Titans Want to Give Johnson More Opportunities in '09

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Chris Johnson has high goals as he enters his second season. "I want to be NFL MVP, and lead the league in rushing,'' Johnson said. "I want to be named to another Pro Bowl. I like to set my goals high, and everything is possible." The Titans plan on giving Johnson that opportunity by finding more ways for Johnson to touch the football. "There's places we can move him, routes we can run with him, looks we can do with him that we held back last year because I thought I was stretching him too much," offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger said. "But C.J. needs to show he can do those things and he'll work at it. And the more he shows the more we can give him. If C.J. wants to learn it and work at it then we have a chance to move him all around the place." Last season, Johnson had 1,488 yards from scrimmage ranked fifth in the AFC.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

lets hope...right now he is the best player on that offense...give him the ball as much as possible

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Johnson is amazing.

4. smileyforall

smileyforall Da Blue Mamba

I hope they don't give him too many carries and make him into eddie george.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

He wont be the next Eddie, and burn out after eight years. C.J. isn't the bruiser Eddie was, so to me that isn't a concern.
    Tennessee can't find enough touches to go around if C.J. gets more than he did last year in carries (he was a part of 300 plays), unless they can be more efficient. They do have LenDale who will demand 200+ carries, along with the TE's who usually account for 90+/- grabs. So that puts us at around 300+/- touches with about 700 possible plays to go, assuming everything gets caught and not bounced off the field. We will say roughly 50-60% of whats called gets executed correctly so in reality we have another 300 total plays to dish out. With Justin Gage expected to do more, Nate Washington to come in and demand balls, Kenny Britt now rocking in two tone blue, and new life at TE where will all the balls go? Giving C.J. (a finess player) more touches could tear some years off his future contracts. If Johnson is a Titan forever I'm only hoping he sticks around for 15+ years. He could be better than L.T., Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders etc. If it equates into another playoff birth, send C.J. 500 touches, but it may not and he did get broken in January with the 300 plays he made. What would happen to him with 400 plays under his belt?

6. smileyforall

smileyforall Da Blue Mamba

What I mean is that I dont think that running up the middle into 8 man boxes is going to prevent him from wearing down.

7. cjohnsonfan

cjohnsonfan loves her Titans

I have a lot of faith in him and I know he can get it done.

8. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

im kinda worried this guys head is gettin too big...i hope he doesnt forget he's running behind possibly the best line in football....behind one of the best FBs in the game too (Hall is a beast...could very well be the next lorenzo.)

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

:bighomer:

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It is a proven fact that the more carries a RB gets the shorter their career is. I'd be happy with a year just like last year only with a few more touches catching the ball. Marshall Faulk had just over 12000 yards rushing but added another almost 7000 yards receiving. I'd take 1200 yards rushing per year for the next 10 years with and additional 600 yards per year receiving for CJ. About 250 carries a year is perfect for him.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar