Titans Will Look for Best Player Available

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by goTitans.com, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: The Titans spent the last two drafts addressing needs. In 2004, the goal was to replace DE Jevon Kearse and the team drafted Travis LaBoy, Antwan Odom and Bo Schobel. Last year, wide receiver and corner were key needs after the departure of Derrick Mason and a number of receivers along with Samari Rolle and Andre Dyson in the secondary. Most people expect the Titans to address some needs such as at QB, LB, S and possibly a third-down RB but GM Floyd Reese said the team is now in a position to look more at the best player available in this draft in the middle rounds. "I think one of the luxuries this year is we don’t have to draft that way this year," Reese said. "With the middle rounds, we are able to go ahead and take the best athlete, whatever he is. Anytime you can [take the best player], you always have a better draft."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I wouldn't be surprised to see them starting this manuever earlier, like in the first round. I'm not to sure the Titans will take a QB with #3.
    If Houston takes Bush, Saints take D'Brick, who will be the best player available at #3?

3. fitantitans

Mario?

4. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

pure BS......................

5. fitantitans

That's how we ended up with The Freak.

6. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I think they will take best player available with consideration of need. I mean, technically, we have 2 starting type RB, so we don't have an urgent need for RB, but if Bush fell and we didn't have a great trade offer, you would have to think they would take him as "best player available".

7. DC Titanfan

DC Titanfan Starter

I couldn't agree more, that this is total BS. All smokescreen.

This is a plant from the front office to scare New Orleans into keeping their pick. There is no way that NO takes a QB. And we don't want NO to trade their pick to another team in need of a QB (Jets, Raiders, Ravens). We want to have our choice of QBs.

Before this article, has anyone ever doubted that we would take a QB? This article is clearly intended to make New Orleans think twice about swapping with the Jets as a risk-free move.

Assuming Houston takes Bush first and NO takes Mario Williams second, then the strategy worked and we could even get the trade value that NO didn't capitalize on. For example, we could even trade back to the Jets or, if we want Young or Cutler, possibly even the Raiders spot and still get our guy.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

For the record, Reese said BPA in those middle rounds. I think people here are jumping to conclusion that it applied to pick #3. I think position will play a large role with pick #39 as well.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Exactly. The principle of BPA will not be active until 2nd round or later. I do think we could go BPA in the 2nd as well. If one of the RBs falls or a CB that could easily be the pick. Looks like this draft is loaded with mid to late 1st round CB talent.

10. ya but michael huff is by far the best he plays both cb and saftey and his 40 time was .01 slower than reggie bush

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar