lineman this year

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by lilkhmerkid4u, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I wouldn't count out CB. We're big on 3 CB sets, and Verner and McCourty need a 3rd CB. I see Finnegan leaving, and if we don't sign a FA CB... 1st round CB wouldn't shock me.

I'd much rather have DL, S, or C... but still CB (Janoris Jenkins) wouldnt shock me

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Dude, no CB is coming off the board at 20, bet $$.

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I bet you one miiiiiiiiiiiiillllllioioioioiooooooon dollars...

[​IMG]

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree with some of these speculations and opinions. For starters, I doubt we draft a CB in the first. A lot of this will be based on that. I agree that it's a waste to lose Finnegan and then have to draft a CB in 1. That's not really gaining any ground, IMO.

I think the value spot at 20 will be DT or OG, depending on who's there. The lines are the priority. Yes, we could go a couple of surprise directions such as LB or WR if there's a player they love they don't expect to be there. But fundamentally, those lines have to get better now.

Regarding DT, I expect one to be picked no later than the 3rd round. The Titans' inability to stop the run led to weakness in playaction. If they can clog the middle, it'll take pressure off and improve the pass rush, meaning we can get more out of the players we already have and not prioritize it as much. I think a guy like Brandon Thompson will go a long way toward that at #20. If Devon Still falls, that pick's a done deal. Thompson's not a sexy pick, but he is a get-the-job-done pick. He'll eat up double teams and obscure passing lanes. Thompson/Casey/Klug with or without Jones on the line is a big upgrade for us.

Of the DEs, yeah, sure, I buy into Upshaw if he was around. And I can see Ingram risked upon, too. I still believe in that Brandon Graham type being a good fit for our line. I like the idea of being able to line people up in various positions, or moving them as needs demand.

But on the other side of that, I think the talent is extremely high with both Cordy Glenn and David DeCastro. I think in some years, there's a "right time" to do something. 2007 it was to draft a safety, 08 it was to draft a blazing RB, 09 it was to draft a receiver. Despite the coachspeak before the draft, I wouldn't rule out a guard. I think a guard is more likely than a center because of the number of other candidates we would still have to play center remaining - Amano/Harris, Velasco and Matthews. I won't rule out Konz, but I think the talent level at guard is higher and could be an instant impact, and that would lend to making the offense killer, perhaps more than another top receiving talent.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

But as far as receivers go, yeah, I'd be down with Kendall Wright. I'd like to keep Avery, but with Washington, Williams, Hawkins, Cook, Johnson and Britt alone, we have 6 guys who can all account for over 500 receiving yards per season. I don't know when we've ever been able to say that.

If we draft one, we have to lose one. That much seems certain. I'm down with Wright, but I'd like to give Avery another chance, too.

I think if they spend a draft pick on one, it might be late in the draft, 5th-7th. Maybe someone to challenge Mariani since we have Britt, Washington, Hawkins and Williams all safe.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

If I was to sum up who I think we'll draft in order of liklihood, not want, per se, I'd list them like:

1) Brandon Thompson, DT
    2) Cordy Glenn, OG
    3) Courtney Upshaw, DE,
    4) Michael Brockers, DT
    5) Nick Perry (if no other reason than to put him beside Casey), DE
    6) Peter Konz, C
    7) Melvin Ingram, DE
    8) Kendall Wright, WR
    9) Mike Martin, DT
    10) Mark Barron, S

And yes, depending on Combine and Pro Day results, I can see the Titans reaching for Martin in the first if he's the perfect DT for our team.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

The Titans just reaffirmed what I've been saying for the last three months; only truly special interior offensive linemen are worth a first round pick. The only special interior lineman in this draft is Dave DeCastro and he probably won't be available at 20.

Best available defender at 20.

• High Five High Five x 4
  9. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Before the combine it's hard to even guess who might fall to us at #20. The only positions that I would rule out at this point are QB, RB, WR, OT, K, and P.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I wouldn't rule out WR just yet. Kenny Britt still has plenty of time to do something incredibly stupid.

No jinx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar